2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

On 12/4/2019 at 8:33 PM, lessthanwill1 said:

Loving it. First half feels very emotional which I love. Nice change of direction in the second half! 2/2 for the singles so far - bring on 28 Feb! 

The verses are fantastic, those synths are lush. The breakdowns and chorus parts are awful though. There is half a good song there.

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

Been a bit of a disappointing year for music in all honestly, glad we've got MGMT/ Kaytranada on the horizon.

Really? Blimey you're a hard man to please, I've had a great year! Agree there have been relatively few life changing albums, but I'd say there's been a steady flow of really good stuff.

Nothing that's floated your boat?

9 hours ago, Quark said:

Really? Blimey you're a hard man to please, I've had a great year! Agree there have been relatively few life changing albums, but I'd say there's been a steady flow of really good stuff.

Nothing that's floated your boat?

That might be true, I still need to check out a few things like FKA Twigs and JPEGMAFIA.

Albums I have been enjoying: Black Midi, Richard Dawson, Little Simz, Angel Olsen, Tyler, Fontaines, Weyes Blood, Weatherday and Big Thief.

Anything you'd reccomend?

1 hour ago, Alex DeLarge said:

That might be true, I still need to check out a few things like FKA Twigs and JPEGMAFIA.

Albums I have been enjoying: Black Midi, Richard Dawson, Little Simz, Angel Olsen, Tyler, Fontaines, Weyes Blood, Weatherday and Big Thief.

Anything you'd reccomend?

Pretty eclectic! I'll avoid some of the obvious ones like Chems and Kiwanuka and go a bit more left field...

Blaenavon

Have A Nice Life

Mammoth Penguins

Palace

Red Rum Club (as recommended by @Gnomicide)

Sacred Paws

Soak

Ten Fe

The Skints

Has anyone checked out Sault? Released 2 albums around summer, both really good. A right mix of sounds, especially in the '5' album. From Massive Attack to Moby with a whole load of groove on top. They've remained elusive as well and nobody has any idea who they are so that's pretty fun.

16 hours ago, PDAD said:

Has anyone checked out Sault? Released 2 albums around summer, both really good. A right mix of sounds, especially in the '5' album. From Massive Attack to Moby with a whole load of groove on top. They've remained elusive as well and nobody has any idea who they are so that's pretty fun.

Theyre brilliant. A great tip.
But I just don’t get this whole ‘under the radar’ shit. Like most people here I’m fairly musically erudite, but I’ve never heard of Sault. OK, things slip by, so forget about me, but your comment is the only comment throughout the whole efestivals site. Zero results on search, nothing on social. That would be fine if the whole mysterious thing was creating a buzz. But their streaming stats are fairly poor.   

What’s the point in being elusive if no one has heard of you.

2 hours ago, anditmakesmesmile said:

Theyre brilliant. A great tip.
But I just don’t get this whole ‘under the radar’ shit. Like most people here I’m fairly musically erudite, but I’ve never heard of Sault. OK, things slip by, so forget about me, but your comment is the only comment throughout the whole efestivals site. Zero results on search, nothing on social. That would be fine if the whole mysterious thing was creating a buzz. But their streaming stats are fairly poor.   

What’s the point in being elusive if no one has heard of you.

Yeah I do agree really. I suppose it is a gimmick that may work, may not. As you say, streaming figures and buzz at the moment suggest it's not taken off at all so far. The one thing I guess would make sense is if it's a project involving someone pretty famous who doesn't want to associate their name with the project at the moment either because they are just having a bit of fun at this stage, or because it's a complete departure from their other stuff. 

Reminds me a little of MC Honky, but even with MC Honky, the buzz was created by a lot of promotion by E anyway and theres been nothing like that with Sault. 

Fair few duds on the new Stormzy album unfortunately (Rainfall and Do Better have such crappy hooks), but some bangers too. One Second could easily be a hit imo and honestly the tracey beaker cover is iconic.

So much to catch up on this week. Still got the Harry Styles, Kaytranada and The Nationals albums to go.