2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

3 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Lists are gonna be tough to rank this year. Been a lot of great records this year without there being a clear, runaway winner for me. 

Bang on.  Bit like the fest this year tbh, lots I wanted to see without any stand out must sees. The theme of 2019.

Like there's lots of people at work I could happily batter, but no stand outs that I'd straight up murder as a priority :D

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Getting massive amounts of Curtis Mayfield from it.  And almost a movie soundtrack feel in places.  I love it

Haven't heard the album yet, but definitely got the Mayfield vibe seeing him on Later last night and off the back of it bought a ticket for next years Bournemouth date.  

Also looking forward to listening to new Warmduscher this evening when i get home 

Edited by tjamest

On 10/31/2019 at 2:53 PM, northernringo said:

What do you all use to track upcoming new album releases?

This "STAFF PICKS" page from Piccadilly Records in Manchester has put me on to a lot of good stuff. Their end of year list is always worth a look as well*.

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/feature.php?&feature=643

The new Omni record is fine espresso shot of post-punk, hopefully be seeing them at YES later this month.

*Speaking of end of year lists, one album which has gone a bit under the radar was the latest from Trash Kit - "Horizon". One of Rachel Aggs (Sacred Paws, Shopping) other bands. Danalogue from The Comet is Coming pops up on a fair bit of the record. Probably holding No.2 position in my reckoning, don't think anything can match Sharon Van Etten.

Edited by Tatterdemalion
tried to embed a spotify link, gave up
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Definitely not the right place to post this but oh well (I'm putting bamber to shame). Watching this it seems Dua's live presence has improved a crap ton since her last album stuff. She's gotta be a lock for a sub/third pyramid slot at this point surely.

I came here to talk some more about Michael Kiwanuka and I've been stopped in my tracks by this. Proper pop anthem that, get her subbing the pyramid and i'll be there 

Just listened to Michael Kiwanuka's album a couple of times this morning.  On early listening i'd easily have it up there as one of the albums of the year. Saw him at the london palladium a couple of years ago and he was fantastic, would love for him to be at the farm

1 minute ago, Gromite said:

Just listened to Michael Kiwanuka's album a couple of times this morning.  On early listening i'd easily have it up there as one of the albums of the year. Saw him at the london palladium a couple of years ago and he was fantastic, would love for him to be at the farm

Think he'd go down really well in the slot before Diana Ross.

6 minutes ago, Badlands said:

His placement this year was odd bearing in mind he’d rinsed his last album to death. Wonder if the new one was delayed?

He was bloody brilliant though. I am a big fan even if I do have the unfortunate habit of getting Black Man in a White World stuck in my head and singing it a bit too loud at times. 

8 hours ago, Quark said:

Repeated listens over the weekend, yeah I'd say KIWANUKA has made a late surge for my AOTY. At the moment I'd say there's my clear runaway winner @SwedgeAntilles

I'm not quite there yet but it's definitely going to be there or thereabouts 

This year might go down as my favourite for new music (that I've been old enough to appreciate myself). 

My Spotify most listened playlist might even top my 2017 one which has been said* to be the greatest 100 song collection in history.

*It might have been me who said this.