Foals

RarerThanDandyB

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

This is why I think they'll do a secret set rather than a billed one. An afternoon secret JP set in the same mould as The Killers' last time would generate more buzz and media interest than being a bog standard Other headliner.

Yup. If they're determined to play this year that's definitely the best option for them 

32 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

They take that Other slot and they’re giving up on headlining the big one anytime soon.

Personally I think... they wont be heading it in 2020 either way... so heading the Other this year coupled with a successful double album would put them in contention for 2021 I think...  

I dont think them heading Other this year will have any baring on future headline slots.... unless they tank and its a fucking shit show on the other?? haha 

Problem with Foals is that their most interesting and consistent works came out in 2008 and 2010. The first two albums. Since then two records have followed and both had good enough singles but that's it. They're a good band to watch live though that didn't necessarily translate that well in 2016. Stranger things have happened but a couple of years ago they were climbing up big line ups for the first time, subbing Glasto, headlining Reading... Now they're headlining Y Not, Truck and Boardmasters. As far as I'm aware, nothing much has happened in the past two years to warrant a decline but they certainly don't seem to be on the way up as they were. The two new records could of course change that but I'm not so sure.

30 minutes ago, Havors said:

I dont think them heading Other this year will have any baring on future headline slots.... unless they tank and its a fucking shit show on the other?? haha 

How many other acts have managed to go from headlining the Other to headlining the Pyramid? 

As Hugh says, taking that slot is an acceptance that that's their level. 

Having thought about it, you'd have to think they're some way off making that leap to pyramid headliner. Trying to think of somewhat similar bands/artists that headlined recently and their pathway - Foals don't seem to fit into any of them.

Stormzy is in there as he represents a significant culture in British music (and Britain?) today. Mumfords and AM had ridiculous first album success. Someone like Arcade Fire have just a monster of critical backing. The band they'd probably be most similar to is Kasabian in that they're homegrown and have grown in stature over a good amount of time and have climbed their way up bills. But by the time Kasabian were announced they had  3 number 1 albums and a genuinely massive single. The Florence route seems the most likely right now.

I was there for their sub slot in 2016 and it was flat, I don't think it was anything about their performance or setlist etc. I just think given what they rely on for their performances, a diluted crowd, just wasn't going to work. 

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

Problem with Foals is that their most interesting and consistent works came out in 2008 and 2010. The first two albums. Since then two records have followed and both had good enough singles but that's it. They're a good band to watch live though that didn't necessarily translate that well in 2016. Stranger things have happened but a couple of years ago they were climbing up big line ups for the first time, subbing Glasto, headlining Reading... Now they're headlining Y Not, Truck and Boardmasters. As far as I'm aware, nothing much has happened in the past two years to warrant a decline but they certainly don't seem to be on the way up as they were. The two new records could of course change that but I'm not so sure.

on the other hand, they haven't done anything since then, so it's not that surprising that they're not being booked for headlining R&L again, or are in the frame to be headlining G outright. headlining those festivals this summer is what you'd expect from a Pyramid-sub level act, so they're basically at the same level as 4 years ago after doing nothing.

as you say, the new albums might change that. I wouldn't be surprised if they're headlining R&L in 2020. Don't think they'll headline G unless they have more mainstream/pop hits, which doesn't seem to be the kind of music they want to make...

Reading this thread, I agree with a lot. But the more I think about, the more I think that they're this kinda unique band with a really strong cult following - those who like them love them - but they just don't have the mainstream following / success. (I'm not interested with backing this up with any kind of sales or streaming volumes).

I think there's something about them that hasn't cracked that crossover. Of the bands mentioned above (Kasabian, Florence, Mumford), none have that smaller cult following. Kasabian closest, but they've got that particular following. Florence is Radio 2 / parent friendly, fodder. 

There's always been the possibility that they 'progress' from the their more angular, less immediately accessible early stuff, into something 'popular'. I though Holy Fire was it (great record), but they've not made that step. 

Thinking of it, the closest comparison I think is Biffy. Hardcore following, not a universal household name, more difficult earlier material that's smoothed out since.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

The 2.5 years last time hindered them. Yannis even said WWD was a bit rushed and didn’t turn out how they’d have hoped. I don’t think if they released an album last March instead they’d be on any different path.

The dates this summer seem like a purposeful thing in getting back to smaller audiences in this country after years of huge fests and arenas and stuff. A lot does hinge on these albums though, because if they come back with arenas and huge slots in 2020 off the back of two sub-par albums then nobody’s gonna want it.

I agree with the small show part. I was a bit disappointed that they are doing smaller festival slots, but I those festivals are before part 2 of the album. Think they're starting with smaller dates/shows and probably will announce an arena tour when part 2 drops. See them headlining Reading next year, and maybe stepping away from Glastonbury. They are the sort of band that wouldn't mind accepting a lower slot than they probably think they deserve too, as they love Glastonbury 

Really don’t see these two new albums doing much to push them back to the forefront of the music scene or up lineups. WWD really did seem like their opportunity to seal the deal as festival headliners and instead it was just a diluted version of the album before, which itself was a diluted version of the album before that. I struggle to think of anything these new albums could contain that would give them another leg up and I kind of get the feeling from Exits that they’re maybe somewhat creatively spent. Hopefully I’m wrong and they just decided to lead off with a familiar sounding single. Headlining the big G seems a long long way off for them at this point though.

There is literally only 3 ways Foals are playing glasto. 

Sub Pyramid

Headline Other

Secret Set (Probably JP or The Park. I just feel like JP seems like they are kind of copy-pasting The Killers secret set. But only been to one glasto, don't know the history of secret sets that much.)

Considering anything else is ridiculous.

Weird one, Foals. One really good album away from being a headline band, but subsequently put out an average one and are now following it up by releasing two albums close together with a pretty weak lead single. They also haven't sold out their tour too quickly - they added a couple more dates after decent initial sales but there's plenty of tickets floating around. Something that wouldn't have been the case at all a couple of years ago.

Beginning of the end of them as a biggish band.

26 minutes ago, Sketchead said:

Weird one, Foals. One really good album away from being a headline band, but subsequently put out an average one and are now following it up by releasing two albums close together with a pretty weak lead single. They also haven't sold out their tour too quickly - they added a couple more dates after decent initial sales but there's plenty of tickets floating around. Something that wouldn't have been the case at all a couple of years ago.

Beginning of the end of them as a biggish band.

Quite a bold statement with not hearing the new album. I will reserve judgement. I thought what went down was a great album. 

Foals haven't crossed over in the way that your Mumfords and Kasabians have but they've been incredibly consistent album sales-wise and their Reading headline set proved they can pull off headlining a major festival.

It just takes a festival like Glastonbury to give them a chance headlining to turn them into an acceptable festival headliner.   

8 minutes ago, FakeEmpire said:

Foals haven't crossed over in the way that your Mumfords and Kasabians have but they've been incredibly consistent album sales-wise and their Reading headline set proved they can pull off headlining a major festival.

It just takes a festival like Glastonbury to give them a chance headlining to turn them into an acceptable festival headliner.   

Glasto would definitely give them that chance.... I just think the timing is all wrong. New album not out in time to drum up hype for headlinging this year and the 50th headliners will already be picked and booked I would imagine...

So even if this double album is brilliant they may have to wait until 2021??? 

My old man has every issue of Q. Bought it since the first issue and has a yearly subscription. Even he says it's been shite for the last 10 years or so. He just hasn't the heart to end his collection abruptly, much to my mother's chagrin.

Anyway, as you were x

8 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

My old man has every issue of Q. Bought it since the first issue and has a yearly subscription. Even he says it's been shite for the last 10 years or so. He just hasn't the heart to end his collection abruptly, much to my mother's chagrin.

Anyway, as you were x

I'd agree that it's changed in the last 10 years.  For the better, in my view, but I can understand that it would no longer please people who liked the old Q.

There's some great long reads in there now.