Sam Fender?

danbailey80

On 1/19/2019 at 12:22 PM, dingbat2 said:

Lucky enough to see him at Later with Jools this year. Cracking voice. He did a stunning version on Leave Fast, can't find it on YouTube anywhere , it was spine tingling

Big year for him this year, can only see him becoming massive

Not the Jools performance so sould quality not the best, but does highlight how much talent this guy has...

35 minutes ago, uscore said:

They've started playing his song on Sam FM, the cheesefest radio station for 40 year olds in Bristol, so he's definitely reached crossover point.

A lovely radio station that I always enjoyed tuning into when driving down the M5 - back when it was Jack FM!

2 minutes ago, MJP said:

A lovely radio station that I always enjoyed tuning into when driving down the M5 - back when it was Jack FM!

I listen to it a lot in the car (I haven't got anything fancier than FM so there's not many options).   It's funny; they don't play much modern music, but when they pick a song they like, you here it all the time.  Last year it was Portugal The Man's Feel It Still.

1 minute ago, uscore said:

I listen to it a lot in the car (I haven't got anything fancier than FM so there's not many options).   It's funny; they don't play much modern music, but when they pick a song they like, you here it all the time.  Last year it was Portugal The Man's Feel It Still.

I've only just about got FM in my car, though a pheasant committed suicide on my car, as I was hurtling down the M5 to my parents' house, and took most of my aerial with it. It's impossible to get the stub it left out. :(

• 1 month later...

I was on his Wikipedia page just now and noticed that none of his tracks so far (about 10 of them) have entered the top 40. Not even 'Leave Fast', 'That Sound', 'Play God' or 'Dead Boys'. Maybe he needs to try making a track without a two word title?

In all seriousness, those tracks have been rinsed constantly on the big radio stations. How have none of them charted?

9 hours ago, bombfrog said:

I was on his Wikipedia page just now and noticed that none of his tracks so far (about 10 of them) have entered the top 40. Not even 'Leave Fast', 'That Sound', 'Play God' or 'Dead Boys'. Maybe he needs to try making a track without a two word title?

In all seriousness, those tracks have been rinsed constantly on the big radio stations. How have none of them charted?

Big radio stations? Not Radio 1 or 2 though. 

Another reason is he's been a slow burner as far as people knowing who he is. I actually started being a proper fan 2 months after deadboys was released. So he's got a lot of listens on Spotify but never lots within the same week (which gets the chart placing)

None of them are big radio hits either (thankfully). He's an artist in more of 90/00s way, in that he's word of mouth, live gigs and people can't wait for the album etc. 

Jeff Buckley springs to mind. No big hits at all but slow word of mouth...

Saw him last year in Bristol and he blew the roof off the thekla when I asked about glasto At the time he wasn’t sure (so he said) but he’s gone from strength to strength since then and he really is a super talent and the songs sound epic live! Can see him drawing a big crowd

7 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Big radio stations? Not Radio 1 or 2 though.

We have Radio 1 on at work during the day and he's never off it. Didn't they also put him in their "ones to watch" list of 2018? Can't speak for R2 but R1 has given him loads of support.

Reminds me a bit of Rex Orange County, great singer with great songs, loads of support from those in the know but struggled to break through.

16 hours ago, bombfrog said:

We have Radio 1 on at work during the day and he's never off it. Didn't they also put him in their "ones to watch" list of 2018? Can't speak for R2 but R1 has given him loads of support.

Reminds me a bit of Rex Orange County, great singer with great songs, loads of support from those in the know but struggled to break through.

Pleasantly surprised with R1. Good on them.

He's 22. They may be holding back a big single when the album comes out but either way his time will come. Although very big time probably second album. 

I can see his set being the talk of Glastonbury 2019. Mid-afternoon John Peel and it being absolutely rammed.