HMV....back into administration

A-Rob

https://www.nme.com/news/music/hmv-administration-2425069

For the second time in about 5 years HMV is into administration, I genuinely hope they survive! The high streets without music stores looks bleak, but it looks like an uphill battle to survive in today's market.  

I prefer Fopp which is owned by HMV so I'm not sure how this will effect them. Banquet Records in Kingston still remains my favourite music shop, I highly recommend people pop in if you're ever in the area.

TBH I go into the big London HMV off Bond Street every now and then and the selection of music is underwhelming, it's more geared to oldies with lots of stuff like The Who, Rolling Stones and other oldies rather than the current state of music in the rock sections. Then again the older generation are probably the ones who buy cds still.

I must admit, I love HMV. Despite having an ipod and mp3 player I still prefer physical CDs, which I then transfer to said devices. It's my go to shop when I'm feeling down, I go in there to browse but I always end up buying something. Having said that, I've only bought 4 CDs this year and a couple of DVDs. 

On 12/29/2018 at 1:18 PM, Hugh Jass said:

The decline in sales of physical media in general has done for them. If it wasn’t for the vinyl revival they would have gone under long ago.

Yep, music lovers/collectors now prefer Vinlys. I still buy some CDs, but generally less than 10 a year. However I still feel overwhelmed when I'm at good record store, I feel like I want to buy everything! 

Wierd how devalued music has become over the past decade or two- think that ruling by the chart people that banned there being more than 3 tracks on a single was the beginning of the process along with napster then streaming. 

I'm not a fan of the streaming subscription system--whenever I've tried a free trial I can never think of an album to listen too!

Think if you have access to everything, it loses value and identity. Hard to believe people used to pay £10 to £15 for a new album, where as now you can pay that for a month's access to zillions! It's nice people have access to so much but at the same time it becomes a bit more disposable. Also I do wonder if albums that would have been growers have passed us by and gotten lost in the crowd. At the same time I suppose people have discovered things they never would have otherwise. 

I sound very old! 

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Wierd how devalued music has become over the past decade or two- think that ruling by the chart people that banned there being more than 3 tracks on a single was the beginning of the process along with napster then streaming. 

I'm not a fan of the streaming subscription system--whenever I've tried a free trial I can never think of an album to listen too!

Think if you have access to everything, it loses value and identity. Hard to believe people used to pay £10 to £15 for a new album, where as now you can pay that for a month's access to zillions! It's nice people have access to so much but at the same time it becomes a bit more disposable. Also I do wonder if albums that would have been growers have passed us by and gotten lost in the crowd. At the same time I suppose people have discovered things they never would have otherwise. 

I sound very old! 

I think that's part of the appeal of vinyl for a lot of people, myself included. Putting on a record I've just bought means I'll take the time to listen to it a good few times at least.

On 12/31/2018 at 11:28 AM, Mr.Tease said:

The music industry have to take as much responsibility for it as Napster etc. I used to spend thousands in HMV every year but theres only so much of a cheap unlovable flimsy product that you can buy before another option becomes more appealing. 

I remember reading an interview with Slash before and him saying he knew something was off in the 90s when A&R guys were turning up in Ferraris. The cost of making and selling CDs was a fraction of vinyl yet the prices went up. Basically, we were being ripped off. Like people who drink gin. 

Now I spend 120 quid a year (vinyl aside) and listen to more music than ever before. HMVs 30 year old business model can't compete with that. 

Our HMV went in the first round and became a waterstones of all places another physical media form which seems to be on its way out.

I'm more worried that there doesn't seem to be any imagination with what to do with all this commercial property which is no longer needed... shops, even pubs now young people meet on apps are empty and the only solution seems to be subsidise for a few months and then once the subsidy has run out the company goes under again. 

30 minutes ago, lost said:

Our HMV went in the first round and became a waterstones of all places another physical media form which seems to be on its way out.

I'm more worried that there doesn't seem to be any imagination with what to do with all this commercial property which is no longer needed... shops, even pubs now young people meet on apps are empty and the only solution seems to be subsidise for a few months and then once the subsidy has run out the company goes under again. 

Town high streets have become depressing places full of pound shops and bookmakers.

I think you can make pubs succeed, but you have to stand out. My mate (and family) bought a free house 10 years ago. He brews his own beer, supplies local real ales and doesn't bother with food. He has won Camra national pub of the year once and last 16 several times. It won't make him a millionaire, but it's an important part of the village, whether he could replicate that in a town I'm not sure.

On 12/31/2018 at 1:00 PM, Dan R said:

I think that's part of the appeal of vinyl for a lot of people, myself included. Putting on a record I've just bought means I'll take the time to listen to it a good few times at least.

I have a streaming subscription for my daily commute which allows me access to my complete music library on the go and allows me to check out new releases and stuff mentioned on here I wouldn’t usually consider paying for. If I come across something I like I’ll usually buy a copy on vinyl to listen to at home, it’s try before you buy basically.

2 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

True. I go horse racing 5 - 10 times during the NH season and bet regularly from say Nov - May, haven’t been inside a bookies for at least 5 years. 

I have a bet most Saturdays on the football but do it all on my phone, as do the majority of people who bet regularly I'd wager. Whenever I walk past my local bookies, no matter what time of day, there are always people inside playing those fucking machines. They're the only reason why bookies have high street stores these days.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I have a bet most Saturdays on the football but do it all on my phone, as do the majority of people who bet regularly I'd wager.

Same and agreed (though rarely bet on football)

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Whenever I walk past my local bookies, no matter what time of day, there are always people inside playing those fucking machines. They're the only reason why bookies have high street stores these days.

Agreed

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

I have a bet most Saturdays on the football but do it all on my phone, as do the majority of people who bet regularly I'd wager. Whenever I walk past my local bookies, no matter what time of day, there are always people inside playing those fucking machines. They're the only reason why bookies have high street stores these days.

I'm banned from most of the online ones, so sometimes bookmakers are the easier option!

On 1/3/2019 at 10:23 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I have a streaming subscription for my daily commute which allows me access to my complete music library on the go and allows me to check out new releases and stuff mentioned on here I wouldn’t usually consider paying for. If I come across something I like I’ll usually buy a copy on vinyl to listen to at home, it’s try before you buy basically.

This is the same for me, a subscription is great for the tube and checking stuff out but anything I really like I will ultimately buy on vinyl.

Whilst I live and work in London giving me easy access to some great record shops I find HMV has its place to pop in and pick up some of the newer releases which smaller indies don't always have. Shame it looks like it is on its way out, I think there is a place in the (vinyl) marketplace for both to exist side by side.