In a bit of a dilemma, need your advice!

shapebuster

Just now, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Just get the flights, if you don't get a ticket in the resale, go to some of the UK's many other exciting tourist attractions. It can get pretty turnt up in Derwent Pencil Museum, believe me.

Noo, becuase if i dont get tickets i'll go to Dekmantel in early August and I don't want to spend more than 4 weeks away so it's either Dek or Glasto :o

Hi Shapebuster 

You’ll probably be no nearer making up your mind for my input than you are now but here it is for what it’s worth:

I fly over from Perth every year, and I usually book flights fairly soon after securing a ticket. It is true that the really good deals tend to be easier to come by the earlier you book.

Not always though. Once or twice I have booked flights in October thinking I was getting ahead of the game, only to see similar fares or better on sale much later down the track.

In 2016 I had to wait until after I got lucky in the resale and to be honest I don’t recall paying much, if anything, over the odds for those flights.

I would be prepared to hold off if I was in your shoes, but I do understand the unease you’re feeling about doing that. Good luck if that’s what you decide to do!

2 minutes ago, HowdyBoss said:

Hi Shapebuster 

You’ll probably be no nearer making up your mind for my input than you are now but here it is for what it’s worth:

I fly over from Perth every year, and I usually book flights fairly soon after securing a ticket. It is true that the really good deals tend to be easier to come by the earlier you book.

Not always though. Once or twice I have booked flights in October thinking I was getting ahead of the game, only to see similar fares or better on sale much later down the track.

In 2016 I had to wait until after I got lucky in the resale and to be honest I don’t recall paying much, if anything, over the odds for those flights.

I would be prepared to hold off if I was in your shoes, but I do understand the unease you’re feeling about doing that. Good luck if that’s what you decide to do!

Cheers! Any chance of an extra hand during the resale? Will be a lot easier to bank transfer you with my Aus account. I'm chancing my arm here though  :O

The demand in the main sale was as big as ever, so it's reasonable to assume the resale will be very hard to succeed in.

Impossible to know, but I'd be surprised if the statistics were any better than a 1 in 10 chance (Unless you can command a huge group of friends to help you on the day to reduce your odds). This may inform your decision.

Return flights from London to Copenhagen over Glasto weekend (27th June - 1st July) are currently £49 with Ryanair.

If you're happy to write that amount off, you could plan for Glasto and still have cheap flights in your pocket should you be unsuccessful in the resale.

Edit:  I thought Dekmantel was in Denmark!  Disregard!

2nd Edit:  Amsterdam flights are £57 so still an option!

3rd Edit;  They're not even the same weekend, please just ignore me

Edited by Username taken

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Just get the flights, if you don't get a ticket in the resale, go to some of the UK's many other exciting tourist attractions. It can get pretty turnt up in Derwent Pencil Museum, believe me.

Been there. Quality day out.

Alternatively / additionally there's always Salisbury Cathedral and it's world famous 123m spire. That always attracts foreign tourists.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Woffy said:

Been there. Quality day out.

Alternatively / additionally there's always Salisbury Cathedral and it's world famous 123m spire. That always attracts foreign tourists.

hehehe, the fun I had taking the train to Salisbury (for EOTR) this year with my Russian wife. I tried so hard to persuade her to wear a hazchem suit and ramp her accent up a  bit, but she wouldn't. Kept speaking Russian to her on the train down there. Crowded train, but funnily enough we got a lovely big double seat and table, plenty of room.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, shapebuster said:

How would I find this information out?

So just done a check and cheapest return flights Perth - London going in 18 weeks time (about the time between now and Glasto) £625

Perth - London going in 10 weeks time (about the time between resale and Glasto) £616

So buying tickets to fly 10 weeks in advance seems to make no difference to buying them 18 weeks in advance, obviously they are for different months and it`s anybody's guess what effect that would have.

If you want to mitigate risk I would recommend going down the volunteering route. Wateraid, Oxfam, Festaff, Glasto Recycling Crew, Shelter, Oasis Carnival Club are accepting applications atm. Usually you have to do 3 8 hour shifts across 5 days, so if you're lucky you have the whole weekend free to enjoy the festival. Done it twice before personally and it was a fantastic experience.

1 hour ago, Mardy said:

hehehe, the fun I had taking the train to Salisbury (for EOTR) this year with my Russian wife. I tried so hard to persuade her to wear a hazchem suit and ramp her accent up a  bit, but she wouldn't. Kept speaking Russian to her on the train down there. Crowded train, but funnily enough we got a lovely big double seat and table, plenty of room.

:lol: 

56 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

If you want to mitigate risk I would recommend going down the volunteering route. Wateraid, Oxfam, Festaff, Glasto Recycling Crew, Shelter, Oasis Carnival Club are accepting applications atm. Usually you have to do 3 8 hour shifts across 5 days, so if you're lucky you have the whole weekend free to enjoy the festival. Done it twice before personally and it was a fantastic experience.

At this point, most of those aren't accepting applications from the public yet, just letting people register their interest or processing the people who have priority access.

I think right now WaterAid is the only one open to the public.

1 hour ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

So just done a check and cheapest return flights Perth - London going in 18 weeks time (about the time between now and Glasto) £625

Perth - London going in 10 weeks time (about the time between resale and Glasto) £616

So buying tickets to fly 10 weeks in advance seems to make no difference to buying them 18 weeks in advance, obviously they are for different months and it`s anybody's guess what effect that would have.

What he said ^

Scheduled flight costs are generally driven by demand rather than availability.  If loads of people book at the same time the price will rise.....if no-one books for a while the price drops.  As such it's perfectly possible to get a cheaper flight nearer the time than much earlier when folks who are naively looking for an early cheap booking all book.

Try the Hopper app which will tell you when flight prices for a given trip are best to buy and when they may change.

8 hours ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

If resale is on the 28th April then I think the time between resale and flight would be about 6/7 weeks

12 minutes ago, THEBOILERMAN said:

Return flights if booked now for 6-7 weeks time are coming in at £545 for the cheapest.

My point is that i would need to know the price prediction if i was to book my flights in 6-7 weeks time for Glasto dates.  It's easy for me to look up the current prices if i was to book them today.  I'd need a comparison between the prices of booking a ticket now vs booking it at the end of april 

56 minutes ago, shapebuster said:

My point is that i would need to know the price prediction if i was to book my flights in 6-7 weeks time for Glasto dates.  It's easy for me to look up the current prices if i was to book them today.  I'd need a comparison between the prices of booking a ticket now vs booking it at the end of april 

Try this site.    https://www.skyscanner.net/bttb/best-time-to-book-uk?proxy_env=skyscanner      It might give you an idea.

Edited by THEBOILERMAN

We need Mystic Meg.

Honestly, all your questions have been answered and people have done the research for you. Nobody can say whether you'll get a ticket in the resale and nobody can say exactly how much the flights will cost at the time you want to book them.

So reading all the replies, it seems to boil down to this. If you want to take the risk of higher priced flights, then wait and try for Glasto tickets. If you don't want to risk higher cost flights then book for the other festival.

• 4 weeks later...