2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

Messy noisy post-punk. Friends of mine. One of those songs that changes into a different song part-way in. Cameo from 'Sykes' of Danny Baker's cult 1991 TV Show, 'The Game'. It's got it all.

Just finished my first listen of ENSWBL pt 2 - it’s a decent record with some good songs on there, but it’s nothing special at all is it?! Also it certainly isn’t as ‘heavy’ as they were making it out to be when it was first released!

I think we can all agree that the two part album just hasn’t really worked here. If they had released it as a combined 12 track album, and cut the filler, it could have been a very good album indeed.

I’m a massive Foals fan, but for me, rather than having one potentially 9/10 album, they have just released two 6/10 ones. 

Edited by st dan

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Just finished my first listen of ENSWBL pt 2 - it’s a decent record with some good songs on there, but it’s nothing special at all is it?! Also it certainly isn’t as ‘heavy’ as they were making it out to be when it was first released!

I think we can all agree that the two part album just hasn’t really worked here. If they had released it as a combined 12 track album, and cut the filler, it could have been a very good album indeed.

I’m a massive Foals fan, but for me, rather than having one potentially 9/10 album, they have just released two 6/10 ones. 

I thought part one was of a better standard than this second part, but yeah, maybe trim one or two from part one and then add four or so from this one and you’d have a really solid album. Pt.2 has a lot more generic songs you imagine they can just reel out in an afternoon.

21 minutes ago, nikkic said:

New Tourist album is ace.

2 albums out this year and both have been shit hot.

Completely forgot this was even on the way but yeah really digging it. 

1 hour ago, st dan said:

Not all the way through yet but I think you are going to be right.

23 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Next on the list!

2 hours ago, st dan said:

Disagree. While I'm not gonna sit here and argue that they're wildly different I do think there's enough distance between the two to make them distinctive and if they'd just mashed the best songs together, it would've sounded messy. 

23 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

Disagree. While I'm not gonna sit here and argue that they're wildly different I do think there's enough distance between the two to make them distinctive and if they'd just mashed the best songs together, it would've sounded messy. 

I get that, but I just don’t feel there is enough quality in either to justify releasing two albums within 9 months.

If they wanted to go down each distinctive sound and route, then I believe they would have been better recording a full length album of each style, several years apart as is the norm.

To me, it just seems like they had 20 songs written and recorded, and didn’t know which to cut down, so they came up with this concept. 

10 hours ago, nikkic said:

Pretty sure it was you who switched me on to him earlier this year? Really like the 2nd album, maybe a bit more upbeat that the first? Made my afternoon at work fly in anyway. 

19 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

It's a few weeks old now but just discovered this, what an absolutely huge tune.

They were probably my greatest find at glasto,. Cant remember exactly which year (2007 or 2008? ) but it was early afternoon at the Jp and I had a monster hangover lying outside the tent and suddenly Lovely Allen could be heard from inside. Totally blew me away, got up, went in and danced like a tit, it's even on you tube somewhere me dancing like a lune. Loved them ever since, they were back a few years later, I think in William's Green and they were ace then as well. Some great tunes