Summer Solstice

Keithy

So I've always thought that Glastonbury is held over (or as near as dammit to) the Summer Solstice. But in 2019 the solstice is on Friday 21st June but Glastonbury is on the week after (26th - 30th). Surely the 19th- 23rd would have been the better weekend to coincide with the solstice?

Or is it that Glastonbury is held on the the first weekend after the solstice?

Either way, it's a bit of a billy bonus as I'll be able to go to Stonehenge now.

2 hours ago, Cooter said:

As far as I can remember too. Plus that A303 would be even more of a nightmare if G clashed with all the hippy druids floating about at stonehenge.

Glastonbury was the next stop on the 'hippie' calender. Straight after the 'Stonehenge Festival.' Which was always held over the solstice.  Good times and so much better than the modern police controlled / english heritage money making favour they do now. IMO there's a strong argument that the travellers started the Glastonbury that we know and love. ?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, mashedonmud said:

Glastonbury was the next stop on the 'hippie' calender. Straight after the 'Stonehenge Festival.' Which was always held over the solstice.  Good times and so much better than the modern police controlled / english heritage money making favour they do now. IMO there's a strong argument that the travellers started the Glastonbury that we know and love. ?

Totally agree, I was a 9 year old hippy kid 40 years ago djing in a double decker bus at a Stonehenge solstice. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, mashedonmud said:

Hmmm. The 'real' hippies scowled at those who headed to worthy farm.

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Hmmm. The 'real' hippies scowled at those who headed to worthy farm.

The new age travellers and original hippies didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but free parties was common ground.  It all went pear shaped after the 'battle of the beanfield', 1985 if I recall correctly. I myself slept through that in cholderton woods having over indulged and missing my seat on our small part of the 'peace convoy '. ?

Edited by mashedonmud

The travellers very nearly broke the festival but they were the seeds to the south east corner that we know today. BUT the "so called' hippies are foundation stone to Glastonbury without which it would not be here. Both have contributed to the festival we have today. Long may it live and grow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

Don't think that's really true.

The future of the festival was precarious due to ticketless punters jumping the fence. The travellers caused issues, but lesser ones.

Indeed, inability to control attendance and keep it within the licence limit was much more of an issue. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, clarkete said:

Indeed, inability to control attendance and keep it within the licence limit was much more of an issue. 

I don't dispute that ticketless attended were a major issue but travellers Molotov cocktails around the farm was a little unpopular with the locals too.

Edited by HalfAnIdiot
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

This video is an interesting slice of history if you've not seen it before.

While the festival was a much more exciting place when the travellers were there it is certain that the festival would not have continued if Eavis hadn't eventually refused them entry in '92.

wasn't '92 the year they crashed into Williams and were more of a part of the festival than they were before that?