Best Bogs

stuartbert two hats

For a "sit down"  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you like to sit and read the paper?

• Long Drops (roof)
    • Long Drops (no roof)
    • Composters
    • Portaloos
    • I don't shit at Glastonbury

4 hours ago, Bags73 said:

The worst toilets from a male perspective are those urinals that have a gap at the bottom by the trough.  I always seem to be opposite some doylum who pees directly into the trough causing "splash-across".    

Also the ones where the trough is so high you think you need to stand tip-toe.

Or some bell-end has left a can/cup in there and the splash-back...

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

Or some bell-end has left a can/cup in there and the splash-back...

I enquired as to why the urinals often had rolled up wire fencing in the 'trough'. I was informed this was to deter people leaving their litter in there. It was also to prevent the deranged from doing their turds in there too, thus avoiding blockages. It doesn't deter the deranged. :bad:

• Like 1

The bogs provided by the festival are good and the open air aspect of the long drops are a god send irrespective of the weather. The provision of hand sanitiser is vital to prevent the spread of infection. The worst I encountered last time was the portalloos provided in the car parks for over night arrivals. By the mornings they were vile. I actually thought they had become a dirty protest against ed sherrin as a headliner. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/15/2019 at 10:52 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Bisque,

I'm fairly sure that the weather will be fine, although I'll admit that I haven't looked in to that part in detail. I'm going to three countries, so expect there to be some kind of variance. That said, I've been to that region several times before roughly around that time before, and it's been t shirt, shorts, and sandals, territory. To be honest, I'd like the weather to be favourable, but it was never a prerequisite to me going. I just happened to stumble across what I thought was a good value holiday, at the same time as getting a bit of a wedge of cash that I wasn't expecting. All I had to do when that heady combination hit me was to talk my wife in to it. Now, you'd think that would be easy. Not so, in my case. Far from it, in fact. 

Very nice! I did Cambodia (again) & Northern Thailand and took the new other half for her first backpacking holiday so played it safe.

Looking at Laos next now around the same time as you, just weather so far & flight prices (teacher) is putting me off. I know she can hack the travelling chaos. I did Bali last year & not a drop of rain all two weeks around the same time.

Will probably look at Central (again) or South America though as OH is a Spanish teacher. Been that way?

edit: has anyone ever PAID to use a loo at Glasto? I know you could at Reading a few years back.

Edited by Bisque

41 minutes ago, Bisque said:

edit: has anyone ever PAID to use a loo at Glasto? I know you could at Reading a few years back.

Once upon a time there was paid loos on-site - branded "Comfy Crappers" and bizarrely, located in the Green Fields. Think they've been gone well over 10 years at this point though - I guess probably 05 or 07 was the last appearance. Never used them but someone must have and I think there's been nothing like that inside the fence since then.

It sounds ridiculous to me, but there's still apparently enough demand for at least one company to set up off-site (quite a walk off site at that), and charge people crazy amounts. Given that they're 15 minutes walk from Gate D, which itself is 15-45 minutes walk from anywhere people are likely to be, it's going to be well over an hour round trip from everywhere except a small number of campsites.

To be blunt about it, a lot of the time people don't help themselves. Whenever there's queues for toilets, or they're filthy, chances are there's a much cleaner much quieter block within 5 minutes walk. The Pyramid Stage is a classic example of this - there's 2 main sets of toilets that everyone uses, but walk up the hill a bit and there's plenty of better options.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

Once upon a time there was paid loos on-site - branded "Comfy Crappers" and bizarrely, located in the Green Fields. Think they've been gone well over 10 years at this point though - I guess probably 05 or 07 was the last appearance. Never used them but someone must have and I think there's been nothing like that inside the fence since then.

It sounds ridiculous to me, but there's still apparently enough demand for at least one company to set up off-site (quite a walk off site at that), and charge people crazy amounts. Given that they're 15 minutes walk from Gate D, which itself is 15-45 minutes walk from anywhere people are likely to be, it's going to be well over an hour round trip from everywhere except a small number of campsites.

To be blunt about it, a lot of the time people don't help themselves. Whenever there's queues for toilets, or they're filthy, chances are there's a much cleaner much quieter block within 5 minutes walk. The Pyramid Stage is a classic example of this - there's 2 main sets of toilets that everyone uses, but walk up the hill a bit and there's plenty of better options.

I used the Comfy Crappers one year! I was young and silly, and in retrospect it wasn't worth the price (which wasn't loads - maybe a tenner for the weekend or something?), but it made sense they were in the green fields as they were all composters and I think the organisation was a non-profit or something... they definitely had a lot of signs up about preserving water and environmental issues. The toilets weren't amazing, but they were nicer than the long drops - really similar to today's composters actually, albeit more regularly cleaned/better maintained, which might be why there is no need for them now. The worst thing about it was the queue! That made it not worth it in my eyes and despite having the wristband I quite often couldn't be arsed to wait. 

Recalling my memory, it wasn’t Reading that had Comfy Crappers, it was Bestival & they were sort of on the way into the arena from the campsite if you went the long way round.

I’m sure Reading had paid for porecline loos though, & a fricking long queue for showers included too.

I personally think Glasto has the best loos of all the fests I’ve been to & plenty more in decent locations if you know that holding it in for a few steps more is worth it. Always felt sorry for the missus having to queue though whilst I could just wizz away in a trough at the back of the Pyramid. Tbh I’m not that much of an arse that I’d be bothered about missing a song if a mate needed wee/poo though & wanted me to wait for them. Community spirit & that. I’d probably have held their hand during a Coldplay headline set.

1 hour ago, Bisque said:

Very nice! I did Cambodia (again) & Northern Thailand and took the new other half for her first backpacking holiday so played it safe.

Looking at Laos next now around the same time as you, just weather so far & flight prices (teacher) is putting me off. I know she can hack the travelling chaos. I did Bali last year & not a drop of rain all two weeks around the same time.

Will probably look at Central (again) or South America though as OH is a Spanish teacher. Been that way?

Hello Bisque,

Mother of sweet Jesus, have me and her indoors had an afternoon of it. To cut a long story short we had reason to believe that we were going to be the subjects of a D*ugs bust! Fuck me - either that was a close call, or me and my wife got more paranoid than a paranoid thing on paranoid tablets. Ho hum!

Anyway, that's neither here nor there in connection with the above. In answer to your question about America, no, I have never visited the place. I kind of know that the USA wont let me in, because of a trail of criminal convictions that I've left in my wake! Long gone now though. To be honest, I'd kind of be a little bit wary of a place where I could get 'proper' military grade coke. I was offered some of it when I visited Mexico once, but had to decline because I'd promised to be on my best behaviour with my travelling amigos. When you are asked by a bloke sitting down on the floor slightly lifting his sombrero to ask you the question ' Do you want to buy something you really want, but don't really need'?,  then you kind of get an inkling as to what he was offering! lol

In response to your very last question, I can only answer 'yes'. Yes, I have paid to use a loo at Glastonbury. And oh, have I paid, but not directly financially. I'm a martyr to the piles, you see. When those lads kick off, you pay, and that's that! No shit, I can only imagine a gun shot wound to feel as bad!

All the best.  :)

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 11:27 PM, GMF said:

I am quite happy to use whatever is available, but one of our group had a eureka moment when she found her first composter. As the person who organises our group, some may say control freak, but i say organise, i have been tasked with  mapping the compost loos for her.

Did you manage to get this finished by any chance?

23 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

do the plumbed in ceramic toilets still exist? One year (pos 2010)  we camped 10 minute walk from them and was always worth the walk in the morning. Never been early enough to camp in that area since so not sure if they are still a thing. Surprised no one has mentioned them.

Think that 2015 was the last time. Or if they do still exist, they're no longer in a public area.

The best sh*t I have ever had was in the longdrops at the top of Williams / Dragon, when it was still public camping. It had rained all night and the long drops had been given a good scrub.  There was mist in the air and I just sat there in a sweaty feverish state and appreciated all the badness leave my body.  Ethereal it was.  

5 hours ago, rockandnoll said:

Did you manage to get this finished by any chance?

The best I could do was copy a map from @Worthy in 2016, colour coded by type. Recreated post as the thread is archived. I don’t think things were much different in 2017.

I've just circled the toilets by type, though there's a bunch I don't remember or are new and so aren't labeled. If anyone definitely knows what some of the others are I'll update them.

• Light Blue circle = Long drops
  • Red circle = Composting
  • Green circle = African Latrines
  • Yellow circle = Flushing Toilets!

The uncircled ones just to the East of the Pyramid are urinals - male and female.

8DFA55DB-3EEF-4E05-9BD9-6CBC1D7EC656.jpeg.673a6821d91ed35211e734528d6f47d5.jpeg

• Upvote 1