The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

2 minutes ago, forjustoneday said:

Like many before him, Julian's stage presence (and live voice tbf) diminished in line with increased sobriety. He sounded spot on at the Governors Ball more recently though. (2017 I think?)

Reminds me a lot of Liam Gallagher - sounded spot on in 1995. They both have singing styles which must absolutely knacker your voice. And with lager and cigarettes added into the equation it's destined to go tits up really 

5 minutes ago, forjustoneday said:

Like many before him, Julian's stage presence (and live voice tbf) diminished in line with increased sobriety. He sounded spot on at the Governors Ball more recently though. (2017 I think?)

*Will have a look at that gig. 

I remember he struggled a bit with Under Cover of Darkness in 2011 (but the vocals on that song are a nightmare whoever you are)

3 minutes ago, Ollie 1995 said:

The Strokes vs Streets is a Strokes win for me all day. Big fan of The Streets but seen videos of them live and it just doesn't look like much fun. 

Reckon Stormzy would struggle to get a huge crowd against Chems but that's just my opinion (was surprised he got a headline slot in the first place but each to their own)

The Streets are great craic live. 

9 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Well yeah I just mean they're pretty small compared to the mega headliners Glasto have been booking for the last few years and some people have seemingly come to expect every year.

They're certainly big enough to headline and as big as lots of other acts who've headlined in the past (and are headlining in 2019, too).

Oh right I thought you meant the number of ‘guitar music only’ people were on the small side. My bad.

Was a point worth making though; Stormzy, The Cure (who will have their spotlight taken by Kylie) and another pop singer seems like it’d be a very odd set of names for Glasto.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Oh right I thought you meant the number of ‘guitar music only’ people were on the small side. My bad.

Was a point worth making though; Stormzy, The Cure (who will have their spotlight taken by Kylie) and another pop singer seems like it’d be a very odd set of names for Glasto.

Ah I see, was confused when you started talking about the genres of headliners but I just thought you were having a random rabble moment.

1 minute ago, forjustoneday said:

I always wonder about bands like the Strokes, who must have played some songs hundreds of times over. Does it still give them a buzz or is it as mundane as anything for them? I guess it depends on the crowd.

Mundane. They make no secret about it.

https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-strokes-61-1238399

36 minutes ago, forjustoneday said:

I always wonder about bands like the Strokes, who must have played some songs hundreds of times over. Does it still give them a buzz or is it as mundane as anything for them? I guess it depends on the crowd.

They while away the time on stage thinking about what they'll do when the cheque clears.

4 hours ago, zico martin said:

What effect does their APE appearance have on the chance of them coming to our place then?

Remains to be seen as APE and Glastonbury haven’t been on in the same year yet, but I really can’t see them headlining both as all of APE’s other headliners are a noticeable step down from Glastonbury’s usual headliners. Maybe they’ll be there in a lower slot, but tbh I think it’s more likely they won’t be there at all.

• 1 month later...

now that they're playing london in may that means that Spain festival wasn't the start of the tour which could surely mean that the gap between may and July would be filled in with some dates in June so Glastonbury could still be a possibility? even if its an other stage headline slot.

3 minutes ago, Krp said:

now that they're playing london in may that means that Spain festival wasn't the start of the tour which could surely mean that the gap between may and July would be filled in with some dates in June so Glastonbury could still be a possibility? even if its an other stage headline slot.

They’re already off back to America between May and July. They’ve nothing to promote so no need to stick around unless festivals stump up the asking price.

Just now, dentalplan said:

They’re already off back to America between May and July. They’ve nothing to promote so no need to stick around unless festivals stump up the asking price.

if they really are planning a "global comeback" id have hoped for more than just one UK date

10 minutes ago, Krp said:

if they really are planning a "global comeback" id have hoped for more than just one UK date

I guess it probably won't really be a 'global comeback' and that was just marketing hype. Either that or this is the very start of it and the real touring begins next year, and this is just a bit of a scattered run of shows to test some waters. The latter would make sense because they should see something of a shot in the arm when the MMITB docuseries is released, but seeing as it's The Strokes that might be a bit optimistic.