Sam Fender?

danbailey80

On 3/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, bombfrog said:

I was on his Wikipedia page just now and noticed that none of his tracks so far (about 10 of them) have entered the top 40. Not even 'Leave Fast', 'That Sound', 'Play God' or 'Dead Boys'. Maybe he needs to try making a track without a two word title?

In all seriousness, those tracks have been rinsed constantly on the big radio stations. How have none of them charted?

It's virtually impossible for guitar bands/acts to chart now. Just the way the chart is structured. I could go into a long and detailed reason why I believe this is the case but I'd bore everyone.

For comparison, Catfish are probably as big as it gets for a recent band that has emerged. The first single from the new album, Longshot, got to No 25 but that is the only song they've had remotely close to the top 40 - no coincidence that one of the reasons is it has been released before it is available on an album.

Compare them to Sam Fender - the highest chart positon for Catfish's first album was 109 for Cocoon. Rango, Fallout and Pacifier didn't even chart in the top 200 off that album. Play God got to 92 for Fender but nothing else has made the top 200.

15 years ago Catfish would have had a string of top 40 hits now, but the way indie/guitar-based music is bought and listened to has changed beyond recognition.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, briddj said:

It's virtually impossible for guitar bands/acts to chart now. Just the way the chart is structured. I could go into a long and detailed reason why I believe this is the case but I'd bore everyone.

Not an apples to apples comparison. Sam is a singer/songwriter., not really a "guitar band" (although he does have a band and he does play the guitar).

The current number 1 single is Lewis Capaldi's "Someone You Loved"  and his previous single is at 21 so why couldn't "Leave Fast" have done the same? Tom Walker is also in the top 10 and George Ezra has dominated the chart.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Sam is much better than any of those acts, definitely edgier, but it's still a fairer comparison than Catfish which are a retro sounding indie band.

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Not an apples to apples comparison. Sam is a singer/songwriter., not really a "guitar band" (although he does have a band and he does play the guitar).

The current number 1 single is Lewis Capaldi's "Someone You Loved"  and his previous single is at 21 so why couldn't "Leave Fast" have done the same? Tom Walker is also in the top 10 and George Ezra has dominated the chart.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think Sam is much better than any of those acts, definitely edgier, but it's still a fairer comparison than Catfish which are a retro sounding indie band.

I get where you're coming from, but George Ezra writes radio-friendly pop songs like Budapest and Shotgun. The edgier part of what you say is crucial.

Tom Walker's songs that I have heard are definitely a lot more poppy and mainstream than Fender's stuff.

Capaldi is probably closer to Fender of the ones you mention, but Fender is definitely heavier. Maybe too simplistic to say it sounds more like he's part of band than a solo artist.

You can imagine housewives listening to Ezra, Walker and Capaldi doing to housework. Can't say I'd say the same for Fender. God, we're back on the mum test again.

5 minutes ago, briddj said:

I get where you're coming from, but George Ezra writes radio-friendly pop songs like Budapest and Shotgun. The edgier part of what you say is crucial.

Tom Walker's songs that I have heard are definitely a lot more poppy and mainstream than Fender's stuff.

Capaldi is probably closer to Fender of the ones you mention, but Fender is definitely heavier. Maybe too simplistic to say it sounds more like he's part of band than a solo artist.

You can imagine housewives listening to Ezra, Walker and Capaldi doing to housework. Can't say I'd say the same for Fender. God, we're back on the mum test again.

I'm 40, I have no idea any more.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, briddj said:

The first time I’d heard of Fender was from my mum, she forced me to watch his performance on Jools Holland in October. Didn’t think he’d become such a big deal so quickly though. 

I am still shocked at how mature and intelligent his song writing is for such a young kid. He also knows how to put it to a very catchy riff or chorus.

I think every song he has put out is excellent... every single one. Which for me is rare. He also has the "look" to give himself more mainstream appeal i.e. teens and pop/radio on fans.

I will be catching him when he plays with Kings of Leon in liverpool in August and I cant wait. Hopefully he will be at Glasto too. 

23 hours ago, briddj said:

It's going to be the Stormzy text message thread all over again.  Just hopefully without the part where it all went south.

• 1 month later...

Saw him at Live at Leeds on Saturday, excellent gig and a great cover of what's the story morning glory too

2 hours ago, Radi0Head said:

Going to his shows in Islington tonight super stoked. Anyone else been to his recent string of shows? How was it ?

I was at the Shepherds Bush show last night (please don't go to Islington!) and he was brilliant. Could clearly see that playing that venue was blowing his mind, and he was loving every second. Really enjoyed the cover of Morning Glory too, didn't expect it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

I consider this 23 year old the most exciting talent I've seen for years. Enjoy the gig. Try and find out what time he's playing the John Peel! Also he is doing any secret gigs? 

He feels a shoo-in for a BBC Introducing tent set.

2 hours ago, Diamond24 said:

I was at the Shepherds Bush show last night (please don't go to Islington!) and he was brilliant. Could clearly see that playing that venue was blowing his mind, and he was loving every second. Really enjoyed the cover of Morning Glory too, didn't expect it. 

Fuck went to Islington and then had to hop it across London! Hahaha

11 hours ago, Diamond24 said:

you tried

12 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Already way too big surely? 2 nights at Brixton academy selling fast

Nah big newish acts play secret sets in BBC Introduction every time. Blossoms, George Ezra, Slaves and Glass Animals played in there at the last festival.

Edited by briddj