Idles

fuzzy_logic

12 hours ago, Sasperella said:

So jealous...even though I've now seen them three times, they just keep getting better. 

And for some reason I neglected to buy tickets for Glasgow in the presale (despite being very kindly sent a link) whilst on the Glasto coach, partly because I wasn't sure if my Glasgow mates would be up for it, and then clean forgot for the rest of the weekend. They had of course sold out by the time I replied....and one of my friends is now a convert after watching their Park set on iplayer. 

I am very much hoping something turns up on twickets!!!

I have seen them before but the crowd didn't really seem to get them. It was all a bit bizarre. They need the crowd to get them going I think.

3 minutes ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

I was there for that, had a great time! I think the heat might have played a part, it was bloody hot that day so a lot of folk were hiding in the shade.  

Doubt it could have been much hotter than the Park Stage gig and that was a riot ??

2 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Doubt it could have been much hotter than the Park Stage gig and that was a riot ??

I reckon it was - Bestival was ridiculously hot last year!

Other reasons their Bestival set wasn't brilliantly received would be them not being as widely known/popular at the time, their genre not really fitting in with the rest of the lineup and the fact that Bestival sold so few tickets it went bust. It was so empty we could much walk up to the main stage barrier for most acts (barring headliners) without having to squeeze past anyone. Idles' crowd was very small - maybe 10-15% of the crowd at the Park.

Was still a brilliant festival, it's a great shame it won't be happening again.

2 hours ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

Other reasons their Bestival set wasn't brilliantly received would be them not being as widely known/popular at the time, their genre not really fitting in with the rest of the lineup and the fact that Bestival sold so few tickets it went bust. It was so empty we could much walk up to the main stage barrier for most acts (barring headliners) without having to squeeze past anyone. Idles' crowd was very small - maybe 10-15% of the crowd at the Park.

Sounds like wrong time, wrong place. Agreed, it’s a shame about Bestival; just down the road from me as well and I’ve never been. 

2 hours ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

Agree with this! I was jumping around like a lunatic to Dubioza Kollektiv while everyone else hid in the shade. I loved that festival! 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, The Spandex Warrior said:

Ha, Dubioza were bloody awesome! Complete sunstroke inducing madness that was.

I discover DK at Bearded Theory in may last year. There was a hell of a storm and everyone was jumping around loving life!! Everyone I met at Bestival I told to see them. They’re bonkers! 

58 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Sounds like wrong time, wrong place. Agreed, it’s a shame about Bestival; just down the road from me as well and I’ve never been. 

I travelled 400 miles to go there, straight from Kendal Calling. I’m pleased I did, it was brilliant. 

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Then it's your fault!  At least a lot of us have the excuse that it was bloody miles away! ?

Last two years I'd already done 3 festival by the time Bestival came around. Did consider just doing one day but I was on shift at work. I did drive up on top of the Purbecks when I was on nightshift just to see if I could pick up the bass from the XX gig which I could from a point not too far from Kimmeridge.

Edited by SighMo

9 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

That’s what I always thought it was but didn’t wanna say. They’re the Facebook Idles posse right? 

I have no idea. 

There’s a few bands have followers that think they’re above everyone else IMO. Like they liked them first so obviously more kind of thing. 

Great that they've been nominated for a Mercury prize. 

How 'big' do you think they can go? 

They're genuinely one of my favourite bands, and have been since the first time I saw them live. Do they have the appeal do every become 'huge' though? 

If they were to play the festival in 2020, where do you think they'd place? 

Their new single is out on vinyl next week! 

5 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Great that they've been nominated for a Mercury prize. 

How 'big' do you think they can go? 

They're genuinely one of my favourite bands, and have been since the first time I saw them live. Do they have the appeal do every become 'huge' though? 

If they were to play the festival in 2020, where do you think they'd place? 

Their new single is out on vinyl next week! 

I prefer ‘my’ bands to stay at this level, playing stages like the Park but no bigger than the JP. 

Just now, SighMo said:

I prefer ‘my’ bands to stay at this level, playing stages like the Park but no bigger than the JP. 

I wholeheartedly get that to be honest.

I don't think Idles will but I hate it when bands compromise on their sound etc. to gain more mainstream recognition. 

I still think Idles are in the 'you either get them or you don't' camp. I have friends who just don't get them and a friend who I took to Manchester last year who fell in love with them. 

6 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I wholeheartedly get that to be honest.

I don't think Idles will but I hate it when bands compromise on their sound etc. to gain more mainstream recognition. 

I still think Idles are in the 'you either get them or you don't' camp. I have friends who just don't get them and a friend who I took to Manchester last year who fell in love with them. 

I think you need to see them live to ‘get’ them and all the emotion of the moment. That’s the same for a lot of bands that I follow; Fat Whites being a good example for me. 

Just now, SighMo said:

I think you need to see them live to ‘get’ them and all the emotion of the moment. That’s the same for a lot of bands that I follow; Fat Whites being a good example for me. 

I took my mate to see them at Boomtown and he just couldn't get into them. I took the same friend to see Frank Carter at a gig in Liverpool and it blew him away. I definitely agree with you on seeing them live though! I was gutted to miss them this year due to my extremely late arrival! Roll on December!

2 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I took my mate to see them at Boomtown and he just couldn't get into them. I took the same friend to see Frank Carter at a gig in Liverpool and it blew him away. I definitely agree with you on seeing them live though! I was gutted to miss them this year due to my extremely late arrival! Roll on December!

I haven’t got quite so long to wait...Green Man in less than 3 weeks ?