Idles

fuzzy_logic

I'm a late comer when it comes to the Idles, ashamed to say i missed out in seeing them and Fontaines DC in 2019, probably would have been found somewhere floundering in the heat! I am very much onside now with both bands. Personally i think Idles need the Other stage. They are an excellent live band and after killing it in the Park and from what i've heard of the new tracks so far the next album certainly sounds great. I reckon they will attract a huge crowd. I'm really liking Grounds With regards to A Hymn, i'm liking it, i can see where for some it might want a built up shouty ending but i don't think it needed it, i reckon it will be performed with great gusty and provide a nice ' I wanna be loved' singalong with the crowd.

Other Stage would be dead. Much prefer subbing JP prior to seeing my headliner or even being my Friday or Sunday headliner potentially when rubbish is announced. A Other Stage headline slot is good but lower down the bill on it never feels the same for some reason. They no doubt might play other though. 

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Other Stage would be dead. Much prefer subbing JP prior to seeing my headliner or even being my Friday or Sunday headliner potentially when rubbish is announced. A Other Stage headline slot is good but lower down the bill on it never feels the same for some reason. They no doubt might play other though. 

I’m not sure on that.  Lorde and Stormzy went down really well as subs on the other plus I’m pretty sure Billie (only saw a few songs) and DAVE were really well received too.  Sure there are lots more examples 

7 minutes ago, sisco said:

I’m not sure on that.  Lorde and Stormzy went down really well as subs on the other plus I’m pretty sure Billie (only saw a few songs) and DAVE were really well received too.  Sure there are lots more examples 

I saw Chems, Billie, BMTH, Slaves and Courteeners (to get a good spot for Chems) and aside from Chems, it didnt have the same feeling as the other stages. The other acts I saw on there were good but wasnt the same feeling as the Park, JP or pyramid. It might be good for some people, its a decent stage but for IDLES, you prefer more intimate and the other for them doesn't really suit me. I'll still be there though for round 2 of the IDLES Glastonbury journey (missed the actual round 2 due to Stormzy).

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

I saw Chems, Billie, BMTH, Slaves and Courteeners (to get a good spot for Chems) and aside from Chems, it didnt have the same feeling as the other stages. The other acts I saw on there were good but wasnt the same feeling as the Park, JP or pyramid. It might be good for some people, its a decent stage but for IDLES, you prefer more intimate and the other for them doesn't really suit me. I'll still be there though for round 2 of the IDLES Glastonbury journey (missed the actual round 2 due to Stormzy).

It’s just down to the acts. Some acts can kill it on there, some fall on their arse.

I imagine Idles will be able to pull it off but they do seem to have been avoiding larger stages for their career so far so if the choice is theirs I would expect them to play JP.

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

It’s just down to the acts. Some acts can kill it on there, some fall on their arse.

I imagine Idles will be able to pull it off but they do seem to have been avoiding larger stages for their career so far so if the choice is theirs I would expect them to play JP.

Wonder if that’s a confidence thing? Surely they have to step up to larger stages sooner rather than later. 

16 hours ago, nikkic said:

Wonder if that’s a confidence thing? Surely they have to step up to larger stages sooner rather than later. 

I think I’m wrong actually. There have been a few times where they played a stage smaller than expected but they did play main stages at Y Not and All Points East.

I had initially thought it was a case of making a slow ascent rather than jumping to the main stage early on and having to step back down. Tho I can still see that being the case at Glastonbury as, on album four, JP-hl to late-Other would still be progress rather than vice versa.

Love all three of the tracks tbh. I know a lot of people aren't keen on Mr. Motivator but it's such a grower. Find myself singing (quite loud) to myself round the flat all the time. 

Arguably they could release the world's shittest album and I'd still claim it was epic, but I genuinely don't think that's what's happening....

22 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

If Idles are headlining the JP on Friday then the Pyramid can have The 1975 with my blessing.

Can you imagine! The JP is miles too small for this, it'll be rammed.

2 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Love all three of the tracks tbh. I know a lot of people aren't keen on Mr. Motivator but it's such a grower. Find myself singing (quite loud) to myself round the flat all the time. 

Arguably they could release the world's shittest album and I'd still claim it was epic, but I genuinely don't think that's what's happening....

I quite like Mr Motivator, it's a fun bouncealong...but the other 2 tracks are a step above.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think I’m wrong actually. There have been a few times where they played a stage smaller than expected but they did play main stages at Y Not and All Points East.

I had initially thought it was a case of making a slow ascent rather than jumping to the main stage early on and having to step back down. Tho I can still see that being the case at Glastonbury as, on album four, JP-hl to late-Other would still be progress rather than vice versa.

Their 'exclusive' at Leeds (pre cancellation) an odd slot. Subbing the second stage below AJ Tracy.

Edited by vintagelaureate

32 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I quite like Mr Motivator, it's a fun bouncealong...but the other 2 tracks are a step above.

I cannot argue with this. The riffs on Grounds are insane, and I saw one review that compared A Hymn to a cross between The XX and NIN. Amazing.

20 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

Very likely! It was just odd for that to be exclusive. To be fair I was going to go to it and dive to Rage!

That was my plan... sad times.

19 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I cannot argue with this. The riffs on Grounds are insane, and I saw one review that compared A Hymn to a cross between The XX and NIN. Amazing.

Grounds had a Rammstein vibe to me... which isnt a bad thing either

I'm glad others picked up on the Nine Inch Nails vibe as that's exactly who I thought of. A Hymn and Grounds are really good. I haven't really gone back to Mr Motivator but it it'll be a blast when played live I'm sure. 

I'm nearing double figures seeing Idles live, and really wanted material to get me excited to do it again. They've delivered so far. Now PLEASE. I know they've earn't it... but PLEASE... not Wembley Arena or Ally Pally. I beg.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

I'm glad others picked up on the Nine Inch Nails vibe as that's exactly who I thought of. A Hymn and Grounds are really good. I haven't really gone back to Mr Motivator but it it'll be a blast when played live I'm sure. 

I'm nearing double figures seeing Idles live, and really wanted material to get me excited to do it again. They've delivered so far. Now PLEASE. I know they've earn't it... but PLEASE... not Wembley Arena or Ally Pally. I beg.

Ooh good going! I'm only on four. All of them fucking epic. 

Edit: As a weird aside, a lot of things I've been listening to recently have been reminding me of NIN. A few of Daniel Avery's tracks and (probably more obviously) a fair bit of the Bowie I rediscovered after virtual glasto. 

Edited by Sasperella

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

They played Ally Pally last time round, sold out in under a day if I remember correctly. Their next tour is difficult to place to be honest, they played the decent sized Academys country wide. Be interesting to see where they go. They played Manchester Academy last time, minus arenas I think there would only be the Apollo bigger in the city? 

They might take Frank Carter route who did a bunch of intimate shoes in venues they rarely tour too, before doing Barrowlands, Manchester and Ally Pally months later.