2019 New Music

Amy Lawn

Just here to plug my mate's alt-pop band Mealtime. They're doing pretty well for themselves just now, been picked up by BBC introducing and been played on the radio a couple of times. Genuinely really like their music and I reckon a few on here will too. Check them out if you have a couple of minutes spare!

Liam Gallagher album out today & I am a little baffled by it tbh. 

It's basically a load of shit Beatles / Lennon ballads. Not much in the way of Rock & or Roll in it. Halo has an old rock n roll piano. I like that. Invisible sun is alright, but it's like a poor version of Love Spreads. Glimmer is very George Ezra. 

Overall.  Naff. Im disappointed

5 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Liam Gallagher album out today & I am a little baffled by it tbh. 

It's basically a load of shit Beatles / Lennon ballads. Not much in the way of Rock & or Roll in it. Halo has an old rock n roll piano. I like that. Invisible sun is alright, but it's like a poor version of Love Spreads. Glimmer is very George Ezra. 

Overall.  Naff. Im disappointed

I really didn't expect much after the pre-release songs all being pretty shite and I was right to do so. There were a few songs on his first album that I enjoyed but this one isn't doing much for me at all. Clearly happier to stick to MOR ballads than rocking out.

24 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'm only half way through the Brittany Howard (of Alabama Shakes fame) album and it seems worth a go. 

Just finished it. Doesn’t reach the heights of AS for me, still a pleasant listen though. 

Could happily sit at The Park mid afternoon and watch her.

26 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'm only half way through the Brittany Howard (of Alabama Shakes fame) album and it seems worth a go. 

Me too, managed to listen to three or four tracks during my lunchbreak and its Ok on first listen, but i feel may be a real grower as there is alot of different styles in there.

Heard the She Drew The Gun's version of Trouble Every Day on the radio yesterday and loved it. Looking forward to seeing them/her in a few weeks time.

Definitely a quieter week for releases. New Georgia single was alright but not as good as her last one. The Will Joseph Cook cut I thought was excellent.

New Cashmere Cat was nice (was quite worried after the shitty Major Lazer collab) but very short for an album (only 18 mins total). Happy with the Dusky EP, L.I. is the highlight by far. New Tom Tripp EP is quite a big change of direction for him, some tracks sound very Weeknd inspired, a very mixed bag honestly. Spotify also recommended me the Otherkin EP, definitely not how I remember their old stuff sounding. It's not groundbreaking but its pretty solid. Still got Tove Lo to go but I've not heard good things (and her albums are usually very patchy anyway).

Also finally got around to listening to some of the albums I missed. Igor and Grey Area both deserve the acclaim they've gotten, would definitely reccomend people listen to them if they haven't already. Freya Ridings album was pretty garbage though.

12 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I really didn't expect much after the pre-release songs all being pretty shite and I was right to do so. There were a few songs on his first album that I enjoyed but this one isn't doing much for me at all. Clearly happier to stick to MOR ballads than rocking out.

I also had a quick listen to it earlier and agree with what you and Fuzzy say. A load of Beatles/Stones pastiches, nothing particularly memorable to it.

Been listening to the new Dizraeli album, The Unmaster. Not quite sure what to make of it in its entirety - certainly some interesting sounds coming out of it, but most tracks are less than 90 seconds long and I finished thinking it probably made more sense in his head than it did to me as a listener. Still, this is a nice tune.

Desert Sessions Vols. 11 & 12
Arrivederci Despair
Tightwads & Nitwits & Critics & Heels
Available October 25, 2019

Some of the contributors:  Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top), Stella Mozgawa (Warpaint), Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters), Mike Kerr (Royal Blood), Carla Azar (Autolux, Jack White), Les Claypool (Primus), Matt Sweeney and Matt Berry.