Idles

fuzzy_logic

Showing solidarity with immigrants isn't the same as having some utopian idea that there will be no problems in the country with mass immigration. Owen Jones has criticised the Birmingham Muslim LGBT protesters, I think people are a bit unfair to him (but he doesn't help himself sometimes.)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Levitz said:

Labour have focused on left behind communities, housing, the NHS, austerity and welfare in their campaigns, no idea what you've been watching. 

I think that's why Corbyn drew a lot of votes and interest initially, and I did vote for him in the election, but they've lost it with Brexit support. 

5 minutes ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Showing solidarity with immigrants isn't the same as having some utopian idea that there will be no problems in the country with mass immigration. Owen Jones has criticised the Birmingham Muslim LGBT protesters, I think people are a bit unfair to him (but he doesn't help himself sometimes.)

bang on

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OddRon said:

does anyone know what idles played for their shangra la set, I like to torment myself and If they played television, well done or date night I'd be gutted

Ermm I was there and Well Done was certainly played

18 hours ago, ICGenie said:

In my experience (as someone who grew up in a 95% white area that has strong UKIP support, that moved to a very multi cultural city and who volunteers with refugees and asylum seekers) it’s the people who have the least amount of contact with non-white people who have the biggest issue with non-white people.

And yes there are problems in society but we are (despite what the Government and right wing press will tell you) a rich country.  We can afford to fund schools and hospitals.  We can afford to help the homeless and the poor and the old and the ex-service.  We choose not to.

Yep, and there are studies that bear this out: https://theconversation.com/hard-evidence-how-areas-with-low-immigration-voted-mainly-for-brexit-62138

Also worth noting that every time a trained immigrant comes to work in the NHS, we effectively get their training "for free". Our economy is generally strengthened by immigrants - they are keeping our services going, not a burden on them. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/about-department/fiscal-effects-immigration-uk

Maybe @Chinaski_ isn't a racist, but they're completely wrong and all the arguments sound an awful lot like racist ones.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 5:58 PM, Chinaski_ said:

I think there's a lot more to Brexit than just the "Britain is racist" rhetoric. Yes some of it was racist definitely, but I know people who voted for it as they wanted a change etc rather than them being racists and hating immigrants. I just don't like the "if you don't agree with what I say you're racist" argument, but I guess that comes from young people not being allowed discuss anything anymore without someone being offended and shutting it down. Unfortunately misguided people will fall for con artists like Boris, Farage, Trump etc but I think that's a fault of Labour too, for not focusing on social housing, jobs etc in their campaigns. I think there's so much to sort out in this country before thinking about leaving the EU etc. 

I absolutely agree with that but I think the issue is that people all over the world are looking at the problems in our society and blaming the wrong people. There is less national identity now in every country than there used to be and less well paid unskilled jobs than there used to be. No matter where you go in the world you are likely to find that there are familiar names on the high street and that's because globalisation and the rise of the corpocracy is more behind the problems we have today than anything else. 

The problem is that to solve the powers that corporations have you need increasing cooperation between countries rather than the isolationism that Britain is opting for. Immigrants are not responsible for any of this in any country but the media have done an excellent job of conning people into thinking this is the case. 

On 7/1/2019 at 12:18 PM, OddRon said:

does anyone know what idles played for their shangra la set, I like to torment myself and If they played television, well done or date night I'd be gutted

I can't remember what they played, but I do remember they got the whole crowd doing the conga!

5 hours ago, Airlie said:

tried to watch them, couldn't see a thing so gave up! Wasn't that far away, just the angle of the park means that if you are on the right hand side (facing stage) its harder to see. 

Baffles me why people don't walk around to the left of the stage? 

This was taken as they're coming on stage. 

IMG_20190628_192841.jpg

5 hours ago, The Nal said:

Baffles me why people don't walk around to the left of the stage? 

This was taken as they're coming on stage. 

IMG_20190628_192841.jpg

Completely agree. A few of my group hate pushing through people. I always say politely push through and you will find there is way more space near the front then back here.  

9 hours ago, mpdow2 said:

Completely agree. A few of my group hate pushing through people. I always say politely push through and you will find there is way more space near the front then back here.  

I have that sometimes, not because I feel bad about squeezing through but I just can't be doing with the crowd crush myself.  Can be annoying, as I know it's only a short burst and there's glorious open space just over the horizon, but brain just not having it.

18 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

See the Pyramid Thread stage re people coming to the back of a crowd and just stopping. 

I'm gonna bet it was more or lese the same for the Foals.

Unfortunately it was rammed right back to the ribbon tower, I had to go right the way round the fence to get back to were my group were, just about 10 m towards the stage from where that photo above is taken, after going to the bogs about 10 mins before they came on

7 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

After missing Idles at Glastonbury, I get to see them at Kendall Calling in 2 weeks. Mates are going to the Doves so me on my lonesome, I'm pretty sure I can get to the front. And after listening to them on repeat lately, I can't flipping wait!

You’ll love it! I was fairly near the front, the actual front will be a massive mosh pit. If that’s your thing, happy days but if not, you’ve been warned! 

10 hours ago, Curlygirl said:

After missing Idles at Glastonbury, I get to see them at Kendall Calling in 2 weeks. Mates are going to the Doves so me on my lonesome, I'm pretty sure I can get to the front. And after listening to them on repeat lately, I can't flipping wait!

So jealous...even though I've now seen them three times, they just keep getting better. 

And for some reason I neglected to buy tickets for Glasgow in the presale (despite being very kindly sent a link) whilst on the Glasto coach, partly because I wasn't sure if my Glasgow mates would be up for it, and then clean forgot for the rest of the weekend. They had of course sold out by the time I replied....and one of my friends is now a convert after watching their Park set on iplayer. 

I am very much hoping something turns up on twickets!!!

14 hours ago, Skelts said:

You’ll love it! I was fairly near the front, the actual front will be a massive mosh pit. If that’s your thing, happy days but if not, you’ve been warned! 

I can handle a bit of moshing, but I don't think it'll be as busy at Kendal than it was at Glasto. Thanx for the heads up tho.