Idles

fuzzy_logic

36 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

giphy.gif

Well if that isn’t reason enough for me to give it a listen before the album release then I don’t know what is.

Yeah, not really feeling this one. I’ve not overly disliked all the pre-release songs so far, but they seem to be steering more towards the side of their sound that I don’t much care for rather than their (imo) strong points. Excitement for the album is certainly waning somewhat. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Well if that isn’t reason enough for me to give it a listen before the album release then I don’t know what is.

Yeah, not really feeling this one. I’ve not overly disliked all the pre-release songs so far, but they seem to be steering more towards the side of their sound that I don’t much care for rather than their (imo) strong points. Excitement for the album is certainly waning somewhat. 

A Hymn is one of my faves of theirs now. Can't get enough of it - I know at first I wanted a bit more of a crash towards the end (not the video Jesus) but I like how it's not given me what I thought I wanted and I've learned to love it anyway. Grounds is pretty good musically. The other two are garbage; Mr Motivator was like a Slaves offcut and tbh this sounds like The Chats but if The Chats weren't at all funny.

I'm obviously not mega amped for Ultra Mono now but if there are a couple more even nearly as good as A Hymn there then I'll be reasonably happy. They're a band that I really don't love to shit on because they mean a lot to people and bring folk together, and they're lovely blokes, but it is my duty as an internet commentator to say when I dislike a song.

46 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

A Hymn is one of my faves of theirs now. Can't get enough of it - I know at first I wanted a bit more of a crash towards the end (not the video Jesus) but I like how it's not given me what I thought I wanted and I've learned to love it anyway. Grounds is pretty good musically. The other two are garbage; Mr Motivator was like a Slaves offcut and tbh this sounds like The Chats but if The Chats weren't at all funny.

I'm obviously not mega amped for Ultra Mono now but if there are a couple more even nearly as good as A Hymn there then I'll be reasonably happy. They're a band that I really don't love to shit on because they mean a lot to people and bring folk together, and they're lovely blokes, but it is my duty as an internet commentator to say when I dislike a song.

As ever, Mr Plan is right about all things A Hymn, it's a bit bloody great.

I haven't heard the new one and don't really find The Chats funny so can't comment on the rest of the quote though.

18 minutes ago, AlexOvd said:

Best song so far

Need to check it out again. The vocals seemed not loud enough. Found the same words repeated too much a bit annoying. But that was one listen in...I didn't like Mr Motivator the first time I heard in, and now I LOVE it.

Grounds and A Hymn are also so both clearly bangers that it doesn't even warrant discussion. 

21 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Need to check it out again. The vocals seemed not loud enough. Found the same words repeated too much a bit annoying. But that was one listen in...I didn't like Mr Motivator the first time I heard in, and now I LOVE it.

Grounds and A Hymn are also so both clearly bangers that it doesn't even warrant discussion. 

A Hymn is a strong song, but this one reminds me the old Idles vibes. What is for sure is that the album it's going to be interesting :)

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Wonder if it'll be a longer tour of smaller shows first, and then the huge venues towards the end of the album campaign.

Yeah this is what I'm expecting too. I can see a fairly extensive run of O2 Academy level shows, with a few bigger ones saved for later in the year/2022. I suppose the next step up from Ally Pally is arena's but I'm not sure they'll ever be able to play more than a couple of them, although even that is very good going given where they were a couple of years ago.

3 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Yeah this is what I'm expecting too. I can see a fairly extensive run of O2 Academy level shows, with a few bigger ones saved for later in the year/2022. I suppose the next step up from Ally Pally is arena's but I'm not sure they'll ever be able to play more than a couple of them, although even that is very good going given where they were a couple of years ago.

Hard to imagine them ever playing the O2. 

Tbh I think they'd make a good All Points East headliner, albeit one on the smaller side. If the Kooks, Wombats, and Bombay Bicycle Club can do it; don't see why  the Idles can't too.

Throw in a good undercard with popular alternative acts like Shame, Murder Capital, black Midi, Porridge Radio, Sorry etc. Reckon it could do well. 

56 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Tbh I think they'd make a good All Points East headliner, albeit one on the smaller side. If the Kooks, Wombats, and Bombay Bicycle Club can do it; don't see why  the Idles can't too.

Throw in a good undercard with popular alternative acts like Shame, Murder Capital, black Midi, Porridge Radio, Sorry etc. Reckon it could do well. 

Not sure what the position will be next year with festivals and returning headliners, but I could see them in line to headline some of the smaller ones. Somewhere like Truck for instance...

49 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not sure what the position will be next year with festivals and returning headliners, but I could see them in line to headline some of the smaller ones. Somewhere like Truck for instance...

They headlined *the second stage at* Green Man last year.

Be interesting to see where they play, they might do cities they don't usually visit - Frank Carter did that last year, played small venues to launch End Of Suffering, then did European tour followed by Academy, Barra and Ally Pally.

Edited by vintagelaureate
*edit

6 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

They headlined Green Man last year.

Headlined the second stage against Father John Misty.

1 hour ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Tbf those acts have been around ages and (I think all) have played arenas in London. And even then, two of them were bundled together and Bombay was released with all the air of 'we have the park for this day so we might as well book some bands'. Idles headlining something like that would feel pretty risky.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

They headlined Green Man last year.

Be interesting to see where they play, they might do cities they don't usually visit - Frank Carter did that last year, played small venues to launch End Of Suffering, then did European tour followed by Academy, Barra and Ally Pally.

Headlined the second stage* at Green Man

Edited by Gilgamesh69
Too slow, oops

15 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Headlined the second stage against Father John Misty.

Tbf those acts have been around ages and (I think all) have played arenas in London. And even then, two of them were bundled together and Bombay was released with all the air of 'we have the park for this day so we might as well book some bands'. Idles headlining something like that would feel pretty risky.

15 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Headlined the second stage* at Green Man

tenor.gif

Sorry..  didn't realise, just remember reading about them closing. 

Edited by vintagelaureate