Idles

fuzzy_logic

38 minutes ago, HeyPorter said:

A week tomorrow in Manchester for me, feel like that’s come fast. Would like to think it’ll free me up from a clash nightmare in June but it’ll more than likely make them even more unmissable. 

Yeah, that's my worry! :D

OMG, IDLES were absolutely amazing last night. You guys are in for a treat!

21 hours ago, HeyPorter said:

Would like to think it’ll free me up from a clash nightmare in June but it’ll more than likely make them even more unmissable. 

Unlikely that watching them will free up any clash nightmares! Thinking about Colossus on the Park is already making me a bit crazy with anticipation. I would happily go and see them again tonight. So good. 

Also, Joe Talbot is a legend. Did some pretty funny references to the whole Sleaford Mods/Fat White Family spat.

In summary: G - R - E - AAAAAA - TTTTTTTT 

• Upvote 2

Found this tweet from the band Kermes quite interesting. They make a good point to be fair just in terms of any sort of gender equality on their tours. The thread with comments from other bands also says how they like Idles' music so it's far from trying to rip them to pieces. 

5 minutes ago, Impropaganda said:

Found this tweet from the band Kermes quite interesting. They make a good point to be fair just in terms of any sort of gender equality on their tours. The thread with comments from other bands also says how they like Idles' music so it's far from trying to rip them to pieces. 

*something about how the left will eat itself*

It's a good point though, there are plenty bands that contain/are entirely female that would fit really well supporting IDLES. 

Brighton on Friday for me, bizarrely not finding myself particularly excited despite them being a great live band. I'm sure on Friday I'll be buzzing. 

14 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

It's a good point though, there are plenty bands that contain/are entirely female that would fit really well supporting IDLES.

While that's true, I'm not comfortable pointing fingers in cases like this (especially in such an individualised situation for a mid level band) because we have no idea who's been asked or what the deal is. Were the support acts chosen by Idles, by a record company, or by a tour promoter? Was it part of a wider deal? Were these the first acts approached, or the 20th? How many female acts turned it down? Without knowing basically any of the context here it seems unfair to be calling them out. It's not like they're a band big enough to be going against what the record company or whoever wants on something like this.

I'll probably get stick for this from somewhere as it's t'internet in 2019, but appreciating the importance of the progression of female music opportunities and the improvement of balance in festival lineups doesn't equate to thinking that every gig I go to should look like a 90s Benetton ad poster.

Mis-directed shit like that just gives ammo to people poking fun and throwing abuse at those movements because they are, quite honestly, fucking laughable.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I'll probably get stick for this from somewhere as it's t'internet in 2019, but appreciating the importance of the progression of female music opportunities and the improvement of balance in festival lineups doesn't equate to thinking that every gig I go to should look like a 90s Benetton ad poster.

Mis-directed shit like that just gives ammo to people poking fun and throwing abuse at those movements because they are, quite honestly, fucking laughable.

100% agree.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeh me too....was trying to work out how to phrase it. 

For what it's worth, I thought Crows were a great choice of support band. Talbot seems to genuinely like them, and I don't think having only men in their support bands make their claims to be feminist any less valid

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

For what it's worth, I thought Crows were a great choice of support band. Talbot seems to genuinely like them, and I don't think having only men in their support bands make their claims to be feminist any less valid

Quite.  Crap like that from Kermes (not even going to classify it as an argument) is on a par with Louise Mensch claiming that anyone involved in the Occupy protests completely invalidated any points they were making about global inequalities by buying a Starbucks.  Flip side of the same coin.

Edited by Quark

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Quite.  Crap like that from Kermes (not even going to classify it as an argument) is on a par with Louise Mensch claiming that anyone involved in the Occupy protests completely invalidated any points they were making about global inequalities by buying a Starbucks.  Flip side of the same coin.

Is it?

Methinks the gentlemen doth protest too much, in every respect.

They're making a basic point which you're entitled to agree or disagree with.  Clearly they have skin in this particular game too, so are presumably going to notice it more when it occurs and may feel a a little sensitive when the word feminist is bandied around in reference to certain bands.

10 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Is it?

They're making a basic point which you're entitled to agree or disagree with.  Clearly they have skin in this particular game too, so are presumably going to notice it more when it occurs and may feel a a little sensitive when the word feminist is bandied around in reference to certain bands.

So are you saying that they're not feminist ENOUGH? By what measure? Am I not feminist enough for not even noticing there were no women on the stage? Maybe. I feel like a feminist though...Also, Crows aren't all white men. Are we giving out points for diversity? And if so, are the points all equal?

Sometimes the problem on the left is that we're so critical of each other. The issues IDLES deal with in their tracks, to me at least, feel refreshing. Maybe it's not enough, but the Kermes comment still made me do an eye-roll

But then, I am also massively biased because I think they're ace. 

Edited by Sasperella
  • Upvote 1

Just now, clarkete said:

Is it?

Yeah, I think the fundamental point stands.  Regardless of whether they have skin in the game of equality and feminism, questioning another party's support for a cause/topic/whatever based on a single visible action while ignoring anything else they've done is creating a false equivalency. 

So they could have tweeted a direct question to IDLES - in your position as a feminist band, why have you not taken any female presence on tour in your support acts?  I would have had absolutely no issue with that, as it's a reasonable question and could expect a reasonable response.

The passive aggressive twitter / Instagram approach that's taken there gets right up my nose. And it's a big nose so there's plenty of space.  There's no question, no invitation to discuss, just sounding like, and I use this term carefully as it's pretty loaded in today's world, virtue-signalling.  Maybe that's just the world of social media that I don't pretend to understand, being pretty provocative in your wording in order to generate traffic.

Again, I can't re-state enough that I'm fully supportive of increasing the profile and opportunity for equality in music and the world at large (insert "some of my favourite bands have ladies in them" comment here :D) but I honestly think stuff like this damages the validity of some of the arguments by leaving it open to ridicule.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

So are you saying that they're not feminist ENOUGH? By what measure? Am I not feminist enough for not even noticing there were no women on the stage? Maybe. I feel like a feminist though...Also, Crows aren't all white men. Are we giving out points for diversity? And if so, are the points all equal?

Sometimes the problem on the left is that we're so critical of each other. The issues IDLES deal with in their tracks, to me at least, feel refreshing. Maybe it's not enough, but the Kermes comment still made me do an eye-roll

But then, I am also massively biased because I think they're ace. 

Not everything needs to be turned into an issue, as others have said above the desire to look for meanings and sinister ulterior motives in the most banal of things is becoming a real issue itself. Are there not more pressing concerns than why there aren't any women in IDLES' support bands?

15 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Not everything needs to be turned into an issue, as others have said above the desire to look for meanings and sinister ulterior motives in the most banal of things is becoming a real issue itself. Are there not more pressing concerns than why there aren't any women in IDLES' support bands?

Maybe it would be more pressing if you were a woman in a potential support band?

Whether you agree with their point or not, to be honest it surprises me that several of you seem so aggrieved at them for making it - on here of all places.

• Upvote 1

Good turnaround Wooders.  Had actually just come back to the thread to say that I'm happy to discuss the point with @clarkete and everyone separately, but let's not turn another thread on here into a discussion forum for whether or not equality is a good thing :)

Haven't listened to Crows so will give them a go, probably should as I'll be seeing them on Friday! :D

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Are Crows worth checking out? The record is a bit of a plod.

I thought they were good, and a perfectly matched support band. My friend disagreed a bit, particularly at the start - he thought their sound was so similar to IDLES that it ended up just feeling like a second-rate act. However, he thought they got better throughout the set (I think they definitely upped the tempo) and by about half way through there were a few people having a wee mosh, and then it ended quite suddenly and I was a bit miffed that they didn't get to play a few more tracks

10 minutes ago, Quark said:

Good turnaround Wooders.  Had actually just come back to the thread to say that I'm happy to discuss the point with @clarkete and everyone separately, but let's not turn another thread on here into a discussion forum for whether or not equality is a good thing :)

Haven't listened to Crows so will give them a go, probably should as I'll be seeing them on Friday! :D

I like the album, ranges from Nick Cave inspired to wannabe Drenge (without ever being as good as either). Can't speak for them live but the Albert Hall is so expensive I imagine I'll be propping up the bar down the road when they play in Manchester.