Jump to content
GETOFFAMYLAWN

2019 New Music

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mardy said:

Undoubtedly. And are all the better for it. That song to me sounds like JJ Cale sharing a fat one with the Happy Mondays

 

You kinda want it to break into “So sack all the needy...”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO has anyone gotten on to the potential copyright infringement in the new Vampire weekend song Harmony Hall?

Unless they have already asked permission from George Michael's team? 

It's basically got Freedom playing in the background from about 40 seconds in...  Still bloody love the song though :D

 

Edited by Havors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one from the Mercury Rev Bobbie Gentry thing

Lucinda Williams and the Rev covering Ode to Bille Joe

 

Edited by Mardy
fucked up the link
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nikkic said:

New Bonobo is a vibe. 

He's got a few shows this summer. Looking forward to seeing him on the farm. (fingers crossed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I love about the Weezer covers album is how close the covers are to the original.  Often in a cover you are looking for them to rework it slightly ("make it their own"), but here the joke (for want of a better word) works best because it's just Weezer performing the song as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

New Broco is pretty great imo

 

Really liking this, do you get the Shikari vibes in this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, uscore said:

What I love about the Weezer covers album is how close the covers are to the original.  Often in a cover you are looking for them to rework it slightly ("make it their own"), but here the joke (for want of a better word) works best because it's just Weezer performing the song as it is.

A couple of them are really good. Everybody Wants to Rule the World is great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, uscore said:

What I love about the Weezer covers album is how close the covers are to the original.  Often in a cover you are looking for them to rework it slightly ("make it their own"), but here the joke (for want of a better word) works best because it's just Weezer performing the song as it is.

The cover of Paranoid is flaccid and pointless. They seem like a really bored (and boring) band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

The cover of Paranoid is flaccid and pointless. They seem like a really bored (and boring) band.

I can see how they've opened themselves to that line of criticism. But i think it's deliberate, I think it's a really dry sense of humour.  Just the whole joke is Weezer playing some classic pop songs but very much as weezer songs.

It's also got them a few headlines ahead of their new proper album, which I think is out in March.  So a fun bit of promo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New YAK tune is decent enough, think the long stint in the land of Oz has calmed them down a lot (and line-up changes and all that)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, uscore said:

I can see how they've opened themselves to that line of criticism. But i think it's deliberate, I think it's a really dry sense of humour.  Just the whole joke is Weezer playing some classic pop songs but very much as weezer songs.

It's also got them a few headlines ahead of their new proper album, which I think is out in March.  So a fun bit of promo.

They're not as Weezer songs though, they're really straight covers.

In other news, new Catfish announced... 'The Balance' out 26th April.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hawros said:

They're not as Weezer songs though, they're really straight covers.

 

sure, but Rivers voice is fairly distinctive.  But yeah, straight covers, that's the joke.   Never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, uscore said:

sure, but Rivers voice is fairly distinctive.  But yeah, straight covers, that's the joke.   Never mind.

I understand though - it's frustrating as I love a good cover that does something new with a song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Havors said:

It's basically got Freedom playing in the background from about 40 seconds in...  

First thing I thought when I heard the song!

Probably the Freedom thing will also be borrowed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, StupidDream said:

First thing I thought when I heard the song!

Probably the Freedom thing will also be borrowed

I would imagine so with it being so blatantly the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't see an appropriate thread to drop this so hope this one's ok.

What are the alternatives to 6Music? Pretty happy with it most of the time but it's changed a fair bit in the last couple of years and other than playing my own stuff I'd be interested in somewhere else. Mary Anne Hobbs is just unbearable for me; she makes everythings sound like a Marks and Spencers ad; sometime just want to give her a shake to wake her up. Cerys' show is now almost a no-go for me; just too self indulgent.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 10:57 PM, Superunknown said:

New Maggie Rogers is stunning, loving this album. Overnight is catchy pop bop. 

I second this message. The singles she's released over the past few years take up a large part of the record, but there's still some brilliant new stuff on there and the last three tracks are superb. Watching her set on the John Peel was a highlight of 2017, so I'm really glad the record holds up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SighMo said:

Couldn't see an appropriate thread to drop this so hope this one's ok.

What are the alternatives to 6Music? Pretty happy with it most of the time but it's changed a fair bit in the last couple of years and other than playing my own stuff I'd be interested in somewhere else. Mary Anne Hobbs is just unbearable for me; she makes everythings sound like a Marks and Spencers ad; sometime just want to give her a shake to wake her up. Cerys' show is now almost a no-go for me; just too self indulgent.

KEXP and NTS are the radio stations I listen to, NTS is quite different to 6 Music but KEXP has a fair amount of crossover.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good album. This track's the highlight.

 

Edit: Seen I'm late to the party on this one. Get on it anyway lads and lasses.

Edited by The Placid Casual

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to White Lies new record this Friday. Love all the singles they've released particularly Tokyo and Believe It. Hoping they turn up on the farm as I'm giving the UK tour a miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...