2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

4 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Personally I thought Billies album was pretty average. Pretty stellar production but everything else was kinda meh (and some of the lyricism was real crap).

The production is definitely the best thing about it, and I'm going to cut her a break when it comes to lyrics. She's still a child - only turned 17 in December. She won't be allowed to buy a drink at Glastonbury! Given she's not really lived yet, it's a bit much to expect her to deliver any stunning insights. I think she's doing just fine.

The worst thing I can say is that she's a bit Tumblr and is going to appeal to the 'I've got depression, it's cool!', suicide-chic crowd. Again, hopefully that's just an age thing. I find her quite dislikeable in interviews I've seen, and it's evident she's come from a place of privilege (not her fault), so she's fallen instantly into the 'celebrity ugh' bucket, but fuck it - the album is good.

Billie Eilish is very similar to Idles in that I’m sure it’s all good stuff, but it's not aimed at me, and nor should it be. Sometimes, you’ve just got to know when to retire gracefully.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, kalifire said:

The production is definitely the best thing about it, and I'm going to cut her a break when it comes to lyrics. She's still a child - only turned 17 in December. She won't be allowed to buy a drink at Glastonbury! Given she's not really lived yet, it's a bit much to expect her to deliver any stunning insights. I think she's doing just fine.

The worst thing I can say is that she's a bit Tumblr and is going to appeal to the 'I've got depression, it's cool!', suicide-chic crowd. Again, hopefully that's just an age thing. I find her quite dislikeable in interviews I've seen, and it's evident she's come from a place of privilege (not her fault), so she's fallen instantly into the 'celebrity ugh' bucket, but fuck it - the album is good.

I mean sure but there are plenty of other people at that age who have just done fine with lyrics. Pure Heroine was written when Lorde was 16, stuff like Leave (Get Out) by Jojo was written when she was 13 etc. Again it aint a bad album, but I don't think it deserves a lot of the praise I've seen it get (7.2 by Pitchfork, compared to Pure Heroine which got 7.3 etc).

Personally I think all the pop debuts have fallen a little flat this year. Sigrids was the best imo, but nothing spectacular. I kinda forgot Maggie Rodgers released an album this year, Nina Nesbitt's was ll over the place.

Finally got around to Billie Eilish... I wasnt expecting to love it and I do. It's interesting. Shes a literal infant though..  how does someone get there at such a tiny age. At 17 I was like a helpless lifeless mass of confusion. I dont even remember having an opinion or any feeling other than "ugh".

15 hours ago, Quark said:

Big fan of this, never heard of him before so thanks 6Music playlist! Album out end of May.

Also listening to new Richard Hawley track a LOT.

And another +1 for new Black Keys

They keep playing the Richard Hawley track on 6, really enjoying it!

19 minutes ago, Quark said:

Billie Eilish is.....OK. Suspect I may be in the same camp as @Mardy. Which troubles me.

Hehehe. Don’t look back

re: Sinkane, I saw him/them the other year and it was great. I love ‘Telephone’

3 minutes ago, Mardy said:

re: Sinkane, I saw him/them the other year and it was great. I love ‘Telephone’

I'll check out the back catalogue a bit. Got a playlist I'm building up purely of bands I need to investigate a bit further :)