Foals

RarerThanDandyB

They deserve a thread. What do people think of the new song? and due to the Glastonbury hole within the schedule what do we reckon, sub again or headline other or a secret set? 

I personally now after thinking about it feel they will headline other while Stormzy headlines the pyramid.

I’m a long term fan, so have a slightly biased view.

I like the song, great groove, and will be a welcome addition to their live show. I think the glasto shaped hole in their schedule is too convenient to not see them pop up, have a feeling it’ll be a secret set rather than seeing them on the poster but who knows. 

Not hugely fussed if they’re there or not tbh, only because I’ll be at the Ally Pally show regardless! 

New’un sounds like it could’ve been an album track from any of their last three albums, and not a particularly memorable one.

Was really hoping they were gonna change things up and pull something out of the bag this time around but this song isn’t giving me that impression at all. These two albums are just gonna be another two bang average Foals albums that could’ve come out at any time over the last decade, aren’t they?

Just giving the new track a spin. A bit dead isn't it? Antidotes is by far their best record and Total Life Forever is good but everything since then has tailed off a bit. Still put on a good live show tho (despite the response from 2016). I imagine if they're headlining festivals, they're probably not gonna be on the OS.

The new video is pretty cool. Canada Productions do some lovely work. Also the album artwork is very pleasing on the eye. I like how the new record is described "exploratory, progressive-tinged tracks which occasionally break the 10-minute mark alongside atmospheric segues which make the music an experience rather than a mere collection of songs. Yet the band’s renowned ability to wield relentless grooves with striking power also reaches new heights."

I can live in hope that they'll create another Spanish Sahara.

I think it’s alright, but I don’t know if that’s just because I really wanted to like it, it won’t be getting the repeated listens on the way to work like What Went Down or Mountain at My Gates did when they came out as singles put it that way. 

The tour dates do seem suspect, particularly when they’re stopping the Wednesday of Glasto then finishing the tour with a Dublin date the Tuesday after. An alternative to Stormzy on The Other would be my ideal, but I’d be just as happy squeezing into John Peel for a secret set. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if you all lowered my expectations sufficiently, but I really like Exits.  I like that it's gone a bit plinky plonky whilst still having a bit of their rockier edge towards the end.

Is the 'two albums this year' thing confirmed?  I remember Guillemots saying they were going to release 4 albums in a year,  then released one that was mercifully short, and nothing since.

They were in such a great position after Holy Fire, it really felt like the next album couple get them to major headline status. Then that album was just alright but it really felt like the next album could get them to headliner status.

I have a feeling I'm gonna be saying that twice more this year.

Exits is decent. It's grown on me. As Yannis said in the interview... there are some bangers coming so im looking forward to them. Can only just the song on its own merits and its good but not their best by far. 

I personally think Holy Fire was their best album but all the others are good albums with some great tracks on. Lets not over think things... they play their best songs at gigs/festivals... that is all thats important.

Their glasto set 2016 was brilliant as attested to by a lot of the music writers and contrary to people who stand a mile away and then say there was no atmosphere.