Leaving site Friday evening and coming back Saturday evening

Kal18

Looking for some advice! I got tickets and then found out my cousin's getting married on the Saturday of Glastonbury :( After a long argument with my mum it seems that I have to go to this wedding, so either I skip the festival completely or I leave the festival and come back. This would mean getting a train Friday around 6pm to get home, going to the wedding (which is in Worcester), and getting a train back into the festival for around 7pm.

I can't make up my mind whether it's worth all the travelling/hassle of getting in and out the festival and essentially missing a day (given I've been a few times previously) - or whether i should give this one up and try for next year. 

If you've already had a long argument with your mom about it, doesn't that indicate that you want to go at all costs? The facts of the matter are that you can please both camps with a little bit of travel. OK, you'll miss a little over 24 hours of the festival, but you'll already have had Wednesday, Thursday, and a good part of Friday, and then you'll come back to having Saturday night, and all of Sunday. Plus you'll have gone to the wedding. You'll be travelling light because all your stuff will already be at the festival. 

That's the way it seems to me anyway, but I don't really know how much you 'need' the festival. 

Have a quiet word with your cousin. If they are cool with you not going to the wedding/get what glasto means to you, then go to Glastonbury, tell your mum you’ll be back for the wedding but don’t leave the festival. Deal with the fallout when you get home ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kal18 said:

I'm going with my flatmate and a bunch of her friends, so I would be with people when I'm there 

You will be able to show off your wristband 

16 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

If you've already had a long argument with your mom about it, doesn't that indicate that you want to go at all costs? The facts of the matter are that you can please both camps with a little bit of travel. OK, you'll miss a little over 24 hours of the festival, but you'll already have had Wednesday, Thursday, and a good part of Friday, and then you'll come back to having Saturday night, and all of Sunday. Plus you'll have gone to the wedding. You'll be travelling light because all your stuff will already be at the festival. 

That's the way it seems to me anyway, but I don't really know how much you 'need' the festival. 

I agree with you Kev - I in the past due to shifts { for many years I had no choice over what I ended up with } have been in a situation where I had 8+ hours one evening and then 8+ hours starting at 10am the very next day so while I did not have the hassle of travelling I did miss a big chunk of Glasto - its just the gamble that volunteers and workers have to take so really ' its not the end of the World ' and that way ' everyone is happy '

Leaving to attend the wedding and returning after is the only acceptable compromise to your parents and the bride and groom to be then so be it. It will be a bit of a hassle but it will also be a different Glasto experience.

Talk it over with both your parents and the bride & groom to find that compromise, if it is indeed needed.........and test your mother's resolve by asking her to pay for your train fare ?

On 12/22/2018 at 7:11 PM, Skelts said:

Have a quiet word with your cousin. If they are cool with you not going to the wedding/get what glasto means to you, then go to Glastonbury, tell your mum you’ll be back for the wedding but don’t leave the festival. Deal with the fallout when you get home ?

Deffo this. They might say you must be daft coming back for the wedding. If they really want you to go then you then face a conundrum in which case as a very last resort I would do an in and out but to be honest I most probably wouldn't !! 

A few years ago I was one of the duty managers at a medium-sized festival which fell the same weekend as my daughter's wedding.  So I managed to juggle my duty shifts and drove home in the early hours of Saturday morning, scrubbed up, did the wedding and post wedding bash, staying very sober.  I then drove back to the fest late Saturday night to do my Sunday morning shift. Everyone was happy, I had a great fest and a lovely wedding.  Things can be done with a bit of planning and goodwill.

If you've been before then you know the hassle of leaving and coming back again and the feeling of missing the Friday evening and a chuck of saturday

- How important is it to you to be at the wedding (and the bide and groom) or is it more important for your parents that you are there ?

I'd speak to the bride and groom and your parents again in a calm manner, and then make up your mind. Do you really want to attend, if you do then absolutely either leave and come back or give back your ticket or if its not important to you then explain to them you are already away and see what their reaction is

If it were me I'd enjoy Wednesday, Thursday and Most of Friday, go to the wedding, come back Saturday evening and enjoy the last 36 hours knowing you've made you Mum happy.. You only get one Mum there'll be loads of Glastonburys to come (ticket gods willing)... Also you will be the coolest person at that wedding!

Worcester's not that far away so why don't you leave on Saturday morning? It must be possible to reduce the amount of time that you are away from the festival. Getting away and back on Friday night / Saturday morning shouldn't be too difficult as all the traffic will have ended then. I'd certainly look at sorting out some sort of car transport instead of a train, it will save you so much time and be a lot less stressful. 

In the end going to the wedding should be your choice and no one else's, your parents don't have the right to force you to go and if you are only there under protest, imagine your face all day - the pissed off look will be easy for everyone to spot:)

Edited by The other Bellboy

I think you should go. I’d go. Family are important and there’s no point pissing them off unnecessarily. Mums (and the rest of the family) are important. If you can keep people happy by missing a bit of the festival, it’s a pretty simple choice. You’ve still got weds, thurs, fri and sunday  to enjoy Glastonbury

First up, i would deffo talk to my cousin and check with them if they mind you missing, its not your Mum's wedding or decision, it's your cousins. If you are close to them then they will know how important Glasto is and not mind you going, if you are not close to them then they probably wont care anyway. If they dont mind then remember to send them a really nice letter to be read as part of the speeches and a nice gift too.  

If you are close to your cousin and they really want you there then as someone above mentioned, Worcester is close enough that if you get up early on Sat morning then you could get there for the wedding ceremony, i would stay for the ceremony and the photos as that is the important bit and the eff off back to the festival before the wedding breakfast (saving your cousin the price of feeding you. I would also be asking my Mum or other family to provide a pick up from Glasto to get you back there asap. 

Good luck 

I would personally find it so hard to just get out of the 'zone' get out and go to a wedding, then come back again. Glasto is a huge event, you wait for months for it, and getting out and back in again would just be such a huge mission. Not to mention the cost...

Family are important, but also it's important for people (i.e your Mum) to understand that your wants and needs are important too! Weddings have got over the top these days - I know someone who went to 12 last year - I really don't think it's fair for people to be constantly expected to hold weekends out for a wedding unless it's something really important to them. None of my cousins came to my wedding and I didn't mind one little bit - made it cheaper for me!

go to Glastonbury

get fucked up enjoy it , don't make the wedding (lets face it this is a strong possibility) 

face the consequences

weddings are shit , it's your cousin, you have to look at t this way you just can't invite them to your wedding  saving money in the future . it is a win win , 

I could understand if it was your sibling getting married, it's a cousin, you won;t even know or see them any more in about 5 years

On 1/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, hannahlmoore said:

I would personally find it so hard to just get out of the 'zone' get out and go to a wedding, then come back again. Glasto is a huge event, you wait for months for it, and getting out and back in again would just be such a huge mission. Not to mention the cost...

Family are important, but also it's important for people (i.e your Mum) to understand that your wants and needs are important too! Weddings have got over the top these days - I know someone who went to 12 last year - I really don't think it's fair for people to be constantly expected to hold weekends out for a wedding unless it's something really important to them. None of my cousins came to my wedding and I didn't mind one little bit - made it cheaper for me!

A vicar perchance.??

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...