Emily interview

dccool

My recollection of 2016 is that the music was superb, LCD with a GOAT performance from anyone I've ever seen, then strong sets from the likes of Sigur Ros, Beck, Nate Rateliff etc. However everything else was a struggle, could barely move so no real chance to bimble, physically exhausting, could never get into the naughty corner, could never lay down on the grass with a pint, Brexit etc.

No regrets at all and the experience made 2017 that much more special. But I'd take a line up where I had excitement for 0 main stage acts over those underfoot conditions every time.

2 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

My recollection of 2016 is that the music was superb, LCD with a GOAT performance from anyone I've ever seen, then strong sets from the likes of Sigur Ros, Beck, Nate Rateliff etc. However everything else was a struggle, could barely move so no real chance to bimble, physically exhausting, could never get into the naughty corner, could never lay down on the grass with a pint, Brexit etc.

No regrets at all and the experience made 2017 that much more special. But I'd take a line up where I had excitement for 0 main stage acts over those underfoot conditions every time.

That's a complete lie on reflection, I'd swim through a tunnel of shit ala Shawshank Redemption just to experience that LCD set.

Edited by kingbadger

I envy all of you that can just focus on the music. The rain just makes it all so miserable for me.

I could be watching Bowie jamming with Prince but if it’s raining, i’d fuck it all off to sit and sulk in the bar in the Acoustic field. The success of the festival for me is utterly dependent on the weather, far more than the linep.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mardy said:

I envy all of you that can just focus on the music. The rain just makes it all so miserable for me.

I could be watching Bowie jamming with Prince but if it’s raining, i’d fuck it all off to sit and sulk in the bar in the Acoustic field. The success of the festival for me is utterly dependent on the weather, far more than the linep.

Wasn't particularly wet overhead in 2016 though, was it? Just terrible underfoot. Knackering, but I had an absolute blast.

I enjoyed 2016, it was Glastonbury after all, but the line up wasn't great for me, at least headliner wise across all stages, paired with the mud and the horriffic journey it was the worst I've been to.

2010 or 2017 weather would have improved it immensely. 

As much as I will obsess about the line-up and weather in the build up looking back I can’t say I have had anything but a pretty equally great time each year.

i prefer sunshine, no mud and headliners I love but i’m yet to have a year where I can’t find acts I love by the time I go and plenty to do undercover.

That said I didn’t go in 2007

37 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Whataver way it worked out I didn't see a band when it was raining that year and saw well over 20. 

Great year for acts. ZZ Top, Ronnie Spector, Art Garfunkel, Rokia Traore, Squeeze, Adele, St Paul & The Broken Bones, Kamasi Washington, Beck, Patti Griffin...

Missed Sigur Ros, PJ Harvey, LCD Soundsystem, ELO, Christine and the Queens, White Denim, Underworld, Earth Wind and Fire, Savages, John Grant, Kurt Vile and so on. 

Don't get me wrong though, give me 2017 sun instead any time. Glorious stuff. 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Utter shit. Bar Patti.

Patti Smith was 2015. 

So just utter shit then. 

10 minutes ago, DJL said:

As much as I will obsess about the line-up and weather in the build up looking back I can’t say I have had anything but a pretty equally great time each year.

i prefer sunshine, no mud and headliners I love but i’m yet to have a year where I can’t find acts I love by the time I go and plenty to do undercover.

That said I didn’t go in 2007

2007 was a totally different story. No late night options really as it was pre SE corner, Stone Circle wasnt an option as it was pissing rain and Lost Vagueness was coming to an end. The weather was utterly appalling and the lineup was a load of old bollocks. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Festival_line-ups#2007 

Edited by The Nal

2016 had me broken. Great line-up but physically so demanding. I made it through to Nathaniel rateliff on Sun pm, was really looking forward to it but just couldnt lift myself. So packed up and left, via a tow from aa. Wasn't fussed about any of the headliners but did feel a bit of regret watching the Coldplay set on tv. Not because of Coldplay....Just admiration for those still bouncing around enjoying themselves.

34 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Wasn't particularly wet overhead in 2016 though, was it? Just terrible underfoot. Knackering, but I had an absolute blast.

The mud came from the rain that constantly fell before the festival opened.

As one of the team that “builds” it, I have never and probably will never witness again, such a mammoth effort by the entire build crew ALL over the site to 1) provide any kind of show, 2) maintain the required festival safety levels to enable 150k piss heads into a few fields, 3) open on time-ish.

Granted the traffic and car park drainage made many people’s festival start late - and the festival learnt its lesson in contingency planning.  I understand there is now a wood chip pile the size of Everest.

2016 felt like the hardest 10 days work of my life and consequently 2017 was a such piece of piss. 

• Upvote 2