2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

On 10/25/2019 at 10:47 AM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Ive been on non-stop Caroline Polachek for a week over here. Shit is incredible.

That was a fine shout Lawn. Never heard of her before your post but I'm liking the album a lot.

Edited by Quark

There were so many albums released last week, any good ones? I was away at the weekend, only really gone through Desert Sessions (good! Left me wanting a bit more but enjoyable enough, loved Chic Tweetz) and Kanye's (nah).

As if we get a new Gang Starr album tomorrow, singles sound great. Warmduscher, Micheal Kiwanuka and Jeffery Lewis as well, should be good. 

15 minutes ago, priest17 said:

There were so many albums released last week, any good ones? I was away at the weekend, only really gone through Desert Sessions (good! Left me wanting a bit more but enjoyable enough, loved Chic Tweetz) and Kanye's (nah).

As if we get a new Gang Starr album tomorrow, singles sound great. Warmduscher, Micheal Kiwanuka and Jeffery Lewis as well, should be good. 

Catching up myself, only ones I listened to last week were Stereophonics (really wouldn't bother but I wanted to give them benefit of the doubt) and London Elektricity (great if you like LE, no idea what you'd think of it if you're not a fan!). Week before but Lawn's right, loving the Caroline Polachek album.

Got Blaenavon, Cigarettes After Sex and Neil Young on my list for this afternoon as I'm WFH :)

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Catching up myself, only ones I listened to last week were Stereophonics (really wouldn't bother but I wanted to give them benefit of the doubt) and London Elektricity (great if you like LE, no idea what you'd think of it if you're not a fan!). Week before but Lawn's right, loving the Caroline Polachek album.

Got Blaenavon, Cigarettes After Sex and Neil Young on my list for this afternoon as I'm WFH :)

Thank you for listening to Stereophonics for me ahah, I'll take your word on that one. Never listened to London Elektricity so I'll give that a go. I'll give the CP one a go as well.

I've got Dry Cleaning's new EP on at the moment, holds up to the first EP, worth a go if you're into moody post-punk. Love the front-woman's delivery, intense without actually doing out. Remembered Iguana Death Cult released their album last week as well, singles sounded great (garage rock)

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Thank you for listening to Stereophonics for me ahah, I'll take your word on that one. Never listened to London Elektricity so I'll give that a go. I'll give the CP one a go as well.

I've got Dry Cleaning's new EP on at the moment, holds up to the first EP, worth a go if you're into moody post-punk. Love the front-woman's delivery, intense without actually doing out. Remembered Iguana Death Cult released their album last week as well, singles sounded great (garage rock)

LE's the guy behind Hospital Records, drum & bass but really melodic.

10 minutes ago, northernringo said:

What do you all use to track upcoming new album releases?

Twitter, Q Magazine, this thread, word of mouth.

Twitter feeds, 6 music in particular, plus labels like Rough Trade. Also Brighton venues as tour announcements often coincide with music releases. 

The other one is new releases on Deezer. Once new music starts appearing I'll start checking if there's an album to follow. And Fridays I'll always have a trawl through the new releases and see what grabs my attention 

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Quark said:

Twitter, Q Magazine, this thread, word of mouth.

Twitter feeds, 6 music in particular, plus labels like Rough Trade. Also Brighton venues as tour announcements often coincide with music releases. 

The other one is new releases on Deezer. Once new music starts appearing I'll start checking if there's an album to follow. And Fridays I'll always have a trawl through the new releases and see what grabs my attention 

Thanks for the info.

In my job I can sit and listen to music all day at my desk so trying to broaden my horizons a little. This thread (and forum in general) have already introduced me to so much great music.

I hadn't even heard of Wolf Alice, Lizzo, Nick Cave, etc. before this forum I'm ashamed to admit... I guess that's what happens when you listed to The Beatles/The Who/The Kinks/Beach Boys on repeat!

3 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Thanks for the info.

In my job I can sit and listen to music all day at my desk so trying to broaden my horizons a little. This thread (and forum in general) have already introduced me to so much great music.

I hadn't even heard of Wolf Alice, Lizzo, Nick Cave, etc. before this forum I'm ashamed to admit... I guess that's what happens when you listed to The Beatles/The Who/The Kinks/Beach Boys on repeat!

Ditto.  I tended to get stuck listening to what I listened to, especially as none of my friends are really music types. Without something or someone to introduce you to stuff, you do tend to sit in a bit of a rut.

Combination of Glastonbury, this place and streaming has sent me in completely the opposite direction.  I'm an absolute magpie and will listen to pretty much anything (in terms of genres), so I'll just go exploring stuff now. But it does mean I have to remind myself to revisit stuff I've loved and forgotten to listen to for a while :D

57 minutes ago, northernringo said:

There's a website called Kingdom Leaks (I won't leave the actual link here coz its not completely above board) but down the side they have all the stuff that's just come out and is coming out. I stopped downloading leaks years ago in an attempt to completely cut out pirating when I started earning full time but its pretty good having that list because it has bigger bands and small bands. Even if you just like the name of a band you can google them and find it out what they're like.

Following small labels on twitter is good as well (speedy wunderland are on fire right now) as well as bands that promote their friends.

1 hour ago, northernringo said:

I find AOTY pretty decent too, especially if you dont mind a mix of genres as you can just look at the top rated stuff. Plus they have a recent releases section so its slightly easier to find stuff you miss too.

Other than that here and reddit.

33 minutes ago, tjamest said:

I use Any Decent Music a lot, doesn't give you a heads up on what will be released, but collates all the album reviews in one place.

http://www.anydecentmusic.com/

Big fan of this, more UK-centric than AOTY (or Metacritic which is similar) and better presented too. Doesn't give you a list of release dates but as the default chart is stuff released in the last 6 weeks it's always reasonably current (plus highest recent ratings down the left-hand side).

And, undoubtedly, this thread and its predecessors have given me loads of good stuff in recent years.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin