Thom Yorke 2019

Madyaker

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Exceedingly late to the party as ever but I've just bought Anima based on how hauntingly lovely Dawn Chorus is and fuck me it's good. Next year Park headline? Would love to see it live.

@endswithMJ has heard that he’s headlining West Holts next year. Would be very happy with that, I quite like all his solo albums but he was brilliant live at NOS Alive last month and I’d definitely be up for seeing him again.

4 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

@endswithMJ has heard that he’s headlining West Holts next year. Would be very happy with that, I quite like all his solo albums but he was brilliant live at NOS Alive last month and I’d definitely be up for seeing him again.

Oh man id love this, think that's the first sign of ticket sale anxiety!

Took me a few weeks with this album on in the background for me to get my head around it. The Axe is amazing. He's touring the US next, presumably he'll take a bit of a break after that and Europe in the new year?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 7:22 AM, Quark said:

I was just wondering if anyone thinks Radiohead will headline Glastonbury in 2020. I think someone somewhere on this thread said bands only tour if they do an album. None of Radioheads solo projects seem to suggest any albums due, in the future, for Radiohead itself, as a whole band. 

Just now, stt11 said:

I was just wondering if anyone thinks Radiohead will headline Glastonbury in 2020. I think someone somewhere on this thread said bands only tour if they do an album. None of Radioheads solo projects seem to suggest any albums due, in the future, for Radiohead itself, as a whole band. 

Personally not at all.  If they hadn't played a couple of years ago you might say they could be an RKO outta nowhere booking for the 50th given their history with the festival, but 2017 rules that out for me and there's nothing to suggest a touring cycle coming up.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Personally not at all.  If they hadn't played a couple of years ago you might say they could be an RKO outta nowhere booking for the 50th given their history with the festival, but 2017 rules that out for me and there's nothing to suggest a touring cycle coming up.

Are they quite close to the festival, in some way then?

Edited by stt11
punctuation

2 minutes ago, stt11 said:

Are they quite close to the festival, in some way then?

Kinda, yeah.  They've had at least one defining headline set in '97, plus a couple of other pretty damn good ones in '03 and '17.  Recent years have seen a few secret sets and DJ sets from Thom and / or Jonny, and they're generally knocking about the place in some capacity :)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quark said:

Kinda, yeah.  They've had at least one defining headline set in '97, plus a couple of other pretty damn good ones in '03 and '17.  Recent years have seen a few secret sets and DJ sets from Thom and / or Jonny, and they're generally knocking about the place in some capacity :)

I don't know though. I was just about to apologise for what a silly question I asked. Because I think, nowadays, the Eavis's fall out with a lot of acts, because of the chauvinism Emily experiences, as the organiser. When Thom said he thought 18 year old Emily was a 'Nice person', in the NME in 1997; it sounded a bit patronising. I don't reckon they invite Thom Yorke to hang around, patronising her too much, nowadays. Mainly because she's got to run the place.

I've always felt very uncomfortable about watching Radiohead at Glastonbury, I've been there three times they were playing and I was glad I missed them, every time.

7 minutes ago, stt11 said:

I don't know though. I was just about to apologise for what a silly question I asked. Because I think, nowadays, the Eavis's fall out with a lot of acts, because of the chauvinism Emily experiences, as the organiser. When Thom said he thought 18 year old Emily was a 'Nice person', in the NME in 1997; it sounded a bit patronising. I don't reckon they invite Thom Yorke to hang around, patronising her too much, nowadays. Mainly because she's got to run the place.

You sure that story's true? Emily wasn't involved in running the festival until after Jean Eavis died in 1999.

Back when Emily first got involved she was pretty much a background figure, learning the ropes. If Thom did ever make a 'nice person' comment back in Emily's early years I suspect it was based on not having had much contact with her to form a bigger opinion.

I'm pretty sure that Emily had something to do with Thom playing secret sets on the Park Stage, so I don't reckon there's any fall out there.

On 8/20/2019 at 5:32 AM, kingcrawler said:

Saw him in Lisbon playing Anima and he was so absolutely into it. He has to be there for the 50th...of course he does.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, stt11 said:

When Thom said he thought 18 year old Emily was a 'Nice person', in the NME in 1997; it sounded a bit patronising.

What a terrible thing for Thom to say!

Seriously though, the band (or at least some of them) go every year, they clearly love it, as a number of them have said on numerous occasions. 

Given there was a 14 year break between the last headline appearances, I can’t see them doing that again anytime soon, if at all. Maybe a better chance of a secret set at some stage, but I’d be surprised if it was 2020 given the current solo projects

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, henry bear said:

What a terrible thing for Thom to say!

Seriously though, the band (or at least some of them) go every year, they clearly love it, as a number of them have said on numerous occasions. 

Given there was a 14 year break between the last headline appearances, I can’t see them doing that again anytime soon, if at all. Maybe a better chance of a secret set at some stage, but I’d be surprised if it was 2020 given the current solo projects

I think Radiohead played a secret set, at the park in 2010. I could be wrong though.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah was able to get into the pit really easily for Steve and then U2 as a result. 

It's sad that there's this ticket problem at Glastonbury . There's no real fun talking secret sets, when it's uncertain if tickets are available.

39 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Could see Thom headlining west holts with his solo stuff

I think it might be likely that he'll play. I saw him play in Manchester Palace theatre, in June last year. The Thom York stuff seems to be the only thing going on though. There doesn't seem to be any Radiohead stuff. Everything about Thom Yorke seems quite big at the moment.