feral chile

I was reminded today of an often read story read to my class by my primary school teacher. A very sad tale that reduced us all to tears.

http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/textonly760-the-story-of-gelert.html

Do any of you have any urban legends, childhood tales, that you still remember?

28 minutes ago, feral chile said:

I was reminded today of an often read story read to my class by my primary school teacher. A very sad tale that reduced us all to tears.

http://myths.e2bn.org/mythsandlegends/textonly760-the-story-of-gelert.html

Do any of you have any urban legends, childhood tales, that you still remember?

When my oldest brother had his first child my mom and dad's dog would spin around and lay down next to the child. I can tell you now that no stranger was going to get near this child. There's no doubt in my mind that the dog was guarding the child. 

9 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

When my oldest brother had his first child my mom and dad's dog would spin around and lay down next to the child. I can tell you now that no stranger was going to get near this child. There's no doubt in my mind that the dog was guarding the child. 

I think animals get underestimated.

4 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Teacher in school once attributed a local unsolved disappearance to the work of a boggart.

My first reaction was I like it.

then my Miss Marple kicked in.

'Teacher attempts to explain away suspicious disappearance'

My best friend at school introduced me to the concept of the bogey man, which wasn't a tradition in my household.

To explain away the strange clanging coming from steps leading to a basement level room in my old infants school.

Really the kitchens I suspect.

My own children were taught  by the school not to speak to strangers, and scared to the extent that they thought strangers were monsters.

I inadvertently caused my son to be scared of the gas man. 

The gas man knocked the door while he was watching Scooby Doo, and when he asked me who it was I told him the gas man.

Pity he was asking about the obligatory Scooby monster.