The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

I know most people on here have laughed off any correlation between bookies odds and the likelihood of them playing, but the short odds have raised my suspicions for a while. Like people have said, they're short markets with even the smallest bets fluctuating the odds, but they've never drifted to far away from evens for a prolonged period of time. A few people on here lumped on Lady Gaga which brought that down considerably but even thats now back up to 7/1. The Strokes are 6/4 meaning there has been a large amount placed on them or that consistent bets are being placed. 

Somebody has definitely heard something and is lumping money on them - Lets hope this rings true

8 hours ago, Gucci Piggy said:

I dunno if Glasto would do this or just let them play Latitude as well, but with The Strokes being a weak-ish headliner I could see them only wanting them on an exclusive.

As far as I'm aware, Glastonbury have never put an exclusivity clause in to their contracts, and that's a deliberate decision. Partly because they've got less to spend on those acts than other major festivals (probably including Latitude) and exclusivity clauses cost more, and partly because they try to sell the tickets based on the Festival not on a specific lineup so they don't need to directly compete with what another festival is doing.

10 hours ago, august1 said:

given the glasto/bbc relationship would a main dj leak info like this though?!

I've always thought that it's exceedingly unlikely that anything the BBC might learn of Glasto's line-ups thru their relationship gets channelled down to the BBC DJs, particularly this early.

I think it's much more likely the DJ would hear stuff from other places. They're likely to have waaaay more gossipy contact with music biz PRs and music industry execs or perhaps just junior players who are their music biz mates than they would do with TV program schedulers and producers.

The fact Grim Nickshaw has mentioned it twice is suggesting to me that Nick thinks it's definitely true, because he knows what that source is involved with.

The problem, tho, is that even exceedingly well-placed sources have it wrong sometimes. If I worked by the placing of my sources for Macca and The Cure it would be impossible for them to be wrong - and yet my time sat here has made me realise that I can never ever trust what I'm told is actually accurate.

Still, good enough for me to add The Strokes as a rumour as it's being said on national radio. 

If The Strokes are at Glastonbury I just cannot see them headlining. They sit in that middle ground between too big to sub but not quite a big enough draw these days to headline, but a sub slot (marked as Special Guests if they must) from them, or even Other headliner, seems far more likely than them being booked to headline Glastonbury in 2019. Even with a new album I think everybody knows they’re essentially just running off the fumes of their first now 18 year old album and anything new is just to give them a reason for still existing. 

Stormzy, The Strokes, The Cure... as much as I don’t see it, it’d 100% be worth it just for the outcry. 

8 hours ago, xxialac said:

1. Is this It

big gap to:

2, Room On Fire, First Impressions, Comedown Machine

big gap to:

5 Angles

First two albums are astonishingly good.

Impressions contains some very good tracks.

Comedown Machine is vastly underrated.

Angles is below average.

Bands have headlined GF with far shitter material.

I'm praying the rumours are true.

However - I agree with some of Fillers comment re them being in that middle ground somewhat.

Edited by Stokesy10

51 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

If The Strokes are at Glastonbury I just cannot see them headlining. They sit in that middle ground between too big to sub but not quite a big enough draw these days to headline, but a sub slot (marked as Special Guests if they must) from them, or even Other headliner, seems far more likely than them being booked to headline Glastonbury in 2019. Even with a new album I think everybody knows they’re essentially just running off the fumes of their first now 18 year old album and anything new is just to give them a reason for still existing. 

Stormzy, The Strokes, The Cure... as much as I don’t see it, it’d 100% be worth it just for the outcry. 

Me neither, but I also don't think they'd take a non-headline slot, so I reckon the only way they'd end up playing is if Glasto end up scraping the barrel for a headliner.

Would there really be any outcry about that trio? Sure, it's small, but the people who moan about the lineup online don't seem to care about the size of the acts, just whether they're guitar bands. I think The Strokes would be pretty well accepted by that lot. Obviously there'd be some complaints but that's the case with every headliner.

The Strokes are incredibly rare live as well, and have a lasting legacy within indie rock. When you consider they have only had half a dozen UK shows in the past thirteen years, it’s really quite daft that people think it’d be widely disappointing - so many who’ve started going to gigs since 2006 (or particularly since 2015) will have had massively reduced opportunity to see them.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The Strokes are incredibly rare live as well, and have a lasting legacy within indie rock. When you consider they have only had half a dozen UK shows in the past thirteen years, it’s really quite daft that people think it’d be widely disappointing - so many who’ve started going to gigs since 2006 (or particularly since 2015) will have had massively reduced opportunity to see them.

Correct. I'm a big fan, only seen them once which was at Leeds Festival 2011. Had to pass up the opportunity to see them at Hyde Park a few years back and not really had the chance since. Seeing them at Glastonbury would be something else.

I'm quite surprised they divide opinion so much, I must have misjudged it completely. Aside from Comedown Machine, which I couldn't really get into, I think every record they've made has been top drawer.

19 minutes ago, Gucci Piggy said:

Me neither, but I also don't think they'd take a non-headline slot, so I reckon the only way they'd end up playing is if Glasto end up scraping the barrel for a headliner.

Would there really be any outcry about that trio? Sure, it's small, but the people who moan about the lineup online don't seem to care about the size of the acts, just whether they're guitar bands. I think The Strokes would be pretty well accepted by that lot. Obviously there'd be some complaints but that's the case with every headliner.

Yeah I was thinking about this earlier and I generally agree. As you say, The Strokes would go down really well with the people wanting guitar bands and even The Cure wouldn't be a disaster in that regard. I reckon it would generally be seen as a very weak set of headliners but I agree The Strokes would satisfy the most vocal complainers.

56 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Has Grimshite actually said something, has it been established or is this still believing the guy of what his wife said? and two times is very odd to say if he didn't believe he was right...

Yeah he's dropped it in his show for the last 2 days, basically just said someone told him they're playing