2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

17 minutes ago, EighteenSixty7 said:

I've got other albums to catch-up on from the past week or two but currently listening to

Jimmy Lee - Raphael Saadiq

THe S.L.P. - The S.L.P.

Let Love - Common

May the Lord Watch - Little Brother

The Lost Boy - YBN Cordae

Love that new Little Brother one.

Nice to see Pitchfork make up for that daft 5.5 they gave Born to Die.  9.4 for Norman Effing Rockwell

I'm a big Lana fan and generally prefer her poppier records (BTD, Paradise, LFL). But her piano tracks are always so good, and this new album is full of them. Mariners has become one of my favourite Lana tracks over the last year, and California is the standout from the new stuff.

1 hour ago, Mash011 said:

normal f rock is real good ya, i like.

but yall are sleeping on the new ezra furman, what gives?

Its decent, always takes me a bit of time to warm to all his albums properly for some reason, I didn't really like the last album when it came out now I wish this album was more like it. Sure I'll love it soon enough.

2 hours ago, uscore said:

It's quite handy with Lana, because if someone comes along and says "I don't know much about her, can you recommend me a starting point" you can just tell them to pick any of her albums at random. It won't make a difference.

In terms of style or quality? In style, even if you just take the last 2, they're massively different. In quality, I think Born to Die and Rockwell are way ahead of the others - I'd always recommend starting with Born to Die, it's a classic (I also noticed that Pitchfork rating for it, absolutely baffling). 

22 hours ago, Lubic87 said:

Nice to see Pitchfork make up for that daft 5.5 they gave Born to Die.  9.4 for Norman Effing Rockwell

I'm a big Lana fan and generally prefer her poppier records (BTD, Paradise, LFL). But her piano tracks are always so good, and this new album is full of them. Mariners has become one of my favourite Lana tracks over the last year, and California is the standout from the new stuff.

Just came here to post the Pitchfork review. It's their highest score of an album for five years. I've listened to the record about three times a day since it came out and probably need to slow down to avoid burning it out but it is just so good. AOTY so far.