New Somerset cider for Glastonbury Festival

Dukeicon

1 minute ago, Fearless_Fish said:

Rather than worrying about Thatcher's Gold in the "main bars", the key question is: what's the provision for craft cider at the festival? That Thatcher's craft bar in William's Green was transcendental.

My reading of the announcement was that the craft cider bars are no more.  Which is not good news. At all.

7 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Might take a 10l box from a producer just down the road from me actually - he makes a gorgeous mango cider that’s so refreshing and healthy tasting it’s nigh on impossible to believe it gets you drunk! 

But it definitely does ?

Ascension cider, if anyone in the south east sees it then give it a bash! 

How sweet is it ? I'm not a fan of flavoured cider but this does sound different ,found a cider maker in Frome https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/Mobile/lilley-s-cider-c102x3096483 which does some interesting flavours might try a few 

Wild-Dog-small.png

Gladiator-small.png

Mango-no-sparkle-1-small.png

Edited by cidy
None

14 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I think maybe Thatchers are possibly trying to cut their losses here.

As mentioned previously, I worked at a Thatchers craft bar in 2016.

We turned away more people looking for beer and lager than we served cider to. I honestly couldn't see how they were making any money.

I worked on a Thatchers craft bar in 2015. Even appeared on a shelter tweet.  May do it again in 2020

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

On a similar note can anyone remember if they serve proper beer / ale at the main bars or is it just lager / cider?

As said previously, I seem to remember that they usually have one real ale on at most if the larger bars, usually by Otter and branded as "Avalon Ale". I also remember that they have had Summer Lightning by Hopback on at certain bars as well. Other than that, it's the real ale tent in the Acoustic field and the Avalon Inn for real ale. Unsure whether the Inn is run by Otter but they definitely don't only sell Otter beer. Glasto Worker may be able to provide further more detailed insight.  

15 hours ago, pilton digger said:

As i said on page 1 of this thread they sell it in the Pilton WMC and it is fizzy pop that is a bit too sweet for me. Think Top Deck if you are old enough to remember. It is a thing that Michael is supporting and so you get the chance to try it......

Kids who like magners will love it. And it will be refreshing during the june heatwave.

Magners is drinkable, not the best but definitely drinkable. I can live with that to be honest. 

Genuinely disappointed by no Thatchers cider this year, it was my go to drink in 17 when it was roasting and needed a cold refreshment. Will need to have a scout for something new when its obviously going to be roasting again this year ;)

8 hours ago, cidy said:

How sweet is it ? I'm not a fan of flavoured cider but this does sound different ,found a cider maker in Frome https://www.lilleyscider.co.uk/Mobile/lilley-s-cider-c102x3096483 which does some interesting flavours might try a few 

Wild-Dog-small.png

Gladiator-small.png

Mango-no-sparkle-1-small.png

I’ve had a bash of Lilleys, they’re very decent. I live near Middle Farm in East Sussex, it’s an excellent ciderie with about 150 barrels of all kinds of varieties that you can head round and try before decanting and buying. They’ve got flavoured ciders, specific varieties of apples, barrel aged ones and everything in between, from producers all over the country. It’s a real Mecca of ciderheads but you do have to try and get someone else to drive . . . ?

17 hours ago, pilton digger said:

As i said on page 1 of this thread they sell it in the Pilton WMC and it is fizzy pop that is a bit too sweet for me. Think Top Deck if you are old enough to remember. It is a thing that Michael is supporting and so you get the chance to try it......

Kids who like magners will love it. And it will be refreshing during the june heatwave.

Top deck shandy and lager\lime was the introduction to alcohol in primary school.  Magners always seems better out of an ice cold bottle. Surely Glastonbury should be promoting local ciders? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Top deck shandy and lager\lime was the introduction to alcohol in primary school.  Magners always seems better out of an ice cold bottle. Surely Glastonbury should be promoting local ciders? 

It is a local cider.  It's a mainstream, fizzy pop local cider, but the producers are based in Shepton Mallet, so you're not going to get much more local.

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Top deck shandy was beautiful.

Kwik save shandy cider was what the hard boys drank.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

There's quite a bit on the background to the company earlier in the thread - basically it's the same company as Brothers and same family as Babycham.

Cheers will give it a try. Mind you, after a session on cider I need a gaviscon or omeprazole chaser and a quick dash to a long drop! 

Babysham was another drink sneaked out of my mother’s drinks cupboard. Easy to drink as a youngster! 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It is a local cider.  It's a mainstream, fizzy pop local cider, but the producers are based in Shepton Mallet, so you're not going to get much more local

But more local ?but not massed produced 

Pilton300.png

20 hours ago, Greenelk said:

My reading of the announcement was that the craft cider bars are no more.  Which is not good news. At all.

I really hope I have the wrong end of the stick here.....but does this mean that there will be ONLY this kind of cider on the whole site? So, no scrumpy, no cider bus? ? 

Or is this cider only replacing the Thatchers and everything else remains as was?

1 minute ago, Sasperella said:

I really hope I have the wrong end of the stick here.....but does this mean that there will be ONLY this kind of cider on the whole site? So, no scrumpy, no cider bus? ? 

Or is this cider only replacing the Thatchers and everything else remains as was?

The Cider Bus has deeper roots in the farm than most of the trees on site. Long may it reign.

It occurred to me the other day that Burrow Hill (who run the ciderbus) must have had a massive surplus of apples with no festival in 2018!