Idles

fuzzy_logic

Just read the Kerrang interview that the band linked to on their FB page.  Interesting.  It ends with a question to Joe asking if love is enough to bring about the peace he so desires.  He gives a lengthy reply and concludes:

"That's what I want to win"

"And to headline the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury"

Lofty ambitions.  Who'd bet against them achieving it one day?

13 minutes ago, Skelts said:

Just read the Kerrang interview that the band linked to on their FB page.  Interesting.  It ends with a question to Joe asking if love is enough to bring about the peace he so desires.  He gives a lengthy reply and concludes:

*raises hand*

As glorious as it would be seeing Joe scream mother fucker over and over on the big stage some bands just aren't built that way. 

36 minutes ago, Skelts said:

Me.

They could headline JP, they ain’t going any higher than that. 

7 hours ago, Skelts said:

Not a chance it'll happen.

I saved the other singles after the first two for today and I definitely agree on A Hymn, by far the best song on there. I’m a bit unsure about the rest though. There’s some good moments but I definitely didn’t enjoy it as much instantly compared to Brutalism or Joy. I hope it grows on me but the songs just don’t seem as good this time round.

It’s been mentioned elsewhere but the lyrics are the real weak point. I’m not a huge lyrics person anyway so it doesn’t bother me too much but it can get a bit annoying how on the nose most of the lyrics are. They also lack some of the humour that’s there on the first two albums. I feel a bit bad for criticising them for it, as they generally talk about important topics that I broadly agree with them on, but it’s just a bit too heavy-handed at times. The chorus of Ne Touche Pas Moi where they just shout “CONSENT” is probably the most notable example of that. 

2 hours ago, PDAD said:

Pretty disappointed with this really. I feel like they may as well have changed each lyric to 'I'm a liberal' and it would have had the same effect. I am completely on their side but this album is just so...easy. 

For now, I'm kind of with you. I've read a lot of articles too with the band claiming Joe wrote the lyrics in the recording studio or whatever. However, I thought that about Mr Motivator and The Village, and now I like the both a lot.... They're just growers. Maybe. 

12 hours ago, Sasperella said:

For now, I'm kind of with you. I've read a lot of articles too with the band claiming Joe wrote the lyrics in the recording studio or whatever. However, I thought that about Mr Motivator and The Village, and now I like the both a lot.... They're just growers. Maybe. 

Yeah I hope so. A few drinks in at Brixton, I'll be lapping it all up like anyone...but yeah, the lyrics do stand out for me a bit much at the moment unfortunately. 

I like new albums to teach me a bit more about a band; add a bit more to the puzzle of who they are. When Joe is screaming 'Consent!', it's something I obviously agree with...but I was hardly thinking 'Oh I thought touching people up on the dance floor would be right up his street!' Just seems all a bit preaching to the converted at the moment, and as others have said, without any of the humour they have used before. More, taking themselves too seriously...