Idles

fuzzy_logic

17 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Great that they've been nominated for a Mercury prize. 

How 'big' do you think they can go? 

They're genuinely one of my favourite bands, and have been since the first time I saw them live. Do they have the appeal do every become 'huge' though? 

If they were to play the festival in 2020, where do you think they'd place? 

Their new single is out on vinyl next week! 

I'm so pleased they've been nominated too! Although that guy from Sleaford Mods really needs to pipe down. It's becoming embarrassing.

Was watching a few things back on iplayer last night with three friends (one of whom I already converted to IDLES a few weeks ago). One loved it, the other one just kept saying "who is this shouty man?" So yeh, some people definitely just don't get it, while some people REALLY do :)

The JP seems the logical fit.... but they were so perfect this time that it's hard to see past The Park and glorious sunshine. I'm not sure it would work on the Pyramid..?

19 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I'm so pleased they've been nominated too! Although that guy from Sleaford Mods really needs to pipe down. It's becoming embarrassing.

Was watching a few things back on iplayer last night with three friends (one of whom I already converted to IDLES a few weeks ago). One loved it, the other one just kept saying "who is this shouty man?" So yeh, some people definitely just don't get it, while some people REALLY do :)

The JP seems the logical fit.... but they were so perfect this time that it's hard to see past The Park and glorious sunshine. I'm not sure it would work on the Pyramid..?

JP headliners do you think? They're as big, if not bigger, than some of the previous headliners from other years.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can’t see them getting much bigger than their current level to be honest. They’ve sold out Ally Pally but I think that’s as big as they’ll go. I don’t think there is an untapped fan base out there for them, you suspect most people who are going to be in to them are by now.

Maybe...but the two people I've converted to IDLES since Glastonbury (who both weren't there this year) claimed to never have heard of them before. I'm not saying I think they'll get massive, but it's quite easy to remain pretty oblivious to bands (trust me, I'd been doing it for years until I discovered efestivals!) - and they seem to appeal to people that I really wouldn't expect would like them!

20 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

JP headliners do you think? They're as big, if not bigger, than some of the previous headliners from other years.

This would be amazing!!! Although, they better not stick them up against Fleetwood Mac, ffs. 

7 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Maybe...but the two people I've converted to IDLES since Glastonbury (who both weren't there this year) claimed to never have heard of them before. I'm not saying I think they'll get massive, but it's quite easy to remain pretty oblivious to bands (trust me, I'd been doing it for years until I discovered efestivals!) - and they seem to appeal to people that I really wouldn't expect would like them!

This would be amazing!!! Although, they better not stick them up against Fleetwood Mac, ffs. 

I’m another big convert to them, and hadn’t even heard of them till this thread started. They were great at the park. If I get tickets next year, and they play, I’ll be seeing them regardless of who they’re up against. 

They’d be great in JP?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skelts said:

I’m another big convert to them, and hadn’t even heard of them till this thread started. They were great at the park. If I get tickets next year, and they play, I’ll be seeing them regardless of who they’re up against. 

They’d be great in JP?

My love for them has got a bit out of control of late. A couple of my friends went to Fat White Family at Glasto and had a great time. When they found me later they couldn't understand why they hadn't been on my schedule as they thought it would be just me sort of thing. I looked at them incredulously and apparently said "they were mean to IDLES!"

I realise this is ridiculous, but I was pretty hammered at the time!

(although it is still kind of why they weren't on my schedule - I'm just more embarrassed to admit it normally)

Edited by Sasperella
  • Like 1

Finally saw them for the first time at Kendal Calling last night. Incredible. I already had a massive appreciation for them, but their live show really is something else. Was cool to see them and Slowthai appreciating each other, would love for them to team up and do something together sometime.

I know many will think this is premature/i'm just on a buzz from last night but I genuinely think they could headline big festivals soon. There's such a large buzz around them atm and if they manage to maintain and build on what they've already got with their next album they're gonna be getting big big slots.

I listened to them for the first time on Spotify a few years and didn’t really like them, such a weird sound. But then I found a full gig video on YouTube and I couldn’t take my eyes off it. They definitely have something special. I think they could be good John peel headliners.

I think if you watch The Park live set and don’t get it, then it’s never good to be for you. 

It really is magical. 

In terms of how big they can get, next step up would be arenas. I just can’t see that personally. Wouldn’t fit with the ethos of the band and their fans. 

Can you imagine them at The O2? Vom.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I got them plenty on record.  Seeing them live didn't change that.

I do think for some people seeing them live has tipped them in favour. I think a few people have said the same. I liked them from their album, but for others it took the live performance to show them exactly what Idles are about.

Just now, vintagelaureate said:

I do think for some people seeing them live has tipped them in favour. I think a few people have said the same. I liked them from their album, but for others it took the live performance to show them exactly what Idles are about.

That's fair enough. It was the words that got me.  To be absolutely honest, I didn't really manage to see them live, because it was all a bit too much for me at the time - empty stomach, aching feet and overly emotionally resonant performance and all.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's fair enough. It was the words that got me.  To be absolutely honest, I didn't really manage to see them live, because it was all a bit too much for me at the time - empty stomach, aching feet and overly emotionally resonant performance and all.

I didn't get to either... I didn't make it on site until Friday night sadly!

I remember when I posted one of their videos on here before the debut came out, it got a downvote*. I don't care about those things but I find it funny now how things have changed and you get at least four upvotes for saying "Idles are good".

*it was probably accidental but I got a story to tell.

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I remember when I posted one of their videos on here before the debut came out, it got a downvote*. I don't care about those things but I find it funny now how things have changed and you get at least four upvotes for saying "Idles are good".

*it was probably accidental but I got a story to tell.

Idles are good.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 4

On 7/19/2019 at 5:01 PM, Curlygirl said:

I have no idea. 

There’s a few bands have followers that think they’re above everyone else IMO. Like they liked them first so obviously more kind of thing. 

I’ve been on the Facebook group for a while after someone added me in. The whole thing is pretty cringe inducing.

Can’t trust people who harp on about how cool and different their music taste is while following Steve Lamacq as their messiah!

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I can’t see them getting much bigger than their current level to be honest. They’ve sold out Ally Pally but I think that’s as big as they’ll go. I don’t think there is an untapped fan base out there for them, you suspect most people who are going to be in to them are by now.

I thought that when they sold out Gorilla.