New Somerset cider for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

19 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I really hope I have the wrong end of the stick here.....but does this mean that there will be ONLY this kind of cider on the whole site? So, no scrumpy, no cider bus? ? 

Or is this cider only replacing the Thatchers and everything else remains as was?

The craft cider was all Thatchers, so I expect that's gone too. I suppose it's possible Brothers (or Mallets) might try to do some craft cider, but I don't think they have the products for those kinds of bars.

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's loads about the Brothers connections on the first couple of pages. I don't have high hopes for this new cider.

It's alright.  As fizzy ciders go, there are far worse.  Give me a Cheddar Valley any day, and I can't see many drinking many of them, but compared to strongbow and many other fizzy ciders, it's not bad

11 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's loads about the Brothers connections on the first couple of pages. I don't have high hopes for this new cider.

Ah yeah, just seen, sorry

11 hours ago, Greenelk said:

It's alright.  As fizzy ciders go, there are far worse.  Give me a Cheddar Valley any day, and I can't see many drinking many of them, but compared to strongbow and many other fizzy ciders, it's not bad

I just don't understand why the organisers insist on pairing-up with mass-produced cider companies.  Is it just because that's what most people want?  A matter of logistics - larger companies are able to supply the volume that smaller producers can't?  

I'd love a handful of dedicated craft cider bars across the site

Just now, WStoner said:

That's ok.  I tried several times to reword my post so it didn't sound like I was telling you off, but gave up.  There are a zillion posts on these threads, I don't think anyone can read them all, hopefully the earlier discussion was useful :)

I think it is logistics.  They deal with mass produced cider companies, because they need cider produced en-masse.

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

How does it compare to the incumbent, Thatcher's Gold?

smells better (lovely bouquet of cider), drinks like pop (made in the old Babycham factory i reckon), has a god awful aftertaste - tried it - went back to thatchers

Just gonna have to remain within striking distance of the Burrow Hill

I can't be drinkin it - if you hate real cider and love Strongbow or Brothers - you'll love this. If you like Cider bus cider you'll probably be disappointed.

Edited by 5co77ie

4 hours ago, WStoner said:

I just don't understand why the organisers insist on pairing-up with mass-produced cider companies.  Is it just because that's what most people want?  A matter of logistics - larger companies are able to supply the volume that smaller producers can't?  

I'd love a handful of dedicated craft cider bars across the site

It's called Mallet cos it comes from Shepton Mallet - can't get much more local than that and keeps the Francis Showering memory alive - they're called Brothers cos they're the sons of Francis

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And?  Which of the (sadly few) 10l boxes would you recommend?

my regulars on there are Sheppys, Harrys, and Hunts

but I'd probably recommend this un' (the one I have with me every year)

https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/bib-portwine-65-hecks-20l-c2x22243903

and this one for sunny days:

https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/bnb-bee-sting-still-75-c2x20531470

Just now, 5co77ie said:

my regulars on there are Sheppys, Harrys, and Hunts

but I'd probably recommend this un' (the one I have with me every year)

https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/bib-portwine-65-hecks-20l-c2x22243903

and this one for sunny days:

https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/bnb-bee-sting-still-75-c2x20531470

Much appreciated!

Just now, 5co77ie said:

/me hatches plan to make 2Hats a convert

It's just not as good as the apple stuff.  It doesn't taste as good and doesn't make me feel as good.

I'll never trust it again after finding out how bad my hangover was from Brothers.  And I do realise that might have more to do with sulphates(or sulphides or whatever) than pear cider.  

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's just not as good as the apple stuff.  It doesn't taste as good and doesn't make me feel as good.

I'll never trust it again after finding out how bad my hangover was from Brothers.  And I do realise that might have more to do with sulphates(or sulphides or whatever) than pear cider.  

oh gods help you if you been thinking Brothers is like a proper perry! That's like saying Purple Strongbow is like Hunts Pixie Juice!