The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

Subbing for Macca would be a good spot for them tbf. I think theyve fell off a fair bit since the 00s, earlys 10s and if they have a new album out they might be willing to take a hit on the fees to actually push themselves into as many prime slits as they can. 

That slot would be guaranteed to be packed to the rafters I reckon, theyd probably get a good bounce of it for album sales as well plus its not a bad slot, you likely have Liam Gallagher subbing to Stormzy and who knows for The Cure bur I think they could hack a sub headliner slit to Paul McCartney. 

14 minutes ago, chatty said:

Subbing for Macca would be a good spot for them tbf. I think theyve fell off a fair bit since the 00s, earlys 10s and if they have a new album out they might be willing to take a hit on the fees to actually push themselves into as many prime slits as they can. 

That slot would be guaranteed to be packed to the rafters I reckon, theyd probably get a good bounce of it for album sales as well plus its not a bad slot, you likely have Liam Gallagher subbing to Stormzy and who knows for The Cure bur I think they could hack a sub headliner slit to Paul McCartney. 

It seems highly unlikely they'll have an album in the works seeing as both Julian and Albert have been releasing albums/touring since last year (no idea about the rest of them) and still are for a while yet.

As you allude to, a new album would probably make them more likely to accept worse slots/paydays as they'd have new material to promote. As they're unlikely to have new material, they're even less likely to take a sub slot than they would have been in, say, 2011, as the only reason they seem to start the band up again these days is to pick up a few paydays headlining festivals. There's absolutely nothing in it for them to sub Glasto without new material (this part isn't aimed at you, it's a more general point).

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

It seems highly unlikely they'll have an album in the works seeing as both Julian and Albert have been releasing albums/touring since last year (no idea about the rest of them) and still are for a while yet.

As you allude to, a new album would probably make them more likely to accept worse slots/paydays as they'd have new material to promote. As they're unlikely to have new material, they're even less likely to take a sub slot than they would have been in, say, 2011, as the only reason they seem to start the band up again these days is to pick up a few paydays headlining festivals. There's absolutely nothing in it for them to sub Glasto without new material (this part isn't aimed at you, it's a more general point).

Ah, Id read somewehere there was a good chance they were releasing something this year. No surprise if not though, Im sure I read sometbing about fantasy albums that are never to be every few days now. 

2 hours ago, forjustoneday said:

Yep.

They're not very 'interactive' on stage but still got a great presence and some crackers to bounce around to. 

First time I seen them in ‘06 I thought they great then they bombed at Reading, one band I still won’t miss for anyone despite knowing what they’re like live though. Those songs. 

Love seeing Voidz pop up on these Euro bills but why hasn’t AHJ got his band on the road too? Got me high hopes on a hat-trick on the lineup.

16 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I've always thought that it's exceedingly unlikely that anything the BBC might learn of Glasto's line-ups thru their relationship gets channelled down to the BBC DJs, particularly this early.

I think it's much more likely the DJ would hear stuff from other places. They're likely to have waaaay more gossipy contact with music biz PRs and music industry execs or perhaps just junior players who are their music biz mates than they would do with TV program schedulers and producers.

The fact Grim Nickshaw has mentioned it twice is suggesting to me that Nick thinks it's definitely true, because he knows what that source is involved with.

The problem, tho, is that even exceedingly well-placed sources have it wrong sometimes. If I worked by the placing of my sources for Macca and The Cure it would be impossible for them to be wrong - and yet my time sat here has made me realise that I can never ever trust what I'm told is actually accurate.

Still, good enough for me to add The Strokes as a rumour as it's being said on national radio. 

I didn't think the what Grimshaw said came from the BBC/Glasto relationship more so is it appropriate for a 'respected' person from one establishment to give such info out about an organisation it works with? If it was true, its not how the festival want it out in the public domain, surely they'd shut him down for saying it on the Wednesday and then he follows it up the next day..

9 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Do people really think they’d headline Glastonbury with absolutely nothing new to promote though? I thought them being back on the road/at festivals this year was all about promoting new material? ‘Cause if not then I definitely can’t see them headlining. It’s not like they’ve broken up and reformed or have any other reason to be given the slot now after all these years and would just be playing the same set they’ve been doing for the past five+ years. They ain’t the Stones and don’t have enough stellar material to pull that off (imo of course - I’m sure others would argue otherwise).

New material or not, subbing seems like the most ideal place to me. I would say Other headliner seems even more ideal but putting them up against Stormzy (where they’d undoubtedly go out of the three headliners) seems unwise, even if it does ring similar to Beyoncé vs QOTSA, just with Beyoncé being a much bigger deal 

Edited by FloorFiller
Words

9 hours ago, chatty said:

Ah, Id read somewehere there was a good chance they were releasing something this year. No surprise if not though, Im sure I read sometbing about fantasy albums that are never to be every few days now. 

There are definitely rumours about a new album out there. Nick told a fan apparently a while back (but he is supposed to be unreliable). Nothing concrete tho.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

This thread is an exhausting rally between “but they’re not big enough to headline - sub or Other headliner” and “but they have no reason to accept that so if they are playing, it’s as headliners”.

Yet i'm loving every minute of it! 

Two UK dates since 2011 definitely justifies this level of excitement for me, especially considering i was one of the unfortunate lot who waited outside Dingwalls...

• Upvote 2

At Reading and BST The Strokes played 18 songs and some of those are not long, Kasabian subbed Glastonbury in 2009 and played 16 songs, I can see the Strokes subbing and still playing a full set potentially. Having seen them at both of those gigs I thought they were incredibly tight at Reading but Julian seemed a bit off at Hyde Park. Would love them to play, having not seen Macca would prefer him slightly more but like both.

I know the Arctic Monkeys to headline rumour has lost all momentum but given the Strokes rumour I'm convincing myself that it'll be AM headlining with Stokes sub.

Also convicing myself AM we're offered it and weren't keen, however as they are big Strokes fans this was maybe used in order to sweeten the deal for them..

maybe just wishful thinking..

On 12/24/2018 at 10:54 PM, Madyaker said:

path

Pyramid sub or killers style secret set seem the most likely. If they did end up on the other stage it would be interesting to see who they put them up against. If it’s stormzy I could see them getting a bigger crowd. I think stormzy is going to get a record small crowd.

4 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Pyramid sub or killers style secret set seem the most likely. If they did end up on the other stage it would be interesting to see who they put them up against. If it’s stormzy I could see them getting a bigger crowd. I think stormzy is going to get a record small crowd.

See I really don't. I can see Stormzy getting a really decent crowd, assuming the new album is no worse than the first obvs

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Do people really think they’d headline Glastonbury with absolutely nothing new to promote though? I thought them being back on the road/at festivals this year was all about promoting new material? ‘Cause if not then I definitely can’t see them headlining. It’s not like they’ve broken up and reformed or have any other reason to be given the slot now after all these years and would just be playing the same set they’ve been doing for the past five+ years. They ain’t the Stones and don’t have enough stellar material to pull that off (imo of course - I’m sure others would argue otherwise).

New material or not, subbing seems like the most ideal place to me. I would say Other headliner seems even more ideal but putting them up against Stormzy (where they’d undoubtedly go out of the three headliners) seems unwise, even if it does ring similar to Beyoncé vs QOTSA, just with Beyoncé being a much bigger deal 

As I've said before, I think the only way they'd play Glastonbury at all is if Glasto end up scraping the barrel for a headliner (and the only reason I think there could be something in this is because there are other things to suggest they may in fact be scraping the barrel).

I don't think they'd accept a non-headline slot and I don't think Glasto would want them as headliners unless it's as a last option (exactly the same as The Cure but a bit further down the list, basically).

I assume this tour is the same as all their recent tours - a quick cash grab. They may be planning to release new material but I don't see how they're gonna do so before Summer based on how busy they've been with their other projects.

And anyway, the reason they're being discussed is because of the bits of info we've had about them playing, which all say they're headlining, so I don't see why people are taking those bits of info, ignoring the "headlining" part and predicting them to sub.

Edit: Okay looks like Nick Grimshaw didn't specify headlining so ignore that last part. We've had other info that they are headlining though which, again, is partly why I think there could be something in it.

Edited by Gucci Piggy