Colours of Ostrava 2019

popcornmaster

23 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Does anyone know if they'll sell day tickets at some point? Seems like they did in 2015 at least. Has there been a move since then, does that rule it out?

Yes, they will sell day tickets. It usually goes on sale in April/May, the price was 1990 Kč (about 80 €) last year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mln said:

They've just announced Years&Years. I'm pretty disappointed, but I can understand this booking. Do you guys think they will be headliners?

A few days ago one of the newspapers reported that the last headliner should be announced by the end of March.

So yeah, I guess Years & Years are the last headliner.

9 minutes ago, Newjem said:

A few days ago one of the newspapers reported that the last headliner should be announced by the end of March.

So yeah, I guess Years & Years are the last headliner.

Any chance they had other band in mind? :D Still hoping for some 2-3 bigger names. I'm missing some indie/alt rock bands.

4 minutes ago, mln said:

Any chance they had other band in mind? :D Still hoping for some 2-3 bigger names. I'm missing some indie/alt rock bands.

I don't think so. They are listed above Rosalía, ZAZ or MØ on the website but you can hope for a few more days ? Lots of small and medium sized names are still to come...

1 minute ago, Newjem said:

I don't think so. They are listed above Rosalía, ZAZ or MØ on the website but you can hope for a few more days ? Lots of small and medium sized names are still to come...

Yeah, I can see that...
How popular are Foals in your country? I was kinda hoping for them, but I don't know if they're not too big to not headline.

5 minutes ago, mln said:

Yeah, I can see that...
How popular are Foals in your country? I was kinda hoping for them, but I don't know if they're not too big to not headline.

It's hard to say. They headlined Metronome festival in Prague last time they played over here, but it was the 1st year of the festival and not many tickets were sold (less than 10k if I remember correctly).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Newjem said:

It's hard to say. They headlined Metronome festival in Prague last time they played over here, but it was the 1st year of the festival and not many tickets were sold (less than 10k if I remember correctly).

Thanks!
Last question: do you, as a local, have any rumours regarding next artists?

Hey @Newjem

Sorry, slightly off-topic. After Colours, I'm looking at spending some time around the Czech Republic. 

I've noticed that finding hotels in the smaller towns is a bit of a pain even though the towns seem large enough. All the big hotel aggregate sites seem to have very little choice or say that they're sold out. Is that because Czech hotels sell out really early, there are far fewer hotels than I'd expect in those size towns or there's a better place to find Czech hotels?

I know for Ostrava I've found the directory on the Colours page useful as it identifies loads of places that aren't on Booking.com etc and I've booked my accommodation directly with hotels but not having much luck elsewhere. Currently, I'm considering Národní park Šumava/Lipno/Třeboňsko Protected Landscape Area, somewhere peaceful and near Český Krumlov and Ceske Budejovice, as I'm looking to kayak down the Vltava. 

If you could point me in the right direction or even provide any recommendations of interesting countryside regions that would be massively helpful. No worries if not :) 

5 hours ago, popcornmaster said:

Hey @Newjem

Sorry, slightly off-topic. After Colours, I'm looking at spending some time around the Czech Republic. 

I've noticed that finding hotels in the smaller towns is a bit of a pain even though the towns seem large enough. All the big hotel aggregate sites seem to have very little choice or say that they're sold out. Is that because Czech hotels sell out really early, there are far fewer hotels than I'd expect in those size towns or there's a better place to find Czech hotels?

I know for Ostrava I've found the directory on the Colours page useful as it identifies loads of places that aren't on Booking.com etc and I've booked my accommodation directly with hotels but not having much luck elsewhere. Currently, I'm considering Národní park Šumava/Lipno/Třeboňsko Protected Landscape Area, somewhere peaceful and near Český Krumlov and Ceske Budejovice, as I'm looking to kayak down the Vltava. 

If you could point me in the right direction or even provide any recommendations of interesting countryside regions that would be massively helpful. No worries if not :) 

It's a combination of all the things you mentioned. Most of Czechs always try to save money as much as possible, they prefer one day trips or staying in camps/cottages/guesthouses. Foreigners mostly stay in big cities (especially in Prague), so there is no need to have that many hotels in the smaller towns. Because the southern part of the country is really popular, most of the accommodation facilities sell out early. I don't think there's a better option than booking.com but try this one. Maybe try to contact some hotels directly (despite the fact they are sold out on booking.com), sometimes it works.

You will most likely find accommodation in Český Krumlov, České Budějovice, Třeboň or Jindřichův Hradec. Towns around Lipno like Frymburk, Lipno nad Vltavou and Vyšší Brod offer mainly campsites, but there's a few hotels/guesthouses as well. NP Šumava is probably way too far, still you can check out Železná Ruda, Kašperské Hory, Srní, Kvilda, Vimperk or Volary.

There's a lot of places to visit in NP Šumava – Glacier lakes, Boubínský prales, Poledník, Vydra river or Kašperk castle (more tips for trips here). The Lipno Treetop Walkway is also amazing and I believe you already checked what Český Krumlov or Třeboň looks like.

as I'm looking to kayak down the Vltava.

This link could be useful.

Kayaking down the Vltava between Vyšší Brod and České Budějovice is really popular, so you'll certainly meet many many friendly Czechs. It actually turns into one big party at weekends (maybe a little bit overcrowded imo). If you’re looking for more peaceful ride, do it on weekdays.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 12:57 AM, Newjem said:

It's a combination of all the things you mentioned. Most of Czechs always try to save money as much as possible, they prefer one day trips or staying in camps/cottages/guesthouses. Foreigners mostly stay in big cities (especially in Prague), so there is no need to have that many hotels in the smaller towns. Because the southern part of the country is really popular, most of the accommodation facilities sell out early. I don't think there's a better option than booking.com but try this one. Maybe try to contact some hotels directly (despite the fact they are sold out on booking.com), sometimes it works.

You will most likely find accommodation in Český Krumlov, České Budějovice, Třeboň or Jindřichův Hradec. Towns around Lipno like Frymburk, Lipno nad Vltavou and Vyšší Brod offer mainly campsites, but there's a few hotels/guesthouses as well. NP Šumava is probably way too far, still you can check out Železná Ruda, Kašperské Hory, Srní, Kvilda, Vimperk or Volary.

There's a lot of places to visit in NP Šumava – Glacier lakes, Boubínský prales, Poledník, Vydra river or Kašperk castle (more tips for trips here). The Lipno Treetop Walkway is also amazing and I believe you already checked what Český Krumlov or Třeboň looks like.

This link could be useful.

Kayaking down the Vltava between Vyšší Brod and České Budějovice is really popular, so you'll certainly meet many many friendly Czechs. It actually turns into one big party at weekends (maybe a little bit overcrowded imo). If you’re looking for more peaceful ride, do it on weekdays.

Cheers for all this :) Massively helpful. I'll digest it all and do more research. 

Thanks for the heads up about how busy the river gets at the weekend. Might skew the trip so that I'm mainly there in the week and just one day around the party side. 

• 1 month later...

60311902_10157301881804901_3232903848855

Looks like it's all for this year. Very weak, unbalanced line-up. Headliners for Thursday and Friday are a complete mistake. Also, Ostrava was always known for strong second line and this year? Names like Krystof, Etienne de Crecy, Nicola Cruz or Mariza are definitely not enough to be in the second line for such a festival.