Thom Yorke 2019

Madyaker

Can I start a thread for this? I'm sick of bumping the old radiohead one. He's touring and the current tour setup looks bloody amazing. There must be a good chance surely with a solo album confirmed to be imminent? No idea where the'd put him. West Holts headliner maybe? I'd nearly buy tickets to Bilbao BBK just for this

Edited by Madyaker

I've no idea where would suit him to be honest, West Holts would surely be too small? Then again I'm not very clued up on the size/appeal of Yorke as a solo act.

As a massive RH fan I'd be up for exploring this at Glasto, unless there's someone on I like elsewhere.

11 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

I've no idea where would suit him to be honest, West Holts would surely be too small? Then again I'm not very clued up on the size/appeal of Yorke as a solo act.

As a massive RH fan I'd be up for exploring this at Glasto, unless there's someone on I like elsewhere.

WH would be fine, as would the more suitable JP. Park would get a bit preposterous, but it would safely hold the number of people actually there for his solo music and positively spacious by the time the last note rings out.

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/thom-yorke-radiohead-oscar-best-song-shortlist-suspiria-1203102955/

So it seems he's going to finish this little tour first and then finish the solo album which suggests to me that we might not get an album for a while. I've no idea whether that makes him more or less likely to appear at G. I'm having a hard time finding a comprehensive list of the tour dates he's doing in 2019. He's cinfirmed for Bilbao BBK which is shortly after G. I think there's a good chance he'll appear somewhere.

TIL Thom Yorke can't read sheet music. I have to say that's surprising. I can read music, does that mean I'm better than Thom Yorke?

Edited by Madyaker

On 1/6/2019 at 8:16 AM, Northern Soul said:

Thom Yorke is one of the finest musicians of the 20th and 21st centuries.

15 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

TIL Thom Yorke can't read sheet music. I have to say that's surprising. I can read music, does that mean I'm better than Thom Yorke?

I remember reading something like that years ago. Given my earlier statement (something that I stand by) how is that possible? For someone to be such an accomplished musician but isn’t able to read sheet music. How is it possible to just “know” music? 

17 minutes ago, Northern Soul said:

I remember reading something like that years ago. Given my earlier statement (something that I stand by) how is that possible? For someone to be such an accomplished musician but isn’t able to read sheet music. How is it possible to just “know” music? 

Isn't Paul McCartney the same? Pretty sure I've read before that he can't read sheet music either

2 hours ago, Northern Soul said:

You can know music theory without being able to read sheet music so he’s obviously able to write songs proficiently.

It’s only really surprising in the way that you expect the best musicians to have gone through music education, where they have to learn how to read music as part of the syllabus. For someone like Thom who didn’t go thru music school and earnt on his guitar using tabs and chord charts; it’s not that far out. Loads of artists are the same, and obviously increasing.

I heard recently that Count Basie, one of the most influential jazz band leaders and arrangers ever, also can't read sheet music

Seems there are still ways of communicating ideas and parts even for a full-blown ensemble like Basie's orchestra, and of course Macca just hummed the parts he wanted to George Martin who wrote them down (I believe a young Quincy Jones formalised some of Basie's arrangements in possibly a similar role?)

57 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

I'm in a little band. Never felt the need to read sheet music. Not that I'm at Thom Yorke's level!

I studied music for my leaving cert (irish equivalent of A levels) so I had to learn. I'm not in a band an I don't do gigs but I enjoy writing and playing for myself. You can obviously be a prefessional musician without learning how to read it but it would make things easier and it's not very complicated. I was surprised because I always thought Thom had studied music. Not sure where I heard that it was obviously wrong.

He went to Darty with the El Dude Brothers.

Paul or Thom could learn it in like an afternoon with the experience they have within music, but I think it’s something of a badge of honour to get to that point without knowing how to read music. Noel G actually said something like “I can’t read music, I don’t know anyone who can but I promise you their music is shite”... and he’s The Chief.

19 hours ago, Northern Soul said:

Tori Amos can't read sheet music. Not many better than her on a piano.

• Upvote 1