Jeremy Corbyn

danbailey80

I abhor the cult of personality that’s developed around Corbyn. A man who has essentially said that we all need to be nice to each other, but has been utterly useless in opposing the worst government in our lifetime. Seriously, what has he been doing the last year? Providing a credible opposition to that gang of turds  should be the easiest job in the world and he’s done the square root of fuck all.

He can take his speeches on the Pyramid and White Stripes chants and stick them where the sun doesn’t shine.

• Upvote 18
  • Downvote 3

Oof, this could get feisty, not many in British politics who polarise opinion quite like him. Personally, I'd like to see a fair bit of what he wants doing done, but not everything. I don't think he's the messiah but I'd vote for him anyway. Concerned but not surprised by the amount of sheer hate I see directed at him, even from those on the left/centre.

Who knows where the fuck he'll be by June, will be surprised if he's still leader of the opposition by then, suspect there could be another general election in the spring and if it doesn't end with him being PM I can't see him staying as leader. Maybe a mid-afternoon slot or two on the Greenpeace stage or summat.

1 minute ago, RichardWaller said:

Oof, this could get feisty, not many in British politics who polarise opinion quite like him. Personally, I'd like to see a fair bit of what he wants doing done, but not everything. I don't think he's the messiah but I'd vote for him anyway. Concerned but not surprised by the amount of sheer hate I see directed at him, even from those on the left/centre.

Who knows where the fuck he'll be by June, will be surprised if he's still leader of the opposition by then, suspect there could be another general election in the spring and if it doesn't end with him being PM I can't see him staying as leader. Maybe a mid-afternoon slot or two on the Greenpeace stage or summat.

I don’t hate him, I just think he’s been utterly useless. He should be tearing into the government and taking May’s dinner money every day. That Labour don’t have an unassailable polls lead against a Tory party determined to fuck everything up for everyone is absolutely criminal.

Again, there’s a weird cult around him (which probably isn’t even his fault) that I can’t stand. Some look at him as a messiah, but in two years he’s done absolutely fuck all.

• Upvote 1

Is there not a general chat forum for this waffle?

Jeremy has many faults but Brexit betrayal isn't one of them, Labour's preferred policy has always been try and force a general election then re-open negotiations without May's immigration red lines, the restating that Brexit will still happen after an election should surprise nobody.

44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t hate him, I just think he’s been utterly useless. He should be tearing into the government and taking May’s dinner money every day. That Labour don’t have an unassailable polls lead against a Tory party determined to fuck everything up for everyone is absolutely criminal.

Again, there’s a weird cult around him (which probably isn’t even his fault) that I can’t stand. Some look at him as a messiah, but in two years he’s done absolutely fuck all.

Oh aye, not saying you hate him but plenty do. Would be hard pushed to stick me neck out and say who's had the most hostility from their own party out of Corbyn and May, certainly can't think of any other opposition leader who's had such determined campaigns against them here.

I really don't get it either, the Tories should've been sitting ducks for months now. Yeah, a vote of confidence against the government has got to be well timed so it's understandable to bide your time with summat like that, but personally would've felt last week would've been a great time instead of the call of no confidence against May personally. Not like they haven't got a conveyor of c**ts to replace her with, should be attacking the cause rather than the symptom.

In Corbyn's defence, he gets criticised for anything, everything and nothing. Feels like Labour have been stuck at crossroads for ages and the various factions of the party deserve as much blame for that as Corbyn. Fuck knows what the solution is with Labour, if Corbyn steps down or gets backstabbed out I can just see another cycle. Yeah, there's a cult around him and like it or not but Labour need the support whoever it's from. Party membership hit record figures yet so many MPs are openly hostile towards "entryists". Whether Labour could gain or lose support by replacing Corbyn, fuck knows. 

14 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

why didn't he just say he called TM a stupid woman ? I dont get why he's tried squirming out of it  just stand up and say it if you believe it :) 

Another fucked if you do and fucked if you don't scenario, isn't it? Personally I don't care whether he called Theresa May a stupid woman or he was referring to the cabinet as stupid people. I wouldn't say stupid about any of them, they know what's good for themselves and their peers and don't give a shit what's good for the rest of us. I don't think any of the cuts have been stupid, I don't think any impact has been unintentional. Cruel, yes. Stupid, no.

Anyway, back to stupid woman. Nah, calling Theresa May a stupid woman doesn't make him misogynistic. He's not belittling my female friends and family, think it defies logic to make that connection but this part and parcel of the standard of political debate in this country. If you're opposed to something you must agree with the opposite. If you don't criticise something, or even if you do but not enough or in the wrong way, you're condoning it etc..

Love him or hate him, Blair would be wiping the floor with May at the moment. I'd even go as far to say that she would have fallen several months ago.

Corbyn is woeful. One of weakest, divided and rudderless governments since Majors 94-97 and Labour are barely landing any body blows. Utterly shameful.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Love him or hate him, Blair would be wiping the floor with May at the moment. I'd even go as far to say that she would have fallen several months ago.

Corbyn is woeful. One of weakest, divided and rudderless governments since Majors 94-97 and Labour are barely landing any body blows. Utterly shameful.

This is literally fantasy - it's like me saying if I were in charge of glastonbury it would be ten times better! It's a statement that can't be disproved then being used as fact. 

You can see this folly in the brexit debate--after all the recent disaster, the polls still show roughly the same 50/50split - shouldn't remain be 20points ahead? Blair backs it! Why aren't remain 20 points ahead?! See its daft simplification that ignores an interesting and unpredictable era we're currently in politically. 

Looking at electoral indicators at home and abroad, centrism looks like its collapsed, and voters seem to have polarised, favouring anti establishment or anti status quo/orthodoxy.

Essentially in the UK there's a pretty evenly balanced split -  40% conservatives, 40% labour, 10% lib dems 5% ukip, 5% greens. Its a stalemate, and each of the main parties can't take on other parties votes without losing supporters from the other side (eg if they went more pro brexit they'd pick up more ukip votes but would lose current supporters to either the greens or lib dems) To say Blair or any other leader would be leading be x amount is a daft simplification and assumes nothings changed since 1997 when the whole problem is everything's changed since then. What would blairs brexit policy be? His economic policy? How would he won voters without alienating others? 

I voted Corbyn in the first leadership contest and the second, I still support him because I believe in his policies. Since day one supporters of these policies have been dismissed as cultists, idiots etc when really the people who seem most obsessed with him are his critics. When he first became leader austerity was all the rage and any one who opposed it was dismissed as a fantasist. Now no main stream party supports it. He's had a huge impact on shifting the debate. 

At the end of the day if Corbyn is so awful why are the tories so shit scared of an election? 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, RichardWaller said:

Anyway, back to stupid woman. Nah, calling Theresa May a stupid woman doesn't make him misogynistic. He's not belittling my female friends and family, think it defies logic to make that connection but this part and parcel of the standard of political debate in this country. If you're opposed to something you must agree with the opposite. If you don't criticise something, or even if you do but not enough or in the wrong way, you're condoning it etc..

I think it's the blatant lying about afterwards that's more telling. It seems to be his default position when caught out.

21 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I think it's the blatant lying about afterwards that's more telling. It seems to be his default position when caught out.

It’s weird isn’t it? I wouldn’t have thought it’d be worth lying about and I have found the outrage from the Tories quite amusing and unfathomable really, it’s funny what does and doesn’t count as offensive, depending on who says it of course. Priorities can be fucking weird. But yeah, if he said stupid woman (not even seen the clip and not a lip reader meself) and admitted it, he’d have been slaughtered for it. The S*n would probably be calling him a sexist next to an article about how the gender pay gap is a myth.

Corbyn has always been pro-Brexit and he continues to show his true colours with his tepid opposition and recent statements about renegotiating with the EU, against the will of party members.

He should be backing a second referendum, instead he's been complicit in plunging the country into crisis.

• Upvote 1

I empathise with people's frustration. He comes across as spineless and appears to sit on the fence for everything. 

It should be the easiest time in recent history to gain ground against a laughingstock government but there's no evidence to suggest labour would win an election.

Someone like Chukka who supports a people vote would be cleaning up now. Yes they would loose some of brexit voters but gain a lot of centrists. 

Edited by danbailey80

when he appeared on the pyramid stage I went to watch and was pleasantly surprised,  but now my pleasant surprise has just developed into boredom at listening to the guy ... im not sure what his policies are ... he runs away from interviews .... if he goes back to the eu should he win an election he won't get better than TM as he has always been pro brexit . he's just a stupid old man that could have formed a strong opposition ... come back to the farm Jeremy and I will come and watch you on one of the small stages as you have no hope of interesting the majority ... people have lost interest in him just as much as brexit im afraid to say . Bring on Caroline Lucas for a decent billing at the Festival 

13 minutes ago, thesecretingredientiscrime said:

She was on the pyramid at the peak of her popularity and was drowned out by booing. I dread to think the reaction she’d get now that her and her party have shown their colours

just read up on that ... wasn't aware ... not sure about the peak of popularity though with the lack of popularity of the main partys at the moment  ... its a chance for some of the smaller partys to maybe make some small breakthroughs ... I dont agree with all of her policies but she seems to have quite a bit more charisma than corbyn and honesty than May ... but thats my thoughts having seen her speak recently