Music played on 6 Music, is it a window into Glastonbury Line Up

drunk pumpkin

I know it maybe just subliminal but as a regular 6 Music listener I've noticed a great deal more Strokes songs being played across multiple shows.

As a key Glastonbury ally once the line up is announced 6 Music always ramp up the airplay of key performers.

Am I clutching at straws or is there something in this as a way to spot Glastonbury performers?

2 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I know it maybe just subliminal but as a regular 6 Music listener I've noticed a great deal more Strokes songs being played across multiple shows.

As a key Glastonbury ally once the line up is announced 6 Music always ramp up the airplay of key performers.

Am I clutching at straws or is there something in this as a way to spot Glastonbury performers?

You may be onto something there, they did play iggy yesterday!

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Straws being clutched at I’d say.

They are a radio station, they play music.

They’ve probably played The Strokes and Iggy thousands of times and they haven’t gone on to play Glasto.

They have played ore recently and maybe trying to get people back into the Strokes swing for Glastonbury.. Everything else points to it, it is happening but I don't think this has anything to do with it...

3 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I reckon you could be on to something here

3 minutes ago, Ashl said:

Based on this 6music last.fm account which scrobbles all they play I would suggest the current rate is about the same as a regular month https://www.last.fm/user/bbc6music/library/music/The+Strokes?date_preset=LAST_365_DAYS , I would love The Strokes though so thats a shame there is no sneaky link.

Says no scrobbles for selected dates...

5 minutes ago, Ashl said:

Based on this 6music last.fm account which scrobbles all they play I would suggest the current rate is about the same as a regular month https://www.last.fm/user/bbc6music/library/music/The+Strokes?date_preset=LAST_365_DAYS , I would love The Strokes though so thats a shame there is no sneaky link.

Interesting! They have swapped the dj’s around so perhaps it’s just down to that, definitely heard more Strokes during the day than i used to when it was the Lauren & Radcliffe shows 

20 hours ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I've noticed that 6music sometimes seem to ramp up plays for particular acts, but if that's more than a coincidence I'd say it comes from something that's about more than Glasto.

When any older and bigger act is active after a period of inactivity, there's a publicity push too. The DJs probably also follow music news, and being reminded of the (say) The Strokes might have them think "oh, I haven't played them for a while".

As far as I can see there's nothing to suggest that BBC DJs get early sight of who's playing - but they probably do get to hear bits and pieces from music biz contacts.