The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

1 hour ago, zico martin said:

See I really don't. I can see Stormzy getting a really decent crowd, assuming the new album is no worse than the first obvs

Stormzy’s crowd won’t be noticeably small, not at the start anyway. A lot of people will go to see what the fuss is about, some will be fans and others just go to the Pyramid regardless of who’s on. How big the crowd is towards the end of the set will be down to the man himself.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Stormzy’s crowd won’t be noticeably small, not at the start anyway. A lot of people will go to see what the fuss is about, some will be fans and others just go to the Pyramid regardless of who’s on. How big the crowd is towards the end of the set will be down to the man himself.

I think it'll go flat crowd wise massively quite soon in, as a general attendee isn't not he's not suitable but he's just not big enough and that stage could swallow him up. Rudimental with the similar energy were decent on Other but the Pyramid slot drowned them. Subbing Pyramid or headlining Other stage....it would still have been a big booking. This probably lines him up for Reading next year though.

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I waited once for a Strokes special guest slot that subsequently turned out to be Biffy c**ting Clyro so I'll be fucked if I do it again.

To be fair, it was pretty much an open secret that it was going to be Biffy by that point.

Don't know if it was the same at other locations, but there was even posters up by Gate A on the way in advertising it..

I missed Thom Yorke the day before. was in the John Peel Tent for Black Keys. was shattered when I found out. I had planned to meet someone for The Strokes set, so it was only on my walk up there seeing them pass out these mini flags or flyers with 'Buffy Clyro' on them that I realized... but I still had to go to meet up briefly before exiting early on...

The Strokes rumour thing was the greatest diversion ever devised if it indeed was something GF decided to do. I was even told by a steward that "someone from the Strokes" was the special guest at the Bimble Inn on the sunday.  

5 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

So in retrospect it seems to have been obvious to most people....but on the day itself I'd known about Thom Yorke in advance but I was genuinely oblivious to the impending arrival of a shirtless guy screaming about his jaggy snake.

Yup, knew about in ages before hand but didn't go due to the crush for the similar secrets acts on there before hand and decided to see something different.

19 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Surprise Biffy is the worst kind of Biffy 

I’ve met 2 of the Biffs. Just need the long haired twin one for the set. The singer guy I spoke to over a beer once and he seems a really nice fella. The drumming one I’ve just seen in Tesco ( twice ). 

Should have started a new thread for this really.... :-)

I like the Strokes, Biffy not so much. Taps on for me.

19 minutes ago, Comfy Bean said:

I’ve met 2 of the Biffs. Just need the long haired twin one for the set. The singer guy I spoke to over a beer once and he seems a really nice fella. The drumming one I’ve just seen in Tesco ( twice ). 

Should have started a new thread for this really.... ?

I sat next to Peanut from the Kaiser Chiefs in the Park last year. 

I have nothing further to add.

The Strokes headlining would be a real turn of events ?

After their Reading set years ago I have no desire to see them again but if they subbed Macca I'd give them another go to make amends. 

Controversially I'd be quite happy if they'd replaced him though, as it would remove any possibility of a Macca/Chem Bros clash. 

3 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Should have started a new thread for this really.... ?

I'm sure they're nice blokes but their music is brutal 

On 1/12/2019 at 11:09 AM, HeyPorter said:

First time I seen them in ‘06 I thought they great then they bombed at Reading, one band I still won’t miss for anyone despite knowing what they’re like live though. Those songs. 

Love seeing Voidz pop up on these Euro bills but why hasn’t AHJ got his band on the road too? Got me high hopes on a hat-trick on the lineup.

They were here in Melbourne a few months back and absolutely killed it - he knows what he's doing as a frontman! Would love to see them at GF.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:07 AM, Hugh Jass said:

I sat next to Peanut from the Kaiser Chiefs in the Park last year. 

I have nothing further to add.

I walked past Andy Bell from Ride and Lauren Laverne in quick succession in The Park last year.

I too have nothing further to add.