Want to buy a tent in the Jan sales

blazingstars

Thanks for the pump advice. I'll give it a thought, just seems a bit risky. Never used a tent that you inflate instead of poles. 

Is the risk of punctures high? Worried somebody could accidentally (or even intentionally) puncture it and then your whole tent's fucked. A punctured bed is easy to replace, deal with, tent no so much.

At a regular camping site I wouldn't worry, but at Glasto with so many people seems like a higher risk of incident. Or am I just paranoid over nothing? haha

2 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

Thanks for the pump advice. I'll give it a thought, just seems a bit risky. Never used a tent that you inflate instead of poles. 

Is the risk of punctures high? Worried somebody could accidentally (or even intentionally) puncture it and then your whole tent's fucked. A punctured bed is easy to replace, deal with, tent no so much.

At a regular camping site I wouldn't worry, but at Glasto with so many people seems like a higher risk of incident. Or am I just paranoid over nothing? haha

This is why I've not got one of these.  I've got the pop up version but I'm not sure about risking the bigger inflatable one, where someone could puncture it or nick the valve for a giggle.

Anyone successfully used these at Glasto or other festivals so far?

2 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

Not read of any punctures but some report problem with pools of water inside tent as a result of condensation forming on the inflated spar. Friend had no such  issue though and nobody let his tent down (Was sorely tempted though ? )

image.png.0b6c14230830ccdd8731c84c0804c981.png

Ive just managed to pick up one of these on facebook marketplace for £120 whereas they're still retailing at £320. Worth having a look on marketplace, gumtree or ebay as you can pick up some right bargains, and most importantly second hand is good for the environment! Haven't purchased a brand new tent now since 2010 - i think? 

3 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Ive just managed to pick up one of these on facebook marketplace for £120 whereas they're still retailing at £320. Worth having a look on marketplace, gumtree or ebay as you can pick up some right bargains, and most importantly second hand is good for the environment! Haven't purchased a brand new tent now since 2010 - i think? 

That is a beast. You could host some secret sets in there if you so desired.

16 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Remember... the bigger they are, the heavier they are

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Ill pass the message onto my friend who's driving - unfortunately i'm on the bus so cant carry it ;) 

do they chop your hands off as part of some sacrificial ceremony when you get on the bus then , to prove green travel ?  or are bus travellers banned from sleeping anywhere ? :) 

20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

do they chop your hands off as part of some sacrificial ceremony when you get on the bus then , to prove green travel ?  or are bus travellers banned from sleeping anywhere ? :) 

Yeah its a Flintstone-esque style bus where they've removed the storage from underneath so that we can all power the bus by foot! 

All i'm able to take on board is the most important thing for any journey - road beers ;) 

http://www.interhike.com/camping.equipment.gear/products/OM_TEGDARTT34TID/vango_dart_dlx_300_pop-up_tent.html

Not from here but this if you can get cheap is great. I got one refurbished from eBay a few years back and all that is wrong now is the spring action isn't as springy....but it still goes up in 5 minutes.

Porch is great for wellies, trolley etc and it's lined. Never had it leak, the only downside and it's not really one is the porch I believe is only one skin but if you get a bit of condensation on your wellies or trolley who cares...it's nice when you push your head into it on a hot day lol.

£50 I paid for mine wheb it was £130 brand new and tbh the quality of it was ridiculous....like a new tent, the bag it came in needed some tic with a broke strap but nothing you can't fix.

• Upvote 1

I'm looking for a new tent this year, i have a real problem with Pop up tents, great to get up, laughed at a mate who was having a mare constructing his last fest, mine was up in seconds. However egg on face come hung over Monday morning when it took me at least 45 mins to put the bloody thing in its bag! Never again. Looking for a 3/4 man tunnel tent , had one before but sort of got blown to bits at festival NO6 two years ago! I've seen one in Halfords for about £75. No doubt when i go looking it'll be sold out

GoOutdoors have two Colman versions of the blackout festival tents on sale ATM.

3 man:  https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-blackout-3-festival-tent-p470338 at £79

4 man: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-blackout-4-festival-tent-p470344 at £99

(Prices are with a goOutdoors discount card. However, GoOutdoors discount price with card often isn't that different to other shops discount prices anyway so if you like the look of the tent and hunt around you will get close on price).

Not sure if they are any better/worse than the Decathlon blackout tents, but they aren't pop ups so that's a plus in your case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, DarrenVonBoathook said:

GoOutdoors have two Colman versions of the blackout festival tents on sale ATM.

3 man:  https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-blackout-3-festival-tent-p470338 at £79

4 man: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/coleman-blackout-4-festival-tent-p470344 at £99

(Prices are with a goOutdoors discount card. However, GoOutdoors discount price with card often isn't that different to other shops discount prices anyway so if you like the look of the tent and hunt around you will get close on price).

Not sure if they are any better/worse than the Decathlon blackout tents, but they aren't pop ups so that's a plus in your case.

Considering one of these for myself this year, its going to be just me on my own in it, so i dont know whether to go for the 3 or 4 man, but i like having the extra space. Anyone got one that recommends them?

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 5:01 PM, e9t3 said:

I bought one of these after seeing a recommendation on here last year:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-3-freshblack-tent-3-man-id_8357355.html

Slept in until 2pm at Boomtown, lovely and cool and dark.

Did you find it ok not having having a porch?  I like to have somewhere separate to leave my wellies/boots. But I'm love with sleeping in until 2pm!

1 hour ago, MissC said:

Did you find it ok not having having a porch?  I like to have somewhere separate to leave my wellies/boots. But I'm love with sleeping in until 2pm!

I had the 3 man version of this in 2016 (older version of the one here https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-iii-freshblack-pop-up-tent-3-man-id_8357353.html) which didn't really have a porch which was a bit of a pain (especially as it was muddy) so I got a little shelter like this:

pop_sundome.jpg

And put it kinda opposite my tent with some tarp over the gap to act as a porch.

It worked OK but being 6' 3" I found the tent a bit cramped (especially as I was on site for over a week) so got some Decathlon vouchers for my birthday and got this one which is bigger

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-4-fb-tent-id_8384154.html 

The blackout lining is superb and did mean I could sleep a lot later in the one I did have so trust will be the same for my new one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dondo said:

I had the 3 man version of this in 2016 (older version of the one here https://www.decathlon.co.uk/2-seconds-easy-iii-freshblack-pop-up-tent-3-man-id_8357353.html) which didn't really have a porch which was a bit of a pain (especially as it was muddy) so I got a little shelter like this:

And put it kinda opposite my tent with some tarp over the gap to act as a porch.

It worked OK but being 6' 3" I found the tent a bit cramped (especially as I was on site for over a week) so got some Decathlon vouchers for my birthday and got this one which is bigger

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/air-seconds-4-fb-tent-id_8384154.html 

The blackout lining is superb and did mean I could sleep a lot later in the one I did have so trust will be the same for my new one.

I will also vouch for this, has done me the lat 2 festivals and is a great price there at Decathlon atm.

I've downsized to the 2 man pop-up (with porch) version this year, which I think is going to suit me well.

If you need a porch on an existing tent, I highly recommend a Vango gear store. I have bought one for my Fresh and Black pop-up and it's perfect. I paid £32, which I thought was a bargain, but it's now £25: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vango-Gear-Store/333159688892?epid=1857012215&hash=item4d91dd6abc:g:RdYAAOSwFeNcteGv

image.png.12917b95cb5cb2b68bc51c5986a035cd.png

5 hours ago, MissC said:

Yeah it's a little annoying but overall I'm happy with it. There's a bit of room outside the zipped section but still covered by the outside layer of plastic where I keep my boots.

• Like 1