The Strokes

RarerThanDandyB

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

I bloody love 'comedown machine', and enjoyed the first album a lot, but have just realised that i have no ideas about the records in between. Anything essential there?

Angles can be hard to get into but some very strong songs on there! Listened to it for the first time in a long time today and really enjoyed it.

3 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Highlights are:

Reptilia, Under Control, Meet Me In The Bathroom (Room On Fire) 

Juicebox, Heart In A Cage, 15 Minutes (First Impressions of Earth) 

Under the Cover of Darkness (Angles) 

Add The End Has No End to the second album. There isn't actually a bad track on it. You're in for a treat.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Highlights are:

Reptilia, Under Control, Meet Me In The Bathroom (Room On Fire) 

Juicebox, Heart In A Cage, 15 Minutes (First Impressions of Earth) 

Under the Cover of Darkness (Angles) 

We’ve spoke about this before but Heart in a Cage is easily one of their best tunes. Fucking banger. 

• Like 1

Angles was my fave for years but I prob lean towards Is This It these days. Room On Fire is brilliant too. Those 3 albums are all essential tbh. The other two are both good as well; I've never really got why people always say they're inconsistent. One way or another I'm gonna see them next summer and I'm absolutely buzzing.

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Not sure they'd do a secret set like the killers, big overcrowding issues and if they pulled the same stunt again it'd be worse. If the cure can headline in 2018 the strokes can imo.

The Killers are a fair bit bigger than The Strokes. Also were there big overcrowding "issues" or did they just shut the area off once it got full? 

Room on fire: 12:51, You Talk Way Too Much, What Ever Happened, I Cant Win*

First Impressions: Juicebox, Razorblade, Heart in A Cage

Angles: Gratisfaction, Under Cover Of Darkness, Taken For A Fool

*huge realisation when typing this list out that every song on that album is a banger. 

Get them on the farm,

Aye, for the sake of clarification I think Room on Fire is a great album, I was just trying to pull some highlights as per Mardy's request. 

In terms of rating the albums it's an easy one from me, they've declined in release order (mirroring their popularity probably). Comedown Machine being the weakest and Is This It being, arguably, the best album of the 2000s. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Aye, for the sake of clarification I think Room on Fire is a great album, I was just trying to pull some highlights as per Mardy's request. 

In terms of rating the albums it's an easy one from me, they've declined in release order (mirroring their popularity probably). Comedown Machine being the weakest and Is This It being, arguably, the best album of the 2000s. 

yeh i just wanted to throw in a few suggestions and reinforce how good the 2nd album actually is! 

Cant argue with you on the albums either but its worth a mention that the gap between the 1st and 2nd in terms of personal preference is the smallest of them all, probably because the album is basically an extension of the first - Perfect

9 hours ago, Madyaker said:

If the cure can headline in 2018 the strokes can imo.

Right. I’d put them in the exact same box of cult bands that command a few and headline festivals but Glasto steers clear of. The Cure doing so again makes me feel like they could do it also.

Find it bizarre that them being able to headline is such a minority view and painted up as irrational, when it’s a band that just comes out of hibernation to headline fests and grab money. They are seemingly causing the biggest flurry of excitement on the European festival scene and lots of bands from their era are coming back bigger than ever but still folk are saying ‘nobody is interested anymore’. There were people shouting them to sub Other or headline John Peel the day before they were announced at Hyde Park!

• Like 2

On 12/19/2018 at 8:29 PM, dentalplan said:
  1. First Impressions of Earth
  2. Is This It
  3. Comedown Machine
  4. Angles
  5. Room on Fire

Totally agree with your number one there. 

1. FIOE                                                            

2. Room On Fire                                            

3. Is This It                                                      

4. Comedown Machine                              

5. Angles

On repeated listens Angles could climb a spot, definitely growing on me now. 

Edited by HeyPorter
Was a mess!

I'd always heard that the Strokes were arrogant, and demanded huge fees etc.  But then I saw Julian Casablancas sub the JP stage and he seemed very genuinely humbled by the big crowd and he seemed very impressed with Glastonbury as a whole.

Edited by uscore