The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

2 minutes ago, Ollie 1995 said:

So what's the latest? Are people thinking pyramid sub instead of headlining?

For some reason the idea of them even playing on the pyramid stage just doesn't seem right to me - I don't know why I just can't imagine it 

Only the people with unrealistic expectations of Glastonbury lineups.

The Strokes are a headline act. They'll either headline the Pyramid or not play.

Plus half the info we have on them specifically says they're headlining.

3 minutes ago, Ollie 1995 said:

For some reason the idea of them even playing on the pyramid stage just doesn't seem right to me - I don't know why I just can't imagine it 

Don't think anyone really knows at this point, they seem as likely an option as anyone after the McCartney news though

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ollie 1995 said:

Last time I saw them live was at Oxegen 2006, when they were a much bigger deal than they are now, and they didn't even headline the main stage then (subbed The Who IIRC).  Can't get my head around them being Pyramid headliners in 2019

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Only the people with unrealistic expectations of Glastonbury lineups.

The Strokes are a headline act. They'll either headline the Pyramid or not play.

Plus half the info we have on them specifically says they're headlining.

Makes sense I guess. I'm all for them headlining - one of my favourite bands and Is This It one of my favourite albums. I was thinking they're not in the public spotlight that much at the moment/not "the flavour" so to speak. Fair play if they're headlining though - will be a great evening.

8 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Don't think anyone really knows at this point, they seem as likely an option as anyone after the McCartney news though

Already turning into a rollercoaster all of this. Makes for a good read every morning though hahaha. Must admit though - I'm quite pleased that I won't have to feel guilty about not going to see McCartney (Makes me sound very spoilt)

3 minutes ago, Username taken said:

Last time I saw them live was at Oxegen 2006, when they were a much bigger deal than they are now, and they didn't even headline the main stage then (subbed The Who IIRC).  Can't get my head around them being Pyramid headliners in 2019

Bet that was a great show. I saw them in 2011 after they'd released Angles (which i wasn't really a fan of aside from 2 or 3 tunes). Still played a lot of the early stuff though which I was happy about.

I think there's arguments for both sides in regards to them headlining. I'm personally quite surprised they'd get a headline slot after being "away" for a while and not being in great form the last few years (my opinion). To me they don't seem like the BBC broadcast "show" that a glasto headliner usually is i.e. foo's, ed sheeran, adele, coldplay etc etc 

4 minutes ago, Username taken said:

Thing is, back then they were promoting new material so had reason to play festivals. Now they have no reason to play festivals other than for a quick payday (which is why none of us expected them to even play Glasto). They have no reason to accept anything but headline now, whereas in 2006 they needed to play festivals to promote their new stuff.

Also back in 2006 I assume they weren't a rare live proposition. Nowadays they are, they appear every few Summers to do a couple of shows, and Glasto will probably be the only chance to catch The Strokes in the UK for a few years, so they can probably score higher festival slots because of that. If you add on the 4 years it's been since their last show here (BST 2015) that's like an 8 year period where the only UK Strokes show is Glasto 19.

Finally, having barely been around since like 2006 there's a built up demand of people who have never got to see them. Even since their last show here in 2015 there'll be 4 years' worth of teenagers who've got into them and not yet had the chance to see them live.

It's like LCD Soundsystem disappearing as an average sized band then returning a few years later as Coachella headliners and Other Stage headliners at Glasto.

If they are also at Latitude this year as has been rumoured then that slightly alters some of my points, but it mostly still stands.

Bet that was a great show. I saw them in 2011 after they'd released Angles (which i wasn't really a fan of aside from 2 or 3 tunes). Still played a lot of the early stuff though which I was happy about.

I think there's arguments for both sides in regards to them headlining. I'm personally quite surprised they'd get a headline slot after being "away" for a while and not being in great form the last few years (my opinion). To me they don't seem like the BBC broadcast "show" that a glasto headliner usually is i.e. foo's, ed sheeran, adele, coldplay etc etc 

Fwiw I agree on a lot of the points raised against them headlining (as I did with The Cure). But if those points put Glasto off booking them to headline, I think that means they end up not being booked, not that they end up being booked in a lower slot.

In normal circumstances I certainly wouldn't be expecting them to be booked, but as a replacement for Macca after he's pulled out? Seems entirely plausible to me. As I've said before, they're a safe option with enough well known tunes who'll satisfy the "guitar music only" brigade, even if they're on the small side.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Fwiw I agree on a lot of the points raised against them headlining (as I did with The Cure). But if those points put Glasto off booking them to headline, I think that means they end up not being booked, not that they end up being booked in a lower slot.

In normal circumstances I certainly wouldn't be expecting them to be booked, but as a replacement for Macca after he's pulled out? Seems entirely plausible to me. As I've said before, they're a safe option with enough well known tunes who'll satisfy the "guitar music only" brigade, even if they're on the small side.

Yeah true - makes sense as a safe option to replace Macca.

Would be interesting to see what kind of crowd they pull if something a bit more "in" is on the Other stage - what do you reckon?

Pray that this Julien turns up:

Edit: To be fair his voice sounds spot on here

Edited by Ollie 1995

Would be interesting to see what kind of crowd they pull if something a bit more "in" is on the Other stage - what do you reckon?

Edit: To be fair his voice sounds spot on here

Based on the stuff we'd heard before I reckon it'll be Chems or The Streets up against them (unless it's Chems against Stormzy and they were trying to book someone more recent to go up against Macca - they'd offered Wolf Alice one of the nights). Against Chems I guess they may draw a small-ish crowd, but I doubt they'll get a notably tiny one regardless of who they're up against.

4 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

It's not inconceivable that they were initially booked to sub Macca (something they may have been up for as a one off) but Macxit has lead to the festival considering bumping them up.

It is if you consider that they’ve no reason to accept a sub slot. As said a few hundred times. :P

11 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It’s not even on the small side though, it’s really what people should come to expect.

Every year has two or three guitar bands headlining, without considering the legends slot that has grown over the past few into the ‘fourth headline slot’. Now this year we’ve got a major pop star in the legend slot, a rapper headlining, two TBA rock bands as the others isn’t gammony or Peak Lonsdale or whatever; it’s what people have been attending all along.

4 minutes ago, Ollie 1995 said:

To be fair his voice sounds spot on here

Like many before him, Julian's stage presence (and live voice tbf) diminished in line with increased sobriety. He sounded spot on at the Governors Ball more recently though. (2017 I think?)

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

It’s not even on the small side though, it’s really what people should come to expect.

Every year has two or three guitar bands headlining, without considering the legends slot that has grown over the past few into the ‘fourth headline slot’. Now this year we’ve got a major pop star in the legend slot, a rapper headlining, two TBA rock bands as the others isn’t gammony or Peak Lonsdale or whatever; it’s what people have been attending all along.

Well yeah I just mean they're pretty small compared to the mega headliners Glasto have been booking for the last few years and some people have seemingly come to expect every year.

They're certainly big enough to headline and as big as lots of other acts who've headlined in the past (and are headlining in 2019, too).

1 minute ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Based on the stuff we'd heard before I reckon it'll be Chems or The Streets up against them (unless it's Chems against Stormzy and they were trying to book someone more recent to go up against Macca - they'd offered Wolf Alice one of the nights). Against Chems I guess they may draw a small-ish crowd, but I doubt they'll get a notably tiny one regardless of who they're up against.

The Strokes vs Streets is a Strokes win for me all day. Big fan of The Streets but seen videos of them live and it just doesn't look like much fun. 

Reckon Stormzy would struggle to get a huge crowd against Chems but that's just my opinion (was surprised he got a headline slot in the first place but each to their own)