The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

Not that I'm taking what Nick Grimshaw says as gospel, but a situation like the following would fit all the info we've had...

- Paul McCartney booked to headline (as Neil heard from several reliable sources)

- Paul McCartney pulls out (as the lady on Twitter said)

- Arctic Monkeys are approached by Glasto to replace him (as heard by Neil)

- Arctic Monkeys say no (they seem to be doing nothing this Summer and there was even a rumour that they scrapped the June dates they had planned, which is an obvious explanation as to why they'd say no)

- (Potentially other artists approached)

- Glastonbury approach a "surprising solo artist who I wouldn't be surprised if they say no" (or words to that effect, as the lady on Twitter said)

- Said solo artist then says no

- The Strokes are eventually approached and say yes (as Nick Grimshaw heard)

- The three headliners end up being Stormzy, The Strokes and The Cure (as a user on here heard)

Now, a lot of people on here don't think The Strokes would headline Glasto, but if Glasto do run out of options they're at the very least a safe last option. If it gets to a point where their only alternative is to bump up a sub then they may as well book them even if they're not an ideal headliner (especially alongside Stormzy and The Cure). The Strokes subbed by Liam Gallagher is a better result than Liam Gallagher subbed by some replacement sub.

The fact they approached this "surprising solo artist" potentially also suggests they may have been running low on options, as you'd expect they'd go to all the obvious options (like Arctic Monkeys) first.

And finally, haven't The Strokes been at weirdly short odds to headline since the beginning, even before they were known to be active? Now, obviously the bookies themselves won't know anything, but that could have been due to some people who did know putting some money on them. However, this wouldn't fit in with the above timeline of Arctic Monkeys and the solo artist being approached before them, so probably best off being ignored.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Not that I'm taking what Nick Grimshaw says as gospel, but a situation like the following would fit all the info we've had...

- Paul McCartney booked to headline (as Neil heard from several reliable sources)

- Paul McCartney pulls out (as the lady on Twitter said)

- Arctic Monkeys are approached by Glasto to replace him (as heard by Neil)

- Arctic Monkeys say no (they seem to be doing nothing this Summer and there was even a rumour that they scrapped the June dates they had planned, which is an obvious explanation as to why they'd say no)

- Glastonbury approach a "surprising solo artist who I wouldn't be surprised if they say no" (or words to that effect, as the lady on Twitter said)

- Said solo artist then says no

- The Strokes are eventually approached and say yes (as Nick Grimshaw heard)

- The three headliners end up being Stormzy, The Strokes and The Cure (as a user on here heard)

Now, a lot of people on here don't think The Strokes would headline Glasto, but if Glasto do run out of options they're at the very least a safe last option. If it gets to a point where their only alternative is to bump up a sub then they may as well book them even if they're not an ideal headliner (especially alongside Stormzy and The Cure). The Strokes subbed by Liam Gallagher is a better result than Liam Gallagher subbed by some replacement sub.

The fact they approached this "surprising solo artist" potentially also suggests they may have been running low on options, as you'd expect they'd go to all the obvious options (like Arctic Monkeys) first.

And finally, haven't The Strokes been at weirdly short odds to headline since the beginning, even before they were known to be active? Now, obviously the bookies themselves won't know anything, but that could have been due to some people who did know putting some money on them. However, this wouldn't fit in with the above timeline of Arctic Monkeys and the solo artist being approached before them, so probably best off being ignored.

F56B2FB0-79BF-4F53-A712-D03F08042179.jpeg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, august1 said:

not much just that he's heard a rumour that their playing and laughed it off as an unreliable source

given the glasto/bbc relationship would a main dj leak info like this though?!

He’s well connected outside of the beeb and at this stage I doubt many, if anyone knows at the BBC who’s headlining Glastonbury. 

I would say he’s heard it from someone he knows and is just repeating the info just like one of us would. 

If someone at the BBC had told him, it would be 100% true and he wouldn’t have said it as he would have got a slap on the wrist.

Another (lesser) thing.

@Mezhyp1 was told The Strokes were headlining Latitude. @eFestivals heard the Latitude headliners are Snow Patrol, Lana Del Rey and George Ezra. Chance that The Strokes may have pulled out due to being offered something else (read: Glastonbury) instead? I dunno if Glasto would do this or just let them play Latitude as well, but with The Strokes being a weak-ish headliner I could see them only wanting them on an exclusive.

24 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Another (lesser) thing.

@Mezhyp1 was told The Strokes were headlining Latitude. @eFestivals heard the Latitude headliners are Snow Patrol, Lana Del Rey and George Ezra. Chance that The Strokes may have pulled out due to being offered something else (read: Glastonbury) instead? I dunno if Glasto would do this or just let them play Latitude as well, but with The Strokes being a weak-ish headliner I could see them only wanting them on an exclusive.

What I was told about The Strokes wouldn't make it impossible they were at both actually. It seemed they were making themselves fairly available (which definitely hasn't historically been the case). 

But should make it clear I've absolutely no idea if they're playing Glastonbury 

Edited by Mezhyp1

5 minutes ago, mufcok said:

The Strokes stepping in for Macca I could more than handle, I'd absolutely love to see them at Glastonbury. Both playing is too much to comprehend 

Tbf if Macca has pulled out I think it's quite likely he'd just play 2020 instead so it probably wouldn't be a disaster for the people hoping to see Macca at Glasto.

Just now, dentalplan said:

Yes everyone else would hate it if u went.

Right, I’ll cancel the ticket when I can. Thanks for keeping me informed Dental. Social acceptance from eFests peers outweighs my enjoyment of those headliners and if not going means people would be proud, who am I to say no. 

Just now, RarerThanDandyB said:

Right, I’ll cancel the ticket when I can. Thanks for keeping me informed Dental. Social acceptance from eFests peers outweighs my enjoyment of those headliners and if not going means people would be proud, who am I to say no. 

Don’t go that way

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It would be if you didn’t get a ticket next year.

They oughta start giving priority to the people with highest rep counts on E-Festivals.