2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

On 1/15/2019 at 9:27 PM, dentalplan said:

I dunno whose idea it was to repackage Jade Bird for the Radio X crowd but tell them I am not fond of them.

Sometimes stick Radio X on when I’m pottering about the kitchen of a weekend, you know, when 6 Music is insufferable? And I  like that Jade Bird one they’ve been playing. What do you mean she’s been repackaged? Has she been about for a while? 

1 hour ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Sometimes stick Radio X on when I’m pottering about the kitchen of a weekend, you know, when 6 Music is insufferable? And I  like that Jade Bird one they’ve been playing. What do you mean she’s been repackaged? Has she been about for a while? 

I think she first caught attention as more of a folky country singer type, and now she’s just doing stuff that any new indie rock band is. Still got a great voice but eh, shit’s disappointing.

First thoughts; James Blake album is great with the exception of 'Mile High' (the Travis Scott collab), might come round to it eventually but on first listen it stood out like an unwelcome sore thumb. 

Sharon Van Etten might be even better though, really dug it on first listen.

Just settling into the Maggie Rogers' record. Real feel good vibe about it, perfect for a sunny day on the farm. I'll dive into James Blake later this afternoon. If he returned, where would he play? Headlining Other Stage? Not sure where to place him after the West Holts set (which was amazing!).

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

New Sharon Van Etten is really excellent. Looking forward to The Twilight Sad, Deerhunter, James Blake and Maggie Rogers for the rest of the day. After a month or so of fuck all new releases it feels great to have so much potentially great new stuff to get my teeth in to.

Only listened to SvA so far today and I agree with you it's a really beautiful album. Felt the second half was really strong but will need a few more listens.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think she first caught attention as more of a folky country singer type, and now she’s just doing stuff that any new indie rock band is. Still got a great voice but eh, shit’s disappointing.

Yeah her voice is brilliant. I must admit that I did think something did feel a bit off about her, something was screaming “industry plant” at me. Couldn’t explain what it was though. Just read there she went to the Brit School, so I wasn’t far wrong. 

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Even bigger if you throw in Lost Under Heaven. ?

What did you make of theirs? I really liked their album from a few years ago but this new one just seemed a bit dull. I'll certainly give it a few more listens but so far nowhere near as good as WU LYF or their first album for me. 

Sharon Van Etten and The Twilight Sad have been the highlights for me so far today. Maggie Rogers album was decent too but doubt it's one I'll come back to too often.