The Darkness

airwaves

Just catching on Xmas tele catchup and viewing " The Story of Bohemian Rhapsody " which looks likes it dates from around 2004.

They've just had a selection of bands influenced by BR and introduced The Darkness as "THE band of the moment " !!

Laugh?? I nearly collapsed off my seat  ?

6 minutes ago, airwaves said:

Just catching on Xmas tele catchup and viewing " The Story of Bohemian Rhapsody " which looks likes it dates from around 2004.

They've just had a selection of bands influenced by BR and introduced The Darkness as "THE band of the moment " !!

Well they did hit mainstream around that time. Didnt last long but for that short period they had a moment or two. I didnt mind them tbh, was catchy tunes and fun enough if you didnt take them serious. No idea what any albuns after the first one were like though as aint heard them so wasnt that into them mind. 

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

They were, headlined R&L back when that was noteworthy. Looking at them now it’s hard to believe how big they were back then.

I wasn't old enough to have a clue about festivals then (I was 8), but even I remember them being the biggest thing on the planet. Remember them cleaning up at the BRIT Awards.

59 minutes ago, chatty said:

Well they did hit mainstream around that time. Didnt last long but for that short period they had a moment or two. I didnt mind them tbh, was catchy tunes and fun enough if you didnt take them serious. No idea what any albuns after the first one were like though as aint heard them so wasnt that into them mind. 

I given the second album as a birthday present, played it once I think until it eventually made its way to the charity shop! It wasn’t great, loved the first one though 

42 minutes ago, henry bear said:

And were opening act on the Pyramid in 2003 IIRC

Yep I went down to see them because the Guide said they are a glam rock band who play pubs round london but act like they are in a stadium and go really over the top, rolling around on the floor jumping off speakers smashing up guitars etc. 

Wasnt disaponted thought they were great, haven’t seen them since though ?

5 hours ago, airwaves said:

Worst band I've ever heard on a Glastonbury stage... We were drinking at the cider bus when I heard this NOISE... Had a gander thought wtf and jogged on to the bread and roses where we were out of the range of them.. 

Then the next year they demanded to headline if people can remember that lol

Download Festival 2015, I'm wandering around between bands and see that there's a big crowd forming at the Maverick tent. Intrigued, I decided to have a look. "Who's on next mate?", I enquired to a fellow hard rocking amigo. "Dunno, it's a secret set, chief". Judging by the crowd it looked like it might be someone decent so I entered the tent a found a space around a quarter of the way in. The atmosphere was building nicely as the time for the big reveal grew closer. Then, after what felt like an eternity came a commotion from the right hand side. The crowd began to part and several burly Viking lookalikes were carrying a slight, tattooed, scruffy-haired man on a huge shield towards the stage. The man in question? Justin fucking Hawkins. The penny, the black cloth covering the name of "surprise" act and my jaw dropped simultaneously.

Trust me, you will never know terror until you are trapped in a tent with 5000 other people and The Darkness. 

• Upvote 1

I adore The Darkness, their debut album is an absolute rock classic and their following albums were also pretty great from a Rock perspective, most recent album is a bit naff though.

Seen them live at Roundhouse and they were bloody awesome. Seriously underated band and I do not understand the hate for them on this thread.

Edited by Wilfko
  • Downvote 1