2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

im off to a gig there in a few weeks ... was told it gets quite hot ...and view from back isn't good ? any thoughts not been there before 

Yeah last night was very hot and sweaty in there and it wasn’t overly busy. The bar is at the back and the view from there is poor as the roof is really low for the balcony above, however if you get a bit further forward past the balcony the view is fine. Cool idea for a venue but not the most practical, some good bars nearby though 

1 minute ago, Billjames7 said:

Yeah last night was very hot and sweaty in there and it wasn’t overly busy. The bar is at the back and the view from there is poor as the roof is really low for the balcony above, however if you get a bit further forward past the balcony the view is fine. Cool idea for a venue but not the most practical, some good bars nearby though 

cheers ... I think the gig im going to they are almost sold out ... although im sure the temperature outside may be cooler :) will probably end up in a wetherspoons unless I can persuade my friends otherwise :) 

20 hours ago, baggie92 said:

Just got round to listening to the new Cage The Elephant album, quite enjoyable but fairly forgettable, nothing that stands out really. 

Agreed. The War Is Overand Ready to Let Go were highlights for me but not an album I'd be swayed to go back to. 

Still need to listen to Lizzo and Fat Whites but Loyle Carners album was really promising, been listening to a lot of that over the weekend.

I know its not new but Beyonce's Lemonade is finally on Spotify so I'm hearing it for the first time. I like it, besides the odd song (Daddy Lessons is probably the worst song I've heard her do). 

As you've all said Fat Whites and Loyle Carner's were both great. Wand's might be album of the year for me. Alex Cameron's Life in San Francisco albums great as well.

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Been stuck on Chems and Anderson.Paak since they came out.  Need to give some of these a listen

Same. Chems in particular, it’s just so good.

Paak album for the contrast, when I don’t want the techno bangers. 

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

Haven't listened yet but there's a new Ride tune out 

Haven't been blown away by any of their reunion stuff, but their 1st April email from Andy Bell was a hoot:

OK, Ok. We just can’t fake it any longer!!

What started as a bit of a fun reunion a few years ago has run its coarse. There are now officially more shit ride records in the world than good ones and we’ve just about bled dry our legacy and our fans. When you wake up one day in your late 40s and realize that your life peaked at 21, you know it’s time to start working on a future.

It’s been great fun playing all my old songs again. did I mention that I wrote all the good ones! and to be at the front of the stage again. but having to keep pretending that we think the new record is the best thing we’ve ever done is tough to keep up. I’m sure you feel the same.
We’ve had a look and the cupboard is pretty bare. In fact all thats left of any value is the band name. In the spirit of true democracy, I’ve decided that we should divvie that up between us as we go our separate ways again.

Obviously I get first dibs and so I’m having the “R”. I’m going to put it to use immediately by reforming Beady Eye. I’m sure you’ll agree, the best band I’ve ever played guitar for. I called up Liam to see what he was up to but I think he must have changed phones and forgotten to give me the new number. I spoke to the other guys and there now back playing with Noel – nice of you to mention it! My plan is to form a Beady Eye tribute band (itself a Oasis tribute band, that just happened not to play any actual Oasis songs) called BEARDY EYE. My first idea was to reform Hurricane number 1 as Hurricane Number 2 but someone pointed out to me that this would just make it too easy for trolls. So Beardy Eye it is. we’re hoping to launch with a mid-afternoon slot on the Shine festival at Butlins later this year. I first need to find some other musicians with bad facial hair.

Loz has bagged the “I” as he’s very worried about what Brexit will have on the future of session drummers in the UK. Given that he already has a French-ish surname, having the “I” at his disposal will give him the chance to also be known as Loz Colberti which may open up opportunities in other parts of Europe for him. If you know of any other moderately successful indie bands of the late 80’s and early 90’s whose original drummer might not be able to hack the pace of a reunion tour then I can heartily recommend Signore Colberti.

I’ve given the “D” to the bass player and told him to stick it on a conical hat and wait in the corner of the room until I rereform ride in a few years time after we inevitably realise that being 21 again is a good thing after all. I did say to him that he could rearrange the furniture from time to time (not one of my songs) if he gets bored. He seemed happy with this.

And finally, Mark is going to take the “E”. He’s worried that his next attempt at a solo career is going to go the same way as the previous ones. You know, largely ignored by most people and with the handful that do turn up for gigs shouting out for ride songs (probably the ones that I wrote). By adding the “E” to his name to become Mark E Gardener he’s going to sound a lot more interesting and it will hopefully stop bloody promoters adding “(ex-ride)” after his name on the posters. Although it would be very handy for the rest of us if Mark could keep the ride flag flying a bit until we next get back together.

• Upvote 3

Otoboke Beaver's new album is streaming on Noisey ahead of getting released on Friday. If you're at all into punk or psych its well worth a listen. Then go to their first album. Finally getting to see them on Monday even if it opens me up to a Tuesday of GoT spoilers

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/evyd37/otoboke-beaver-itekoma-hits-stream

New Taylor Swift song out today... it's gotten to 15million views in about 4 hrs which is insane but to me it feels like a not-as-good version of blank space, but tbh I didnt make it through he entire video so maybe it gets good when the guy from panic at the disco starts singing. 

Im sure i'll hear it 100 times in the next week so i'll decide then. 

For now I rate it 1/1 "Thank you, next" 's