2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

3 hours ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Not sure if this is the relevant thread... 

Seen Squid last night at Yes in Manchester, and wow, what a gig. Caught them at Glasto and thought they were fantastic but last night exceeded that by far. Their debut EP has been well received so hopefully they’ll be back on the farm. 

Fancied that but was at Black Midi at White Hotel instead, they were great in the basement in July though. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much attention they're getting at the moment, they're in loadsa publications and made it into the 6Music playlist. Dunno where they'd end up if the played again next year. 

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Fancied that but was at Black Midi at White Hotel instead, they were great in the basement in July though. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much attention they're getting at the moment, they're in loadsa publications and made it into the 6Music playlist. Dunno where they'd end up if the played again next year. 

Likewise with Black Midi - little annoyed both were booked for the same night!

Considering it was midday they had a relatively decent crowd at Glasto (didnt make the other set due to clashes), so if they contiue to drop banger after banger, like the whole of their town centre EP, then its anyone's guess! Ended with Match Bet last night and IMO it received a better reception than Houseplants did!

2 hours ago, the wonderwhy said:

if anyone's going to see Squid on this defo get down early for this lot supporting. Fuckin blew me away 

Made a conscious effort to get there in plenty of time for the support act last night and it did not disappoint. Visuals were spectacular and accompanied the music perfectly. 

At £10 a ticket last night was an absolute steal 

Always good to catch support acts regardless, chance to see some really good acts that might not be or on your radar or so easy to see next time!  Girl Ray, Wood Burning Savages, Peaness, Spector, Matthew & The Atlas, Gaz Brookfield, Ferocious Dog, Staves & Bare Jams have all been well worth catching!

Footnote: admittedly you run the risk of catching some absolute dogshite, but there's always the bar :lol:

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Always good to catch support acts regardless, chance to see some really good acts that might not be or on your radar or so easy to see next time!  Girl Ray, Wood Burning Savages, Peaness, Spector, Matthew & The Atlas, Gaz Brookfield, Ferocious Dog, Staves & Bare Jams have all been well worth catching!

Footnote: admittedly you run the risk of catching some absolute dogshite, but there's always the bar :lol:

Gaz Brookfield's playing The Monarch in Camden on 13th Nov for anyone interested. Great fun and a really nice guy. Played a few open mics with him back in Bristol 2009-2012 time and was always a lovely lad despite being 100 times better than anyone else.

Girl Ray are great, too.

Shit this week is stacked for album releases. King Princess, SebastiAn, Kanye West, Rex Orange County, Gallant, Amon Tobin, Blaenavon, Michael Kiwanuka, Underworld, Magic Sword, Verite, PVRIS and then maybe Adele too (wasn't FKA Twigs also due out today too? Kinda glad that one got pushed back)

I think I like those Coldplay tracks. Orphans doesn't sound a mile away from their other recent stuff, but Arabesque is definitely different. It'll take another couple of listens, but fair play for doing something different.

New Stereophonics on the other hand...it certainly...exists. I mean that's pretty much all I can say. 

That new Courteeners tune (not LJ).... less shite than usual. Very much "meh", but "meh" is better than "turd".

The Chris Martin supergroup - 1 of the tunes (Arabesque?) is not that bad. Probably as there is an effect to make Señor Martin sound slightly less dull.

The other is as said above in my opinion, just less shite than normal.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop