New Somerset cider for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

6 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair, it's Wikipedia research. If it's on the same site then it seems like it's pretty strongly linked.

pretty sure "the Shepton Mallet cider mill" (where the new Showerings operate from today) was their premises when when they owned Babycham before selling out to conglomerates - as their old headquarters (Kilver Court) is directly opposite.

They took the site over when Magners pulled out a few years back, and seem to be going very well. From TV news they had 24 employees when they started a few years ago and now have over 100 (think it's around 150).

7 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Family starts what becomes a famous drink. Sells it to someone else. Then proceed to start a new company with an extremely similar drink that becomes simarlarly massive? What? Surely the buyers lawyers would've put a "no competition within x" boundary type clause on the sellers?

the old showerings company that made babycham sold out to Allied Breweries in 1968. Any non-compete agreement would have long lapsed by the early 90s when they started Brothers - and (says wiki) they only started Brothers after failing to buy back Showerings from Allied.

Seems like a family rather in love with cider making. 

On 16 December 2018 at 8:35 AM, eFestivals said:

pretty sure "the Shepton Mallet cider mill" (where the new Showerings operate from today) was their premises when when they owned Babycham before selling out to conglomerates - as their old headquarters (Kilver Court) is directly opposite.

They took the site over when Magners pulled out a few years back, and seem to be going very well. From TV news they had 24 employees when they started a few years ago and now have over 100 (think it's around 150).

the old showerings company that made babycham sold out to Allied Breweries in 1968. Any non-compete agreement would have long lapsed by the early 90s when they started Brothers - and (says wiki) they only started Brothers after failing to buy back Showerings from Allied.

Seems like a family rather in love with cider making.

Now that clears it up for me. Obviously. Non competes only last for so long or they are uncompetitive/restrictive of trade

It's a long time since I did (low level) business law, but if it's true that Thatchers had signed an x years contract x years ago and these overlap...?

Hmm. Lots of questions. Business boring. None of my business but intriguied.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

There will indeed by no Thatchers at the festival this year, according to a post on, er, a popular social media group, from someone in the drinks industry.

Shame.  I find Thatchers to  be a safe if unexciting bet when I just fancy a cold pint. We'll see what the replacement's like I guess

3 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

There will indeed by no Thatchers at the festival this year, according to a post on, er, a popular social media group, from someone in the drinks industry.

Which is odd...

https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/southwest/thatchers-renews-glastonbury-agreement

Somerset-based Thatchers has renewed its agreement to supply cider to the Glastonbury Festival.

The manufacturer will be the official cider supplier to the festival for the next five years.

Four craft cider bars will be located across Worthy Farm featuring a range of ciders on tap, including Heritage, Big Apple and Cheddar Valley. Thatchers Gold and Thatchers Haze will also be available at bars across the festival.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

Only reporting what I'm seeing. We were wondering on this thread how they could square that existing Thatchers agreement with this new one for Mallets to be the the festival's "principal cider brand" and on sale in "110 bars".

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

Only reporting what I'm seeing. We were wondering on this thread how they could square that existing Thatchers agreement with this new one for Mallets to be the the festival's "principal cider brand" and on sale in "110 bars".

Something had to give I suppose.

It's odd that the agreement has been terminated though. I wonder what the reason was and if it was by them or the festival?

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Martin Thatcher, who runs the cider company, said: "We’ve had a great time working with Glastonbury Festival over the past few years and we’ve become good friends with Michael and Emily Eavis.

"This year we won’t be there as the official cider to the festival, as partnerships like this do always change.

"We’ll be there in spirit though and if you’re lucky enough to have tickets, we wish everyone a fantastic time.

"Of course festival goers will be able to find supplies of Thatchers Gold and Haze, to enjoy while they’re there, in nearby supermarkets and of course throughout Bristol.

"Meanwhile we’ve got a really exciting spring and summer full of events ahead, especially here in the South West – including Valley Fest, Bristol International Balloon Fiesta and the Badminton Horse Trials, and we’ve also just announced our partnership with the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup, which will have international matches at both Bristol and Taunton, so we look forward to serving our ciders to many, many people over the coming months.”

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/thatchers-isnt-going-glastonbury-festivals-2691066

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

There's 110 bars on site?! Jesus

When someone says meet you in such and such a bar it can take fuckin ages finding it!  Is ther such a thing as a bar only map instead of those wee unnamed pint pots on the main map? As for cider, Glastonbury is the only time I actually drink it so not being a connoisseur if it’s cold it all tastes the same to me ! 

I'm not as pessimistic about this as I once was.  Brothers have quite a line in gut rot perry and I expected their cider brand to be just as bad, but on a whim in my local B&M the other week, I bought a carton of their still cider.  And it wasn't bad.  Not bad at all.  Nowhere near as good as the glorious Woodgate Reserve Devonshire Scrumpy from LIDL (thanks @Sawdusty Surfer), but a lot better than their pear based fizz. 

Maybe they can handle an Apple after all? 

Brothers-Festival-Apple-cider-cartons_90

https://brotherscider.co.uk/products/brothers-festival-apple-still-cider

1 hour ago, Madyaker said:

There's 110 bars on site?! Jesus

55 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

When someone says meet you in such and such a bar it can take fuckin ages finding it!  Is ther such a thing as a bar only map instead of those wee unnamed pint pots on the main map? As for cider, Glastonbury is the only time I actually drink it so not being a connoisseur if it’s cold it all tastes the same to me ! 

48 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

In 2017 the official site published this guide to the bars so I guess we shall get something similar when the list of traders is set and the new map has been finalised. 

its in the Headline ' Some Of The Bars ' - 17 bars listed out of a claimed 110 although that figure is wide of the mark as the vast amount of ticket holders will never have access to a good bunch of them - even with a AAA Pass a person would still not gain access to some of them.Even on the official map its between 30 and 40 so well away from the claimed figure.

Since WBC split { some left to form Avalon } there has not been a accurate Bar Map - it was roughly 42 bars listed but that only included the ones operated by WBC .

these days Avalon will make up their own map - which has been included for some of the years in previous threads about a bar map - the WBC bar map is not that great ' although they do claim that some of the key bars will be redesigned upgraded arena bars - may find out about that at the next planning meeting in a few weeks although I suspect they will not spend money on a new bar map.

its a shame really as if was up to me I would set out a bar map covering all the public bars.

Somewhat disappointed..... mainly because Tatcher's is a decent cider. The Thatcher's Haze is lovely and was hoping to be able to grab some of that while out and about....

Wont go down well if this new stuff is crap... it has a dark fruit option which is ok but remains to be seen. I'm sure it will be fine tbh. 

I think maybe Thatchers are possibly trying to cut their losses here.

As mentioned previously, I worked at a Thatchers craft bar in 2016.

We turned away more people looking for beer and lager than we served cider to. I honestly couldn't see how they were making any money.

2 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I am pleased about this as if I remember correctly they stopped the Cider Bus having the lovely Cider Bus paper cups. :unsure:

What? The yellow ones? Aww.

First time I've heard this.

Have to say I didn't notice that.

Any idea why?

Burrow Hill are thoroughly great. I’m only an occasional cider drinker, but when I do have it I want proper lumpy apply goodness and not cold fizzy bollocks. Hot n spicy with added brandy is a regular of mine at the fest. Might take a 10l box from a producer just down the road from me actually - he makes a gorgeous mango cider that’s so refreshing and healthy tasting it’s nigh on impossible to believe it gets you drunk! 

But it definitely does ?

Ascension cider, if anyone in the south east sees it then give it a bash! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

What? The yellow ones? Aww.

First time I've heard this.

Have to say I didn't notice that.

Any idea why?

My husband asked at Cider Bus and was told that Thatcher's were the official festival cider company so they could no longer use their own cups. :(

3 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

My husband asked at Cider Bus and was told that Thatcher's were the official festival cider company so they could no longer use their own cups. :(

Well. I honestly can't remember if the Thatchers bars had branded cups or not.

53 minutes ago, Havors said:

Somewhat disappointed..... mainly because Tatcher's is a decent cider. The Thatcher's Haze is lovely and was hoping to be able to grab some of that while out and about....

Wont go down well if this new stuff is crap... it has a dark fruit option which is ok but remains to be seen. I'm sure it will be fine tbh. 

As i said on page 1 of this thread they sell it in the Pilton WMC and it is fizzy pop that is a bit too sweet for me. Think Top Deck if you are old enough to remember. It is a thing that Michael is supporting and so you get the chance to try it......

Kids who like magners will love it. And it will be refreshing during the june heatwave.

So 'The Brothers' have the Glasto cider racket pretty much stitched up now then what with this new deal and their B Bar - unless they are sacrificing the B Bar for the deal that is...

One good thing is that the deal is for 4 years so that's good evidence that Glasto intends to be around for at least another 4 years.

On 12/15/2018 at 8:47 PM, MrZigster said:

Thanks for the enlightenment Mr. Hats. At festival strength Brothers is 1% proof stronger than Babycham, so maybe not the same.

Agree about the Cider Bus. First drink on site for me always has to be a Hot & Spicy as a matter of tradition. When they have it ready for opening that is. Which often they don't.

Hear Hear!