Foals

RarerThanDandyB

1 minute ago, Honeybane said:

where else would you see them on the line up for glastonbury 2019 apart from headlining the other stage

Well I get that.... but my question was about saying they were now a shoe in for glastonbury because they were headlining other festivals. 

They are headlining Ynot as well now.... Im beginning to think they will not be on Glasto whatsover. Which would be horrible! 

You are right though if they played.... for me the only logical appearance is heading the other stage. 

4 hours ago, Honeybane said:

my rep is damaged because i thought slaves could headline latitude 2015. I was wrong. I look back and laugh.

Your rep is damaged because you sprout shite 24/7

Yup my life is over because a shit load of people pressed downvote who I don't even know lol. Get a grip bloody hell.

• Downvote 3

8 hours ago, thewayiam said:

They would headline it but they could sub it, they were only that level a few years ago. They sold their reading day but it was when tickets were right down to £66 a day ticket with fees.

sure, they could sub it, and they could play at the Crows Nest and an acoustic set at Avalon, but there's close to no chance in hell that it'll happen.

Foals are not going from subbing the Pyramid to subbing the Other. cop on.

Edited by ghostdancer1

15 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

sure, they could sub it, and they could play at the Crows Nest and an acoustic set at Avalon, but there's close to no chance in hell that it'll happen.

Foals are not going from subbing the Pyramid to subbing the Other. cop on.

Agreed. They could sub Pyramid again but no chance subbing the Other.... only heading. 

Looks like if they are gonna be there it'll be on JP a la The Killers.

Dilemma for us - we've got Ally Pally tickets with the view that if they're going to be on the farm, we can pass them on. However good a secret set would be, I'm tempted to see their own show the week before, then free up those few hours, and potential stress, at the farm.

5 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Dilemma for us - we've got Ally Pally tickets with the view that if they're going to be on the farm, we can pass them on. However good a secret set would be, I'm tempted to see their own show the week before, then free up those few hours, and potential stress, at the farm.

This is kind of my thinking, although the missus wants to see them again at Glastonbury regardless, I'd be tempted away depending on what else is on 

Feels like Foals big chance to really push on is slipping away (see Doves and Kingdom of Rust/Franz Carr at Forest). They've pretty much got worse each time I've seen them and the last album didn't really do it. Hopefully the new one will shove them in the right direction.

The warning signs have been there for a while tbh. What Went Down (the track) is an absolute banger and close to the best thing they've ever done. Mountain At My Gates was great too, to a lesser extent admittedly, but still promised that they were ready to make the step up. 

In hindsight though What Went Down (the album) was ultimately a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed it when it first came out and gave it plenty of spins in the following weeks but I've barely listened to it since. In fact I'm more likely to stick on TLF if I'm looking for a Foals fix. 

When your strongest music came out almost a decade ago you're in trouble. I want them to do it, but it feels increasingly out of hope rather than expectation. Particularly since Exits feels like a damp squib. This (double album) is really their last chance. I'm not sure playing Glastonbury again so soon is the right thing for them to do at this stage either. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

49 minutes ago, Hawros said:

Yeah, a secret set would be great, but it's also only an hour so I personally won't be considering selling on the Ally Pally tickets. Having to get there way before (think we were there over 90 mins before the Killers) isn't ideal.

32 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

The warning signs have been there for a while tbh. What Went Down (the track) is an absolute banger and close to the best thing they've ever done. Mountain At My Gates was great too, to a lesser extent admittedly, but still promised that they were ready to make the step up. 

In hindsight though What Went Down (the album) was ultimately a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed it when it first came out and gave it plenty of spins in the following weeks but I've barely listened to it since. In fact I'm more likely to stick on TLF if I'm looking for a Foals fix. 

When your strongest music came out almost a decade ago you're in trouble. I want them to do it, but it feels increasingly out of hope rather than expectation. Particularly since Exits feels like a damp squib. This (double album) is really their last chance. I'm not sure playing Glastonbury again so soon is the right thing for them to do at this stage either. 

Have to disagree. What went down is an excellent album in its own right. And 4 of their most streamed songs are from that album.... 

Exits is also a brilliant tune. Its not a banger but I don't listen to Foals just for bangers. They are headlining 3 festivals this year... that doesnt sound like a band who are failing.

If the new album is good it will get them an eventual Pyramid headline slot. If its poo then they may not.... the same can be said of many many bands, its not something exclusive to Foals. I don't know where all the negativity and worry is coming from?? 

36 minutes ago, Havors said:

Have to disagree. What went down is an excellent album in its own right. And 4 of their most streamed songs are from that album.... 

Exits is also a brilliant tune. Its not a banger but I don't listen to Foals just for bangers. They are headlining 3 festivals this year... that doesnt sound like a band who are failing.

If the new album is good it will get them an eventual Pyramid headline slot. If its poo then they may not.... the same can be said of many many bands, its not something exclusive to Foals. I don't know where all the negativity and worry is coming from?? 

Headlining 2 medium sized festivals with bands such as Wolf Alice (big but on the ascendancy still), Two Door Cinema Club (about their level, won't get bigger) and Elbow (at their level). The worry stems from the idea that Foals have stagnated (which I don't really agree with) and as a result they're accepting medium sized headline slots. I think it's a valid argument but a lot is riding on the success of this double album, if it's naff or at least worse than the previous two efforts then they'll stay at this level. A success and they can push on to headline Glasto.

Edited by Superunknown

30 minutes ago, Havors said:

I'm a fan and I do like that album (nowhere near their strongest though) and I also like Exits (again though, not amongst their best). However, I did expect them to be getting better spots than Truck and Y Not and also to be selling out their tour pretty quickly - there are still tickets available for a Saturday night in London as well as Birmingham, Bournemouth and others. In fact, it's only Manchester that has sold out and it's now been 10 days since the sale. I hoped and expected them to be pushing on a lot more than this but objectively, it doesn't look like it's happening at the moment. Bit worried about the double-album with no producer thing too but we'll have to see on that one.

Just now, Madyaker said:

Exits is growing on me, it’s so catchy could be a weapon live. I hope they headline the other 

Yeah thought it was bang average at first but it's definitely a grower. Still hoping for better from the album, want something that engages me on a first listen like Mountain At My Gates and Inhaler did off the last two.

6 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I'm a fan and I do like that album (nowhere near their strongest though) and I also like Exits (again though, not amongst their best). However, I did expect them to be getting better spots than Truck and Y Not and also to be selling out their tour pretty quickly - there are still tickets available for a Saturday night in London as well as Birmingham, Bournemouth and others. In fact, it's only Manchester that has sold out and it's now been 10 days since the sale. I hoped and expected them to be pushing on a lot more than this but objectively, it doesn't look like it's happening at the moment. Bit worried about the double-album with no producer thing too but we'll have to see on that one.

I don't think 4 years between albums has helped them. 

@Superunknown and @The Martini Police have saved me a bit of time essentially summing up my thinking, one other thing I'd add though is that Foals are further away from being a Pyramid headliner size act than they were at this time in 2016. Which is a real shame given the sparsity of decent headliner options this year. If they'd have properly blown up after WWD they'd have to be in contention. As it stands if they are back this year they're either repeating their previous placing or taking a sideways move (arguably slight drop) to headlining the Other.

If the double album doesn't deliver its not like it's going to kill the band off, of course not. But it will likely torpedo their hopes of ever playing at higher spot at Glastonbury. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

1 minute ago, Superunknown said:

Yeah thought it was bang average at first but it's definitely a grower. Still hoping for better from the album, want something that engages me on a first listen like Mountain At My Gates and Inhaler did off the last two.

Yep.... it needs to have one or two instant hits on the album to gain them new listeners. It songs like that that get you listening but it ends up being other songs that become your favourite. Inhaler > Milk & Black Spiders being an example from Holy Fire. 

Just now, Havors said:

I don't think 4 years between albums has helped them. 

The 2.5 years last time hindered them. Yannis even said WWD was a bit rushed and didn’t turn out how they’d have hoped. I don’t think if they released an album last March instead they’d be on any different path.

The dates this summer seem like a purposeful thing in getting back to smaller audiences in this country after years of huge fests and arenas and stuff. A lot does hinge on these albums though, because if they come back with arenas and huge slots in 2020 off the back of two sub-par albums then nobody’s gonna want it.

1 minute ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

@Superunknown and @The Martini Police have saved me a bit of time essentially summing up my thinking, one other thing I'd add though is that Foals are further away from being a Pyramid headliner size act than they were at this time in 2016. Which is a real shame cause given the sparsity of decent headliner options this year. If they'd have properly blown up after WWD they'd have to be in contention. As it stands if they are back this year they're either repeating their previous placing or taking a sideways most (arguably slight drop) to headlining the Other.

If the double album doesn't deliver its not like it's going to kill the band off, of course not. But it will likely torpedo their hopes of ever playing at higher spot at Glastonbury. 

This is why I think they'll do a secret set rather than a billed one. An afternoon secret JP set in the same mould as The Killers' last time would generate more buzz and media interest than being a bog standard Other headliner.