The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:13 PM, tevaburger said:

I've given both "Is This It" and "Room on Fire" a spin this weekend after reading all of this. Both great records

I hate to get too excited at the prospect of The Strokes playing, especially after the whole 2010 rumour in the days prior that I fell for, in that they were definitely playing a surprise set somewhere and seemingly ever steward on site seeming to say so as well. I enjoyed the Broken Social scene into Julian Casablancas segment on JP that sunday, after leaving the Bimble Inn where people were saying that Albert Hammond was the surprise guest playing that afternoon. 

I think if Glastonbury has them, they'll be on the Pyramid. I think they'd be perfect (and their egos would be happy with it) before The Cure on Sunday, even as an announced 'special guest'. Two similarly influential bands for different eras. 

The Cure, The Strokes, Lana Del Rey, Kylie Minogue, that's my pyramid finale prediction. 

For a band that have been going since 2001/2002 and I have seen a few times at Leeds Festival

Why it has never come off for them to appear at Glastonbury ?

40 minutes ago, VCK said:

The Strokes have subbed UK festivals before so I don't see why subbing the Pyramid would be too low of a slot. Biffy Clyro and The Libertines have both done it, although the latter was a last minute arrangement.

They've been paid shedloads though (they co-headlined Reading/Leeds with Pulp so didn't really sub there), I doubt the fee a Glasto sub gets would be of interest to them.

33 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

In 2011they subbed the NME stage at T in the Park, surely if they were commanding outrageous fees they wouldn't be doing that?

I bet T paid their subs a lot more than GF did though.

Most festivals rely on their lineups to shift tickets and so are more likely to throw money at a big name act, even for a sub slot. Glastonbury doesn't.

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

In 2011they subbed the NME stage at T in the Park, surely if they were commanding outrageous fees they wouldn't be doing that?

That TITP bill was the biggest UK festival lineup in recent history. Probably ever. Not a reasonable gauge.

Also I think, on that tour, The Strokes were more inclined to take non-headline slots cos they had an album to flog. Next year there's no new music just money to be had.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

That TITP bill was the biggest UK festival lineup in recent history. Probably ever. Not a reasonable gauge.

Also I think, on that tour, The Strokes were more inclined to take non-headline slots cos they had an album to flog. Next year there's no new music just money to be had.

Yeah I know what you mean it was mental. My point kinda is on here they're made out to be incredibly money-driven or whatever but in reality is there any actual evidence of that other than the scarcity of their shows?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Yeah I know what you mean it was mental. My point kinda is on here they're made out to be incredibly money-driven or whatever but in reality is there any actual evidence of that other than the scarcity of their shows?

Yeah I have no idea if it’s purely money driven appearances they go for or if it’s just that they moved away from doing stuff as the strokes to explore other musical ideas. Really hoping they have a bit more interest in the strokes again next year and visit uncharted venues and festivals as a band. 

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Radio x claiming they have new music coming in 2019, so could be plausible 

56F0956A-11DB-46CC-A387-7169DB9C3080.png

Edited by Razza_bezza

4 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

What sort of evidence? A statement from the band saying that they're in it for the money? :P It's just adding 2 and 2. They haven't toured properly in over a decade, they don't write new music anymore, their disenchantment for the band and their fraught relationship with other members is well documented... yet when festivals have a big cheque ready to send over they can put it all aside.

If they wanted to play Glastonbury, it's been booking indie rock bands in spades since they started and rose to the peak of that scene, and also since Julian played solo as well. If they're not too expensive then it doesn't make sense that they just haven't got around to playing in nearly twenty years as a major band.

13 minutes ago, Razza_bezza said:

Radio x claiming they have new music coming in 2019, so could be plausible 

Hardly a claim. And even then, it's Radio X. :D

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

What sort of evidence? A statement from the band saying that they're in it for the money? :P It's just adding 2 and 2. They haven't toured properly in over a decade, they don't write new music anymore, their disenchantment for the band and their fraught relationship with other members is well documented... yet when festivals have a big cheque ready to send over they can put it all aside.

If they wanted to play Glastonbury, it's been booking indie rock bands in spades since they started and rose to the peak of that scene, and also since Julian played solo as well. If they're not too expensive then it doesn't make sense that they just haven't got around to playing in nearly twenty years as a major band.

Hardly a claim. And even then, it's Radio X. :D

Last album 2013 and an EP in 2016 plus what's to say there's no new album coming? 

For the record, I can't picture them headlining but I also don't think it's been a case of them being an obvious band to play it in the past and they haven't due to money. More just like they've never been asked to headline probs.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, fuzzy_logic said:

My good wife has just informed me that Nick Grimshaw stated on his R1 show today that he's heard a very strong rumour that the Strokes are playing this year. Not sure how connected Nick Grimshaw is just passing on the info.

I’d guess he’s probably fairly well connected.  Got to headline if they play though surely?

18 minutes ago, fuzzy_logic said:

My good wife has just informed me that Nick Grimshaw stated on his R1 show today that he's heard a very strong rumour that the Strokes are playing this year. Not sure how connected Nick Grimshaw is just passing on the info.

Is she 100% certain that's what NG said?

12 minutes ago, sisco said:

Just been to search it on Twitter and there’s nothing,  not even 1 person commenting.  No reason to doubt your missus but she’s lying.... 

Ha ha apparently it was said in conversation with his producer talking about who were tomorrow's artist in the segment of the show where he picks his favourite track by that artist ?!?

Don't shoot the messenger ??

1 minute ago, fuzzy_logic said:

Ha ha apparently it was said in conversation with his producer talking about who were tomorrow's artist in the segment of the show where he picks his favourite track by that artist ?!?

Don't shoot the messenger ??

Ha, I’m not matey.  

1 hour ago, sisco said:

I’d guess he’s probably fairly well connected.  Got to headline if they play though surely?

No way are they headlining, the only way they do Glastonbury is if they have decided they can no longer demand top level billing here. The Strokes and Stormzy would look very weak and not even Macca I don't think makes that a strong set, The Cure with them two would make it very weak.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Someone on here heard a rumour about them too. Headlining though. Maybe Grimzy heard the same rumour.

They'd heard it was Stormzy, The Strokes and The Cure hadn't they? Would be quite funny if they booked three acts who are often talked about on here as not quite big enough all in the same year.