Colours of Ostrava 2019

popcornmaster

I've picked up tickets almost solely to see The Cure. Mogwai are a nice little addition but I saw them there about 8 or so years ago. 

Anyone been in the last few years? Anyone going this year? I went years ago and wonder how it compares these days? Still got treacherous large-rocky paths? Beer still dirt cheap? Bramborak still everywhere?

Yeah, basically it stayed the same since it moved to the industrial area, there are small improvements every year as the site gets reconstructed slowly with additional new nice buildings built there. I think that changed the gravel for finer one two years ago but it's still not very comfortable for concerts.  Downside is the that crowds are quite huge nowadays as it gains popularity. Beer is still good and cheap and there are a lot of healthier food options of course.

• Upvote 1

I was there in 2017 and I can definitely recommend it! Great atmosphere and people, plenty of f&b facilities, cheap and good beer (Radegast). The undercard is pretty strong each year and we already have 2 strong headliners for 2019. Looking forward for next announcements as I've already bought my tickets.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 9:20 AM, mln said:

I was there in 2017 and I can definitely recommend it! Great atmosphere and people, plenty of f&b facilities, cheap and good beer (Radegast). The undercard is pretty strong each year and we already have 2 strong headliners for 2019. Looking forward for next announcements as I've already bought my tickets.

On 12/21/2018 at 9:08 AM, muflon said:

Yeah, basically it stayed the same since it moved to the industrial area, there are small improvements every year as the site gets reconstructed slowly with additional new nice buildings built there. I think that changed the gravel for finer one two years ago but it's still not very comfortable for concerts.  Downside is the that crowds are quite huge nowadays as it gains popularity. Beer is still good and cheap and there are a lot of healthier food options of course.

Cheers!

Glad to hear that the beer is still good there and they've started to improve areas. The café on top of the tower looks interesting, it wasn't there in my time. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 2:51 PM, nysmaw said:

Bild könnte enthalten: Text

Got to say I'm a little disappointed so far. Although, thinking rationally, it's still good value to just see The Cure.

Are there any Czech-based rumour sites/forums equivalent to efest? Any word on big names left to be announced? Is it fair to assume that The Cure & Florence are headliners and we should expect one more?

13 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

Got to say I'm a little disappointed so far. Although, thinking rationally, it's still good value to just see The Cure.

Are there any Czech-based rumour sites/forums equivalent to efest? Any word on big names left to be announced? Is it fair to assume that The Cure & Florence are headliners and we should expect one more?

Same here, I was hoping that the undercard will be much stronger. As for headliners, ZAZ was headlining in 2014 (she was no. 3 on the poster), so it's safe to assume she's headlining this year too. I'm afraid we won't get any big names like The Cure or Florence. Still hoping for some quality 'medium-size' names.

28 minutes ago, popcornmaster said:

I think there are some, but I don't know them personally.

11 minutes ago, mln said:

Same here, I was hoping that the undercard will be much stronger. As for headliners, ZAZ was headlining in 2014 (she was no. 3 on the poster), so it's safe to assume she's headlining this year too. I'm afraid we won't get any big names like The Cure or Florence. Still hoping for some quality 'medium-size' names.

Judging by the way they announced their headliners in the previous years, there's possibly one or two big names to come some time in spring.

The festival itself is known mainly for its strong undercard in terms of world, jazz or electronic music with acts from literally every country around the world. So people go their either based on that, or the headliners, or the fact that there's not really much competition between festivals in the Czech Republic or Slovakia. They all are small or medium-sized with a couple of big names and some random undercard.

17 minutes ago, nysmaw said:

I think there are some, but I don't know them personally.

Judging by the way they announced their headliners in the previous years, there's possibly one or two big names to come some time in spring.

The festival itself is known mainly for its strong undercard in terms of world, jazz or electronic music with acts from literally every country around the world. So people go their either based on that, or the headliners, or the fact that there's not really much competition between festivals in the Czech Republic or Slovakia. They all are small or medium-sized with a couple of big names and some random undercard.

Yeah, the diversity is great as always, but I'm hoping for 1 or 2 indie/rock/alternative names, like Foals or The National. I was also thinking about Chic and Nile Rodgers as they are touring in Europe in July. Do you think they would fit the festival? I think they are too expensive though.

1 minute ago, mln said:

Yeah, the diversity is great as always, but I'm hoping for 1 or 2 indie/rock/alternative names, like Foals or The National. I was also thinking about Chic and Nile Rodgers as they are touring in Europe in July. Do you think they would fit the festival? I think they are too expensive though.

The headliners sometimes seem quite random, not as though there is one oldie, one indie, one EDM and one the kids like - they just get the best they can get really.

10 minutes ago, mln said:

At least one bigger name will be announced. Foals are possible, not sure about The National considering they've already got 3 names from 2014 line-up. I guess it would be too repetitive.

There's 1 or 2 'legendary' acts every year (Grace Jones in 2018, Midnight Oil in 2017 for example), so Chic and Nile Rodgers would fit pretty well but they've never played in the Czech Republic, so I have no idea about their popularity over here.

2 minutes ago, Newjem said:

At least one bigger name will be announced. Foals are possible, not sure about The National considering they've already got 3 names from 2014 line-up. I guess it would be too repetitive.

There's 1 or 2 'legendary' acts every year (Grace Jones in 2018, Midnight Oil in 2017 for example), so Chic and Nile Rodgers would fit pretty well but they've never played in the Czech Republic, so I have no idea about their popularity over here.

I think The Cure are the 'legendary' band for this year :) You sure about this one bigger name or you're just guessing? Hope you're right!

19 minutes ago, Newjem said:

The Cure and ZAZ are both playing on Saturday. That means we will get 1 or 2 bigger names for sure.

That's great info! Where can you check the exact dates for artists? I can't see it anywhere on their website.

4 minutes ago, Newjem said:

That's really great, it definitely means there will be at least one big name.
Btw. I can't understand why there are no dates on the website, it would be much easier to 'organise' everything.

So, what are your guesses regarding big (or 'bigger') names? Foals, The Roots, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Mumfords?

17 minutes ago, mln said:

That's really great, it definitely means there will be at least one big name.
Btw. I can't understand why there are no dates on the website, it would be much easier to 'organise' everything.

So, what are your guesses regarding big (or 'bigger') names? Foals, The Roots, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Mumfords?

It could really be anything at all. Kylie, Pink, Noel Gallagher (don't know their exact dates, just throwing names right now).

Ooo nice to see a bit of activity on this board :)

Glad to hear that there's a set date for The Cure. I searched their tour dates but they conservatively say all 3 days (looking at the space between gigs though I gleaned that they wouldn't be playing the first night at the very least). 

Foals would be a very pleasant addition. They're pretty much everywhere this summer so I would have assumed that they'd have already announced it. 

Any pointers on who to check out in terms of the undercard? I rate Jazz & Electronic and already know Olafur, Mogwai & Sons of Kemet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...