Idles

fuzzy_logic

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

No one does a pompous put down review quite as well as The Quietus, they should be saved at all costs.

"Idles' hearts are in the right place but so was Tony Benn's and his last album was shit."

still looking forward to the album but enjoyed this read: https://thequietus.com/articles/28899-idles-ultra-mono-review?fbclid=IwAR2AMm2F8-FKSebZE0Ynl4UPfDVan3csuWDO2YbvsMKes9FbWzwwcgPhLL8

I obviously hate this. Even if it is funny. 

On 9/10/2020 at 11:55 AM, priest17 said:

No one does a pompous put down review quite as well as The Quietus, they should be saved at all costs.

"Idles' hearts are in the right place but so was Tony Benn's and his last album was shit."

still looking forward to the album but enjoyed this read: https://thequietus.com/articles/28899-idles-ultra-mono-review?fbclid=IwAR2AMm2F8-FKSebZE0Ynl4UPfDVan3csuWDO2YbvsMKes9FbWzwwcgPhLL8

I do like IDLES response to this: 

IDLES-HipHoppy-Tee.png

For a bit of info:

I think there was always going to be a backlash at some point, it happens to most bands once they become really big but particularly so for Idles given the kind of band they are. They seemed to have near universal acclaim for the last couple of years but I feel like things have definitely turned a bit this year. People are always going to criticise a big band who have spent the last two years being very present and opinionated and it seems like they're struggling to deal with that. 

I'm not sure if it's because the new songs seem much more divisive than previously (though given how many tickets their tour sold maybe this isn't relevant) but between that and the criticism they come across really insecure in any recent interview I've read. I agree with others that taking a break from PR for a bit might do them good. It seems like the harder they try, the worse it gets. 

Thing is, as soon as anyone sticks their head above the parapet the expectation is then there for them to be A1 perfect on every aspect, otherwise they're hypocrites.

Protesting for a fairer global economic system? Fuck off, you once bought a Starbucks. 

Demanding coordinated global action to address climate change? You flew to a conference once, go fuck yourself. 

Etc etc etc...

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Chawk said:

i don't think anything they said was that bad. seems like people just being keen to shoot them down

Yeah they’ve just become the new whipping boys because what used to be endearing and funny about their schtick has now grown tired and corny, and their constant being on the defence about their detractors doesn’t help. Hopefully come album time this will all be forgotten, although I’m definitely gonna be going in to it with lowered expectations (due to the pre-release stuff - I don’t really care if they occasionally come off as cringey knobheads).